Around the NHL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Every time I get mad at how stupid the All Star event is and how badly the NHL screws it up, I try to remember that it’s for kids, and I don’t care about it and would probably not watch it no matter what changes they made. I loved it as a kid. That’s the point.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Every time I get mad at how stupid the All Star event is and how badly the NHL screws it up, I try to remember that it’s for kids, and I don’t care about it and would probably not watch it no matter what changes they made. I loved it as a kid. That’s the point.
It's actually kinda for the NHL to schmooze their corporate partners. The viewing is mostly for kids.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's actually kinda for the NHL to schmooze their corporate partners. The viewing is mostly for kids.
Fair. But my point is unchanged. Haha. I listen to hockey podcasts and all these guys my age or older are always complaining about how dumb it is. I agree. But we aren’t the audience. Kids are the audience.

An NHL All-Star game combined with the Mighty Ducks movie is the reason I’m a hockey fan. I saw the movie, I saw an all star game, I dreamed that Phoenix would get a team called the Coyotes and then I read in the newspaper it was happening, and in my 4th grade heart I was sold. Haha. I watched the Dan Focht, Danny Briere draft and I was so pumped we had two 18 year old future Hall of Famers. I was sooooo pumped.

Reactions: sundance74

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fair. But my point is unchanged. Haha. I listen to hockey podcasts and all these guys my age or older are always complaining about how dumb it is. I agree. But we aren’t the audience. Kids are the audience.

An NHL All-Star game combined with the Mighty Ducks movie is the reason I’m a hockey fan. I saw the movie, I saw an all star game, I dreamed that Phoenix would get a team called the Coyotes and then I read in the newspaper it was happening, and in my 4th grade heart I was sold. Haha. I watched the Dan Focht, Danny Briere draft and I was so pumped we had two 18 year old future Hall of Famers. I was sooooo pumped.
Personally I want my guys sitting on a beach for the weekend rather than trying to play a gimmicky game half drunk.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I wonder whether the league would consider making the all-star weekend sometime after the season is done (like what football does with the pro bowl). Like make it July 4th weekend or something so people have something to talk about during those long summer days

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder whether the league would consider making the all-star weekend sometime after the season is done (like what football does with the pro bowl). Like make it July 4th weekend or something so people have something to talk about during those long summer days
They should start by actually inviting their best players.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They should just lengthen the season on either side without reducing the number of games. Then guys might look forward to the ASG. As of right now, they'd rather rest.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Actually.

I think they should have it right before the NHL awards (like maybe the day before). Have a big joint event to commemorate the season and end it with the awards show. Players would come because they'd all be there anyway, the game would be more fun / relaxed bc season is over, viewers might actually watch / care because no hockey for the rest of summer.

Only major downside I can think of is you'd have to move the venue of the NHL awards every year -- but that's an even better way to showcase league talent to different cities.

What am I missing? To rt's point kids would also be off during the summer.

Edit: included rt's point

Reactions: Biz20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad