Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
McDavid, Drai and Nurse adding up to 30.25M per year. Oilers going for the Leafs "top heavy approach"

But to be fair those three Oilers play half the game but don't take up half the cap

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Oilers will never be able to build depth with that much salary on three players, even if two of them are some of the best in the league

perennial imbalance

Their forwards actually look pretty good for the upcoming season. It's their D that took a massive downgrade and banking on Smith to repeat last year is risky.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Their forwards actually look pretty good for the upcoming season. It's their D that took a massive downgrade and banking on Smith to repeat last year is risky.

I like their forward group allot this season. That D and goaltending could be an adventure though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I like their forward group allot this season. That D and goaltending could be an adventure though.

Yeah I think Ryan and Foegele were smart pickups, and Hyman will offer value for a while at least. Suspect they finish top 2 or 3 in the Pacific, which will be pretty ropey, and could go far if goaltending holds up.

Reactions: ps241

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah I think Ryan and Foegele were smart pickups, and Hyman will offer value for a while at least. Suspect they finish top 2 or 3 in the Pacific, which will be pretty ropey, and could go far if goaltending holds up.

I think they're a clear 2nd in the division and probably can give Vegas a run in a playoff series, though that's more unlikely if Vegas eventually gets Eichel.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It all depends on the style of play. Islanders play winning defensive hockey or you can play losing offensive Oilers' hockey.
Remember what Cherry say about his #1 defenceman Brad Park. He said Park could have been the leading scoring defenceman every year but he told him to play defence.
I would be shocked if Pionk get more than $6 million.

Its not like Pionk doesn't play defence.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Pionk feels any need to stick with the Jets if he doesn't get what he wants. At 26 years old he is 1 more year away from UFA. He can go to arb, likely get more than $7m based on the contracts being handed out and walk to FA where he probably gets even more money. Why would Pionk take less money to stick with the Jets? Right now based on the contracts being handed out if I'm his agent I'm looking around and seeing that my client is worth at least $7, likely more on a long term deal. I hope this isn't how it plays out but I just have a bad feeling.

Jones is getting $9.5
Werenski is getting $9.58
Nurse is getting $9.25
Chabot is getting $8
Trouba is getting $8
Ekblad is getting $7.5
Provorov is getting $6.75
Faulk is getting $6.5

If I'm him I'm thinking my value is probably $7.5 at minimum.

You mean to say "he is 1 more year away from UFA" after this coming season? He has 2 RFA seasons to go.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
McDavid, Drai and Nurse adding up to 30.25M per year. Oilers going for the Leafs "top heavy approach"

But to be fair those three Oilers play half the game but don't take up half the cap

But they only make up half the players on the ice for half the game. Therefore entitled to 1 quarter of the cap on an hourly basis. That = 20.375 mil, not 30.25. :laugh:

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What are the chances of that goaltending holding up? Smith suddenly comes up with a career year at age 38. Flukiest fluke season of fluke seasons. I give it 1 chance in about 14 million (Lotto 649 odds) of repeating.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I see it as:

Leafs
Jets (if our D changes workout well & PLD rebounds we could battle Leafs for top Canadian team)
Habs
Oilers
Calgary
Sens/Nucks

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What are the chances of that goaltending holding up? Smith suddenly comes up with a career year at age 38. Flukiest fluke season of fluke seasons. I give it 1 chance in about 14 million (Lotto 649 odds) of repeating.

That division is awful though. They should get 2nd just from McDavid and Draisaitl alone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That division is awful though. They should get 2nd just from McDavid and Draisaitl alone.

Probably - but not going anywhere. I forget, do 2nd place teams crossover with the other div in the 1st rd or would they not get swept until the 2nd rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad