Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Are we playing hockey this year? I’m not about to sift through all the covid bullshit to find out. What’s the plan? Are we opening camps? Are we planning on any sort of a restart to the season? Are we skipping everything and starting fresh for next year? Is the draft happening?

appreciate the info.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Are we playing hockey this year? I’m not about to sift through all the covid bullshit to find out. What’s the plan? Are we opening camps? Are we planning on any sort of a restart to the season? Are we skipping everything and starting fresh for next year? Is the draft happening?

appreciate the info.

Rumor has it that the season will resume with 24 teams playing a best of 3 to qualify for the playoffs. When is unknown. They will need some type of training camp I would assume as well before actual games are played.

Last edited:
Reactions: SR

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Rumor has it that the season will resume with 24 teams playing a best of 3 to qualify for the playoffs. When is unknown. They will need some type of training camp I would assume as well before actual games are played.

Interesting.....Are they going to test player for the virus? What if you are positive do you have to sit even though you feel fine? Or can you play but have a different color jersey because you can't check or be checked (social distancing). Would they need a different bench for infected players? Would they have to practice on their own? Will other players refuse to play against somebody with the virus?

Its fun chasing a ghost:)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting.....Are they going to test player for the virus? What if you are positive do you have to sit even though you feel fine? Or can you play but have a different color jersey because you can't check or be checked (social distancing). Would they need a different bench for infected players? Would they have to practice on their own? Will other players refuse to play against somebody with the virus?

Its fun chasing a ghost:)

Half of the Coyotes roster already practices social distancing on the ice.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm confused as to why the Caps are allowed to terminate Leipsic's contract? Always thought the player had to consent to that.

If not, why isn't this option used by teams like Chicago to terminate Seabrook's deal for example?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm confused as to why the Caps are allowed to terminate Leipsic's contract? Always thought the player had to consent to that.

If not, why isn't this option used by teams like Chicago to terminate Seabrook's deal for example?
His contract is up as payment times have ended. They are not taking any money from him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Additionally conduct damaging to the franchise can sometimes be a breach eligible for termination as I recall. What he did absolutely qualifies. Lombardi canceled Mike Richards contract. He was out of control. Kept getting arrested with drugs and drunk. Not sure why Maloney couldn’t get it done with Ribeiro. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to appease Tippett. Who ironically staged a coup anyway. Damn. Our club sucks ass.

Reactions: _Del_

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Additionally conduct damaging to the franchise can sometimes be a breach eligible for termination as I recall. What he did absolutely qualifies. Lombardi canceled Mike Richards contract. He was out of control. Kept getting arrested with drugs and drunk. Not sure why Maloney couldn’t get it done with Ribeiro. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to appease Tippett. Who ironically staged a coup anyway. Damn. Our club sucks ass.

Richards got caught possessing, Ribeiro voluntarily entered a treatment program. Pretty sure that's why the outcomes re: contracts were different.

A player that is medically ineligible to play again (as deemed by multiple 3rd parties) and/or in a treatment program should just disappear off the books. The league should warehouse them.

You can't terminate a contract for seeking help or being legitimately injured. You can terminate it for material breach or through mutual agreement.

rt

May 13, 2004
Richards got caught possessing, Ribeiro voluntarily entered a treatment program. Pretty sure that's why the outcomes re: contracts were different.

A player that is medically ineligible to play again (as deemed by multiple 3rd parties) and/or in a treatment program should just disappear off the books. The league should warehouse them.

You can't terminate a contract for seeking help or being legitimately injured. You can terminate it for material breach or through mutual agreement.
Ribeiro disappearing and failing to show up for team functions and job duties and missing planes prior to treatment might've got them off the hook. Obviously, it would be terrible to fire a regular employee for this kind of thing. But a care less about a guy like Ribeiro who had already made 30+ million. He didn’t need the healthcare to afford his treatment.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Obviously, it would be terrible to fire a regular employee for this kind of thing.

Not sure if that was sarcasm, but regular employees are fired for much less than this all the time.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Not sure if that was sarcasm, but regular employees are fired for much less than this all the time.
Huh? If they’re suffering from out of control substance abuse and it negatively impacts their work, they should not lose their job if they seek help and go through the recovery process. If you sever employment, and they lose income, structure, purpose, and access to health care, you could easily be killing them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Huh? If they’re suffering from out of control substance abuse and it negatively impacts their work, they should not lose their job if they seek help and go through the recovery process. If you sever employment, and they lose income, structure, purpose, and access to health care, you could easily be killing them.
Yes they should. They can put other employees and the business at risk. It's not the employers fault. Let the family deal with it.

Reactions: doaner

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Social media is full of jerks, but public figures that can't understand they live under a different set of rules is a head-scratcher.

Leipsic’s younger brother was in on the group and he was kicked off his college team.

There’s another player connected to the Panthers also involved but Florida hasn’t announced anything other than they’re looking into it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Just saw a Tweet that said the highest paid forward group in the NHL is the Preds???? If correct that is some really bad Cap management.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just saw a Tweet that said the highest paid forward group in the NHL is the Preds???? If correct that is some really bad Cap management.
They have a good D all on good contracts, but I would think they would like to subtract $ up front and put a bit more in their D.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And your favorite team is right there with them, and have won a lot less.:)
I see the smiley but would you rather pay the same money for the Leaf's group of forwards or the Preds? I'm not sure how you can say won less, neither won anything this year. But one scores a lot more goals, that's kinda what you pay your forwards for.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday the league is looking at eight or nine locations where about 12 teams could play in plans to restart the 2019-20 season. The NHL is looking to finalize a two-hub system with 12 clubs at each site, with Las Vegas and Edmonton said to be among cities under consideration.
12 teams per conference, but all games played at only two locations. Works for me...I'm watching on TV no matter what. Vegas has lots of empty hotel space. I wonder if that was a consideration? What about extra ice sheets for practices?

NHL boss Bettman eyes 8-9 sites for 12-team return groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad