Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
i think pelech is better than pionk, but pionk puts up more points. and points generally lead to more $$$
It all depends on the style of play. Islanders play winning defensive hockey or you can play losing offensive Oilers' hockey.
Remember what Cherry say about his #1 defenceman Brad Park. He said Park could have been the leading scoring defenceman every year but he told him to play defence.
I would be shocked if Pionk get more than $6 million.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It all depends on the style of play. Islanders play winning defensive hockey or you can play losing offensive Oilers' hockey.
Remember what Cherry say about his #1 defenceman Brad Park. He said Park could have been the leading scoring defenceman every year but he told him to play defence.
I would be shocked if Poink get more than $6 million.
i am not sure the point you're getting at? pelech is great defensively one of the best in the league according to the stat guys. but it seems like gm's traditionally pay more for pts for dmen.

i dont see pionk as a 1-way offenseive dman like barrie, he's far more well-rounded and physical, while still putting up points......atleast from pionk's showing this year

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Oilers f’ing up the market for other teams, unless Holland is that terrible of a GM. Probably the latter.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wow that Nurse deal is so bad, I don’t even think he’s a 7 million cap hit D man, never mind 9.25 million. Wow that’s bad

It scares me to think about what Pionk's camp is asking for right now. He could easily ask for $7 with the deals being handed out right now.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It scares me to think about what Pionk's camp is asking for right now. He could easily ask for $7 with the deals being handed out right now.

Asking? Who cares

What the GM gives him in the end matters, 9.25 million is brutally bad for Nurse.

I’m expecting Pionk in the 6.5-7 range, other then physical size/fighting Pionk is as good as Nurse IMO. Pionk was cursed with a smaller frame for D man, but he plays with a huge heart, great skater and moves the puck well. Pionk plays on the PK, Nurse doesn’t even play on the PK b/c he’s bad at it

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Asking? Who cares

What the GM gives him in the end matters, 9.25 million is brutally bad for Nurse.

I’m expecting Pionk in the 6.5-7 range, other then physical size/fighting Pionk is as good as Nurse IMO. Pionk was cursed with a smaller frame for D man, but he plays with a huge heart, great skater and moves the puck well. Pionk plays on the PK, Nurse doesn’t even play on the PK b/c he’s bad at it

I don't think Pionk feels any need to stick with the Jets if he doesn't get what he wants. At 26 years old he is 1 more year away from UFA. He can go to arb, likely get more than $7m based on the contracts being handed out and walk to FA where he probably gets even more money. Why would Pionk take less money to stick with the Jets? Right now based on the contracts being handed out if I'm his agent I'm looking around and seeing that my client is worth at least $7, likely more on a long term deal. I hope this isn't how it plays out but I just have a bad feeling.

Jones is getting $9.5
Werenski is getting $9.58
Nurse is getting $9.25
Chabot is getting $8
Trouba is getting $8
Ekblad is getting $7.5
Provorov is getting $6.75
Faulk is getting $6.5

If I'm him I'm thinking my value is probably $7.5 at minimum.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Pionk feels any need to stick with the Jets if he doesn't get what he wants. At 26 years old he is 1 more year away from UFA. He can go to arb, likely get more than $7m based on the contracts being handed out and walk to FA where he probably gets even more money. Why would Pionk take less money to stick with the Jets? Right now based on the contracts being handed out if I'm his agent I'm looking around and seeing that my client is worth at least $7, likely more on a long term deal. I hope this isn't how it plays out but I just have a bad feeling.

Jones is getting $9.5
Nurse is getting $9.25
Chabot is getting $8
Trouba is getting $8
Ekblad is getting $7.5
Faulk is getting $6.5

Huge difference between Pionk name and never have being drafted and all those guys on your list. Not big difference between 7 & 7.5 on a long term deal so that’s kinda splitting hairs. Point being he doesn’t get any where close to 9.25 was my point. If he digs in his heels and demands 9+ or won’t sign long term…..then trade him. Pionk is a solid player but not super star. Pionk doesn’t seem like the kinda of guy who will try to screw over a team for every dime he can get IMO. He will get a huge raise and his future is taken care of……….he will get around 6.5-7.5 million IMO long term. Another option is less cap hit but short term like 3-4 years only, but I doubt that happens

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Jones is getting $9.5
Nurse is getting $9.25
Chabot is getting $8
Trouba is getting $8
Ekblad is getting $7.5
Faulk is getting $6.5

I think Pionk has two more RFA years. That can make a big difference in contract negotiations.

The Jets have been real grinders in negotiations, so it's possible that they'll take this down to the wire with Pionk's arbitration hearing. If Pionk goes to arbitration, he'll be getting a relatively low value 1-year deal, and he'll still be an RFA at the end of it.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Jones is getting $9.5
Nurse is getting $9.25
Chabot is getting $8
Trouba is getting $8
Ekblad is getting $7.5
Faulk is getting $6.5

His birthday is actually right before the cut off so two more years away from UFA*

A lot of these deals are also eating up a lot of UFA years, that won't be the case for this contract seeing as Pionk has 2 more RFA years, so that should bring the contract down a bit. Also he's perceived as a small defenseman, rightly or wrongly so, which will surely have an affect on his contract. I'm still expecting him to come in on a long term contract around 6.25m.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think Pionk has two more RFA years. That can make a big difference in contract negotiations.

The Jets have been real grinders in negotiations, so it's possible that they'll take this down to the wire with Pionk's arbitration hearing. If Pionk goes to arbitration, he'll be getting a relatively low value 1-year deal, and he'll still be an RFA at the end of it.

Agreed

Chevy has done this multi times in the past, it seems he will not pay guys more then what he feels they are worth, aka see Laine who according to multi Insiders claimed was in the 10 million range what Laine wanted long term (dodged that bullet). Chevy is a grinder when it comes to contracts on average. Pionk isn’t getting 9.25 from the Jets that’s for sure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow that Nurse deal is so bad, I don’t even think he’s a 7 million cap hit D man, never mind 9.25 million. Wow that’s bad

The Oilers botched it by doing two bridge deals for him with the second one being a three year deal that took him right to UFA. They really had no choice but to pay him big given his big year and the amount of leverage he had.

They should have gone long term on his third contract.

All years on Nurse's deal are UFA years. With Pionk two of those years will be RFA years which are cheaper so I expect Pionk will come in a fair amount lower depending on term.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Oilers botched it by doing two bridge deals for him with the second one being a three year deal that took him right to UFA. They really had no choice but to pay him big given his big year and the amount of leverage he had.

They should have gone long term on his third contract.

All years on Nurse's deal are UFA years. With Pionk two of those years will be RFA years which are cheaper so I expect Pionk will come in a fair amount lower depending on term.
Should have pulled a Toronto and given him one single 5 year contract that took him straight to UFA and paid through the nose to do it.:nod:

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Production and Performance Stats aside.

The Average Top Dman plays about 45% of the game.

2nd pair guys probably play 35%, and 3rd string might get 20%.

I know there's a million different factors to consider, but strictly from a $/hour standpoint.

I just can't justify one Dman making double, triple or quadruple the amount that a 2nd pairing dman makes.

The added value in terms of played minutes just isnt there for me.

Glad we got 2 top d for the price of 1.

Last edited:

avtarb

May 6, 2017
No way pionk will make even close to nurse... if nurse was on the jets he'd be our highest paid player by decent margin.. these gms are fools.. they going all in on 3 guys.. Chevy never caves in and knows how to get decent value when negotiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad