Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He's no superstar, but you want to get rid our points leader? I'd have to see the other options before agreeing.
If we ever get a Contending team Schmaltz would be a 2nd or 3rd line winger. The luxury of $6 million for that position probably wouldn't exist. We were shown very plainly how flawed our players are this season.

Reactions: rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Schmaltz and Keller have a lot of skill. They don’t have enough skill to get away with playing the game like they do. They don’t help the team.

The majority of Schmaltz’s points came very early in the season, when he was playing a direct, straight line game. He was noticeable not because he got points. He got points because he was noticeable.

Fans notice players when they play direct games. Especially with speed. That was Schmaltz when he was productive. He could be seen in the “house” fairly regularly early on when he was getting points.

Then he pulled HARD on the reigns. Started taking big, broad swooping lines in the offensive and defensive zones. Mitigated his speed, mitigated his impact on the game. Very passive, very indirect, and very slow.

Big nonchalant circles, is what makes a player “invisible”. When Schmaltz “disappeared”, that’s what happened. He still got his shifts. He was still out there. But you couldn’t see him. It’s because he was gliding all over the entire surface area of the ice where nothing meaningful ever happens. That’s his “office”. He does his “work” where there’s nothing going on and no potential for impact.

Reactions: SniperHF

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If we ever get a Contending team Schmaltz would be a 2nd or 3rd line winger. The luxury of $6 million for that position probably wouldn't exist. We were shown very plainly how flawed our players are this season.

I agree. Perhaps more a flaw of our GM than the player. The Athletic poll results are out today and fans say the GM is doing a swell job. I can't remember my vote, but fairly certain it was not a 5.

upload_2020-4-6_10-35-50.png

Coyotes fan survey: Confidence in ownership, management

rt

May 13, 2004
When Keller pulls into himself and stops being effective, it’s much less insidious than the way Schmaltz does it. When Keller stops doing what he needs to do to impact the game, it’s much more overt. It’s much easier to get down on him.

When Keller is off, he hides. He pulls up, quits on plays, shies away from contact. Rather than skating as many miles as possible like Schmaltz, rather than going “around the world” and skating around the “house”, Keller starts to go where he knows Th e plays are, but then stops. Like there’s a force field around the high-danger areas and he bounces off.

Schmaltz goes into orbit when he’s feeling like he doesn’t want to play. Keller goes into retreat. It’s uglier. It’s more like embarrassing. It’s not any worse. It has the same result. He makes no impact on the game and does not help his team win shifts.

rt

May 13, 2004
Kessel is different from Schmaltz and Keller. He's skating and getting into position. You tend to notice him. He's just deferring so damn much. He will force a horrible play, if it means he doesn't have to be responsible for the scoring chance. He seems absolutely incapable of doing anything himself. Defer, defer, defer. I think it's a mental thing with him. I actually think that on the ice, Kessel works hard then Schmaltz, and is braver than Keller, he's just got a psychological problem. He's become obsessive compulsive about deferring on plays. He's addicted to it. It killed his season. I'd say that Kessel's problem is mental, Keller's is cowardice, and Schmaltz's is laziness. The result is the same, though. All three suck and our team is really bad because of it.

We all like Hall and Garland and Crouse. Why? They play direct hockey. They skate in straight lines, right through high-danger areas. That's it. I say we need to trade as many players as we can who don't play like that, and acquire as many as we can in the process. Even if we lose the deals on age and skill and smarts.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This can't be true because all Dylan needed was a GM and coach who treated him right to thrive and moreover he has a home now in Chicago and really that was the key to his breakout he's gonna be a star my god we lost that trade so badly Chayka should concentrate on his Wendy's franchises because people aren't hamburgers fire everyone trade everyone
Or Strome needs a raise along with Cat, they want to spend money on the back-end, the Hawks are crunching numbers, Kirby Dach is on an ELC and Toews and his contract isn't going anywhere... What to do..?

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would like to put much blame on the terrible coaching. Most times I put the blame on the players, but in this case I think the coaching has a lot to do with our production.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kessel is different from Schmaltz and Keller. He's skating and getting into position. You tend to notice him. He's just deferring so damn much. He will force a horrible play, if it means he doesn't have to be responsible for the scoring chance. He seems absolutely incapable of doing anything himself. Defer, defer, defer. I think it's a mental thing with him. I actually think that on the ice, Kessel works hard then Schmaltz, and is braver than Keller, he's just got a psychological problem. He's become obsessive compulsive about deferring on plays. He's addicted to it. It killed his season. I'd say that Kessel's problem is mental, Keller's is cowardice, and Schmaltz's is laziness. The result is the same, though. All three suck and our team is really bad because of it.

We all like Hall and Garland and Crouse. Why? They play direct hockey. They skate in straight lines, right through high-danger areas. That's it. I say we need to trade as many players as we can who don't play like that, and acquire as many as we can in the process. Even if we lose the deals on age and skill and smarts.
I thought Kessel was invisible for just as many games as Keller and Schmaltz. Don't know why you are pointing fingers at Keller, who is still a pup, and Schmaltz who is still very young, and not pointing fingers at our vets. They are the ones who let this team down. Kessel was suppose to be our first line winger, he was not even close, and Stepan was our 1C but by the end of the year he was playing 3C. OEL played like he was hurt or maybe hurt feelings who knows. Our mix is for sure not ideal, and that is on Chayka, but I think a capable NHL coach could have gotten much more from our players.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I thought Kessel was invisible for just as many games as Keller and Schmaltz. Don't know why you are pointing fingers at Keller, who is still a pup, and Schmaltz who is still very young, and not pointing fingers at our vets. They are the ones who let this team down. Kessel was suppose to be our first line winger, he was not even close, and Stepan was our 1C but by the end of the year he was playing 3C. OEL played like he was hurt or maybe hurt feelings who knows. Our mix is for sure not ideal, and that is on Chayka, but I think a capable NHL coach could have gotten much more from our players.
Agreed, good coach would have gotten more out of this group. To me, OEL/Kessel are by far the biggest disappointments, they should have lead the team, and instead we got a 4D and a 3W versus the 1D/1W we expected.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh I'm pointing fingers at them too! Stepan works pretty hard, he's just super slow, and has COMPLETELY lost his shot. Goalies and defenders have ZERO fear of his scoring a goal on his own, and can ALWAYS play the pass. But his effort level is pretty good on the ice. It's physical limitations with him. Goligoski is a pretty decent worker, too. Blocks shots and stuff. He just makes terrible decisions and is always physically overmatched. He's on the weaker, dumber side of things for a top four D. And he's not very effective as a result. I put Stepan and Goligoski in the same category. If I could tear up their contracts and make them free agents, I'd do it in a second. I dislike them both.

OEL is a whole other story.

I was comparing Keller, Schmaltz, and Kessel because they're all offensive wingers that we were counting on to carry the offensive production. They all failed miserably. They're all signed for at least two more years.

Reactions: MIG

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oh, damn. How is he allowed anywhere near another franchise? I guess he's uniquely qualified by experience to run a suffering business on a minimal budget?

Reactions: 0point1

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Sens have somehow managed to become a caricature of a caricature of themselves. That's impressive!

Reactions: 0point1

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Keep laughing...or cry when they end up having a better team than the yotes shortly. They already have more grit.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Possible playoff format when/if the season resumes. I would be ok with this.
TSN's Darren Dreger conducted a "flash poll" with 24 general managers, and 20 said that they would be in favor of a best-of-five series from the opening round until the conference final. Those general managers still prefer a seven-game series to determine the Stanley Cup Champion.

NHL considering plan that would restart league in July, report says

Reactions: RemoAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad