Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And what's the advantage? Last change?
Seeding is seeding. Top seed plays the lowest ranked team. That sort of thing. Not really any different then having to play out the final 10 games of a season when you clinched a playoff spot in February.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seeding is seeding. Top seed plays the lowest ranked team. That sort of thing. Not really any different then having to play out the final 10 games of a season when you clinched a playoff spot in February.
Theoretically weaker opponent, extra games in the nicer dressing room, and extra games of last change. Plus playing for pride, and knowing that the next round is an elimination round. Alright. I could see October levels of give shit, at least. :)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Theoretically weaker opponent, extra games in the nicer dressing room, and extra games of last change. Plus playing for pride, and knowing that the next round is an elimination round. Alright. I could see October levels of give shit, at least. :)
I just want to watch hockey. That AZ has a chance is just gravy.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just want to watch hockey. That AZ has a chance is just gravy.
I'm speaking only of the bye-round. I expect it will heat up quick. Quality won't be there, but intensity will be. I love the Memorial Cup and the WJC. If the NHL playoffs are more like that, than so much the better. Structural break-downs, and outcomes based mostly on emotion and momentum swings? Yeah buddy. Yes please!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m talking about a “tournament” among the teams with a bye. What would the stakes be?
You can't just lace up your skates and play like it's the middle of the playoffs after having a couple of months off. It doesn't work that way. You have to get in game shape and you do that by playing games. If these teams take the tournament lightly there could easily be a few upsets in the second round.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Structural break-downs, and outcomes based mostly on emotion and momentum swings?
That's really playing to pur strengths! I think we'd have gotten creamed even if we snuck in to the playoffs. I don't see the new scheme giving us an easier time.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seems I'm the oddity of hockey fans, I don't care what they are playing in summer I won't be watching. I have other things I enjoy in summer and don't plan to change that so players and owners don't lose too much money. Hope you folks enjoy it though.

rt

May 13, 2004
You can't just lace up your skates and play like it's the middle of the playoffs after having a couple of months off. It doesn't work that way. You have to get in game shape and you do that by playing games. If these teams take the tournament lightly there could easily be a few upsets in the second round.
The lack of stakes will neutralize the intensity. It won't be like pre-season. It'll be like October. For the bye teams, I mean. And that's my entire point; there WILL be a few upsets in the 2nd round as a result. If I were a team who's only measure of success vs failure was winning the cup vs not winning the cup, I'd almost rather opt-into the play-in tournament, rather than the bye-tournament.

rt

May 13, 2004
Seems I'm the oddity of hockey fans, I don't care what they are playing in summer I won't be watching. I have other things I enjoy in summer and don't plan to change that so players and owners don't lose too much money. Hope you folks enjoy it though.
To be fair, that seems about par for the course for your regular season viewing as well. :)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
To be fair, that seems about par for the course for your regular season viewing as well. :)
Yeah this was a bad year for me. Normally I watch a few games a week on tv and attend at least half the Coyote's games. I just couldn't get into this season?? Hopefully I get myself settled in next few months and either regain interest or just give up.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

We hate summer here, though. Well, those of us without second homes in Flag, anyway :laugh: ... the rest of us look for anything to do indoors.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I've heard of a 3 week training camp, which probably means they will play some "preseason" type games, the difference being that you won't have any prospects, just the 23 man roster.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I've heard of a 3 week training camp, which probably means they will play some "preseason" type games, the difference being that you won't have any prospects, just the 23 man roster.
There will almost certainly be a higher than 23 man roster.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So if the Coyotes beat Nashville and Hall re-signs in AZ (even short-term), Coyotes lose their 1st Rd pick in 2021 as well.

Do we REALLY want to see the season continue? This is just one of the many season I don't.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So if the Coyotes beat Nashville and Hall re-signs in AZ (even short-term), Coyotes lose their 1st Rd pick in 2021 as well.

Do we REALLY want to see the season continue? This is just one of the many season I don't.
If we win a play-in we don’t give up anything. We have to win a play-off series.

I just bought a Hall shirtzy. I’m all for a Hall extension. We need talented players. Hall is that.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yeah this was a bad year for me. Normally I watch a few games a week on tv and attend at least half the Coyote's games. I just couldn't get into this season?? Hopefully I get myself settled in next few months and either regain interest or just give up.
In fairness to you, watching the Coyotes in 2020 has been painful. So much hope, so little progress, incredible lack of urgency from so many players. The team was building towards something and to see it self-implode is....well....is very Coyote-like.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If we win a play-in we don’t give up anything. We have to win a play-off series.

I just bought a Hall shirtzy. I’m all for a Hall extension. We need talented players. Hall is that.
Well that's good.....we would be a decided underdog vs STL, but playin-winning teams will probably have a much chance of winning against bye-teams vs the normal format.

I want Hall back for sure, but the thought of losing 1st Rd picks in B2B years & a decent d-prospect does not bode well for the Coyotes long-term.

rt

May 13, 2004

Yes. If we beat Nashville, and then beat Vegas, and then sign Hall, I'm happy to lose that pick.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Yes. If we beat Nashville, and then beat Vegas, and then sign Hall, I'm happy to lose that pick.

Just to let you know, the top 4 teams would be playing for seeding, so you necessarily woudn't get Vegas. It could be either Colorado, Dallas, St. Louis or Vegas.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I second that. I said when this trade with down I want to be forced to lose both of our picks. That being said, unfortunately, I don’t think we have to worry about that happening. As much as I think Hall would enjoy a playoff run, I still think he will be checking out Calgary or Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad