Around The NHL #7 - Let's Make A Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I believe this is Finland. Stadium packed...fans masked up... totally doable.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Not surprised, thought Dadonov would do the same but I guess he isn't confident he can produce without Barkov and Huberdeau.

I wonder where Hoffman thinks he has the best chance to put up a bunch of points. Colorado? Edmonton?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I have always had a man crush on Hoffman, he’s one I have wanted for years. Pure goal scorer. Probably can’t afford him but damn it would be nice.

I had a similar man crush on Alex Tanguay. We were rumored to be going after him in like 2008-2009 and I just remember obsessing about it. He ended up going to Montreal or something like that and my dreams were crushed. We ended up getting him in the late stages of his career so I’m assuming we’ll pick up Hoffman for a quarter of a season when he’s 36.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have always had a man crush on Hoffman, he’s one I have wanted for years. Pure goal scorer. Probably can’t afford him but damn it would be nice.

I had a similar man crush on Alex Tanguay. We were rumored to be going after him in like 2008-2009 and I just remember obsessing about it. He ended up going to Montreal or something like that and my dreams were crushed. We ended up getting him in the late stages of his career so I’m assuming we’ll pick up Hoffman for a quarter of a season when he’s 36.
Probably not while OEL is around.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Probably not while OEL is around.
I don’t think Bill Armstrong is the type to let OEL call the shots right now. I mean if he is sincerely trying to repair the relationship then yeah, he will probably ask Oliver to provide him with any concerns/future concerns. That said, Oliver kind of tired his hands. If Bill Armstrong sees an opportunity to better his team, I’m not sure he would really ask for his permission.

Still probably won’t happen, he’ll probably ask for 6M

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure why Toronto is bothering with Thornton when they already have Spezza. A little redundant. I think you can have one of those guys but they have a whole line of geriatrics now when you factor in Simmonds too.

Reactions: Jakey53 and 0point1

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not sure why Toronto is bothering with Thornton when they already have Spezza. A little redundant. I think you can have one of those guys but they have a whole line of geriatrics now when you factor in Simmonds too.

It's free depth they can bury if it doesn't work. No downside to it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Funny how DeAngelo has become the most valuable piece out of Stepan, Raanta for 7th overall and DeAngelo.
Enough time has passed to fully judge this trade. Clear win Rangers, who moved out nearly $7M/AAV in the short-term and Tony D has done more in NY than Stepan/Raanta have done combined in Arizona. The 7th OA in 2017 turned into the 60OA in 2020.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Thornton, Spezza and Simmons may be good in the room but it is on ice performance that counts. These guys are old and with the probable condensed schedule these signings are a big nothing burger.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Matthews, Tavares, Spezza and Thornton. Have we ever had a C with as much career success as any of them?

They're not C's but I suppose we've had Pronger, Datsyuk, Hull, Hossa and Amonte all grace our payroll.

Reactions: AJ171181

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The season starts 1 Jan, so when is training camp? I'm hearing rumors of Nov 15th. I know it's not business as usual, but seems like the league needs to make some decisions.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Enough time has passed to fully judge this trade. Clear win Rangers, who moved out nearly $7M/AAV in the short-term and Tony D has done more in NY than Stepan/Raanta have done combined in Arizona. The 7th OA in 2017 turned into the 60OA in 2020.
I don't know that it changes the overall outcome judgment, but I think Stepan always brought intangible production to the team such as mentoring the younger players like Keller as they lined up together often. I also think you to give him credit for being reliable enough to step in where the younger players could not be relied upon defensively. He's vaunted as one of the most likely players in the league to become a future coach, so I do think his influence on the younger core has been positive and doesn't show up strictly on the scoresheet. I agree with your assessment, but not to the same degree.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know that it changes the overall outcome judgment, but I think Stepan always brought intangible production to the team such as mentoring the younger players like Keller as they lined up together often. I also think you to give him credit for being reliable enough to step in where the younger players could not be relied upon defensively. He's vaunted as one of the most likely players in the league to become a future coach, so I do think his influence on the younger core has been positive and doesn't show up strictly on the scoresheet. I agree with your assessment, but not to the same degree.
That is why the Coyotes traded for him. All what the young one's learned from Stepan was how to drink Bud Lite and try to be funny in a presser after being humiliated and eliminated in the playoffs. We got one good year out of him, and then pure dog shit. RT, our brilliant coach, gave Stepan more TOI than any forward not named Hall. Maybe BA can knock some sense into these two, but I don't like his chances. BOTH should be out on their ears.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
It’s either Bud Light, or Miller Lite. There is no Bud Lite. Unless he’s drinking some weird concoction of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad