Around The NHL #7 - Let's Make A Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Being in Arizona, and also not paying close attention to this pandemic, it seems the numbers have gone down ever since there really scary peak, that shocked people into behaving a bit more responsibly. Was that really crazy spike responsible for people taking hand-washing, sanitizer, face masks, and social distancing seriously? Are those measures that have become common-place the reason for the declining numbers? I mean, Arizona is basically totally open again, right? And has been for some time, I think, unless I'm mistaken. But the pandemic seems to have mostly disappeared here, hasn't it? Why?

Couldn't they play games at 1/3 capacity and regulate proximity outside of household groups? Require masks, provide sanitizer, and stress distance and hand-washing? Wouldn't that be mostly like the outside world? And isn't the way the outside world is behaving pretty much okay? (at least around here?)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Being in Arizona, and also not paying close attention to this pandemic, it seems the numbers have gone down ever since there really scary peak, that shocked people into behaving a bit more responsibly. Was that really crazy spike responsible for people taking hand-washing, sanitizer, face masks, and social distancing seriously? Are those measures that have become common-place the reason for the declining numbers? I mean, Arizona is basically totally open again, right? And has been for some time, I think, unless I'm mistaken. But the pandemic seems to have mostly disappeared here, hasn't it? Why?

Couldn't they play games at 1/3 capacity and regulate proximity outside of household groups? Require masks, provide sanitizer, and stress distance and hand-washing? Wouldn't that be mostly like the outside world? And isn't the way the outside world is behaving pretty much okay? (at least around here?)
Not that you will see this but it does not look done to me??

United States Coronavirus: 8,150,043 Cases and 221,843 Deaths - Worldometer

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Totals have been high in the states for the whole thing. In Canada, a 2nd wave was declared a few weeks ago. Totals per capita have jumped to levels almost as to what the US had all through summer. Ontario has reintroduced some restrictions on restaurants and bars.

With how COVID has been handled in the US, Americans will not be allowed into the country until there's a vaccine that has been widely administered. The government had issues with allowing the CFL to restart and bringing players in for it. The NHL has enough influence that they were able to get it done by providing a strict protocol they would follow. But I highly doubt they could convince the government to allow regular travel for games to be allowed. The MLB couldn't get it done with travel to only one city. There will have to be bubbles where players and staff are able to quarantine for 14 days. Or have the entire season played in the states.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think the League can afford to play without fans as Gary said seat revenue is roughly 50% of total.
Of course they can't. It's time people come to their senses and take their life back. Most are waiting for the miracle vaccine, thinking it will cure everything, but even if we get it, it will only help about 40% of the people, just like the flu vaccine. Social media and the politicians are playing with our minds.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Here's the short version. When Ducey agreed to a mask mandate, AZ cases went down by 75%. Then he decided to allow everything to start to reopen, and schools started bringing kids back in for in-person classes, and now cases are spiking again. I currently have a daughter waiting to see if she needs to quarantine because someone at her school tested positive and they can't say who, so we have to wait for the contact tracing process to conclude.

Arizona is not totally open - there are still some restrictions in place at restaurants and there are still social distancing requirements in place - but a lot of people around here are acting like it is, and that means we're probably due for another ride up the roller coaster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
TV revenue is better than no revenue.

I doubt in Canada that fans will be allowed until the spring or until there's a vaccine. Some states would be similar, and others would only allow a limited capacity. I guess ideally they could have small crowds and pray that no players catch it. There won't be full attendance until some point in the 21-22 season.

Edit: I also highly doubt the Canadian government would allow regular cross border travel until a vaccine has been widely administrated in the States. The Blue Jays had to play in Buffalo.
I would imagine the NHL won't get the full contract amount if there is less games played or no fans.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Really? You have to ask that question? Open up the arena's, the country.
No shit Jake? You serious? That never crossed my mind.

Pay the f*** attention in the world, the country isn’t going to open by the time the new season starts. There’s going to be no fans in the stands. The World Series is going on right now which is 10x’s what a NHL hockey game is and there no fans.

NBA finals, no fans.

Enclosed arenas, no fans.

Dont be a smart ass.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
It's getting cold up North. If there's no NHL, I'm not sure how I'm going to pass the winter months. Open to suggestions.
Send us central europeans some winter.
Man i did not see a real winter in years. I want snow. Now.

Reactions: sundance74

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From a public health standpoint, trends aren't going the right way to have full capacity back by January or February. They just aren't. And the upcoming election isn't going to do a thing to change the data - just the response to it.

A lot of these decisions, of course, are going to be made by private entities like the NHL and NBA. They're going to be motivated less by government data and more by a fear of liability. The spectre of a hockey fan, for example, going to a game and coming down with - or, worse, dying from - COVID-19 and the team and/or league being held liable is a real problem. The lawyerly among you might point out that every ticket has a waiver that disavows culpability for "Acts of God" and other calamities, but a pandemic is something of a special case, and even if they could win in the courts, they would be savaged in the court of public opinion.

Putting aside the "swinging dick" position where everyone just pretends that COVID is a cold and everything just goes back to "normal," cold turkey, we have to look at things realistically. Believe what you want about the pandemic and the numbers - but liability is the most frightening thing that wealthy people and big companies face. So be assured that right now the NHL is ferociously debating what to do and when to do it, and you can be sure that they'll go with the option that protects them and their assets the best (not necessarily the fans).

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
From a public health standpoint, trends aren't going the right way to have full capacity back by January or February. They just aren't. And the upcoming election isn't going to do a thing to change the data - just the response to it.

A lot of these decisions, of course, are going to be made by private entities like the NHL and NBA. They're going to be motivated less by government data and more by a fear of liability. The spectre of a hockey fan, for example, going to a game and coming down with - or, worse, dying from - COVID-19 and the team and/or league being held liable is a real problem. The lawyerly among you might point out that every ticket has a waiver that disavows culpability for "Acts of God" and other calamities, but a pandemic is something of a special case, and even if they could win in the courts, they would be savaged in the court of public opinion.

Putting aside the "swinging dick" position where everyone just pretends that COVID is a cold and everything just goes back to "normal," cold turkey, we have to look at things realistically. Believe what you want about the pandemic and the numbers - but liability is the most frightening thing that wealthy people and big companies face. So be assured that right now the NHL is ferociously debating what to do and when to do it, and you can be sure that they'll go with the option that protects them and their assets the best (not necessarily the fans).

Some NFL stadiums are allowing fans as are some MLB teams. I don't see a liability angle. Is it different than airlines, restaurants, bars, gyms, goat yoga, etc?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Some NFL stadiums are allowing fans as are some MLB teams. I don't see a liability angle. Is it different than airlines, restaurants, bars, gyms, goat yoga, etc?

Well, it's a bit of apples and oranges, isn't it? NFL stadiums and MLB stadiums are, nearly entirely, outdoor venues. Same with racetracks, which is why NASCAR and IndyCar have been letting fans come back. It's when you get to venues where the air is recirculated. Because COVID has now proven to be transmissible by aerosol and not just droplets, closed facilities such as restaurants, airplanes, hockey arenas, etc., have a higher risk of transmission even with social distancing and face coverings.

Now, that's not to say that proper protocols wouldn't allow for a graduated, measured return for fans. But I can guarantee you that liability concerns are paramount to everyone involved in any business that has a venue with close contact. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when the NHL and others begin to let fans back into the venues, the fine print on the back of ticket agreements gets significantly more voluminous, with specific language about COVID included.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well, it's a bit of apples and oranges, isn't it? NFL stadiums and MLB stadiums are, nearly entirely, outdoor venues. Same with racetracks, which is why NASCAR and IndyCar have been letting fans come back. It's when you get to venues where the air is recirculated. Because COVID has now proven to be transmissible by aerosol and not just droplets, closed facilities such as restaurants, airplanes, hockey arenas, etc., have a higher risk of transmission even with social distancing and face coverings.

Now, that's not to say that proper protocols wouldn't allow for a graduated, measured return for fans. But I can guarantee you that liability concerns are paramount to everyone involved in any business that has a venue with close contact. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when the NHL and others begin to let fans back into the venues, the fine print on the back of ticket agreements gets significantly more voluminous, with specific language about COVID included.

Throw in some HEPA filters and call it good. Works for the airlines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Why don't we all just wear Star Wars helmets? Darth Vaders, Storm Troopers, Mandalorians, etc all walking around looking cool and safe! Unless you're a Jedi of course. Then you can just use the force to kill covid.

Reactions: _Del_ and Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln