Around the NHL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So the Blues visited the White House today. Thet are getting carved by some in Canada with Damien Cox leading the charge. He is undoubtedly an idiot but how do you American Folks feel about it? Personally I think it needs to be looked at as a visit to a distinguished institution rather than a political visit to current Pres. Should Pro Leagues end this practise or watch annually as players choose by if they like the President?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
So the Blues visited the White House today. Thet are getting carved by some in Canada with Damien Cox leading the charge. He is undoubtedly an idiot but how do you American Folks feel about it? Personally I think it needs to be looked at as a visit to a distinguished institution rather than a political visit to current Pres. Should Pro Leagues end this practise or watch annually as players choose by if they like the President?
It is supposed to simply be a visit to the Office of the President, first and foremost, and the individual in office for these events is really just a custodian for a tradition. In that sense, I'd rather not see a player decline for a political reason, as it's making what shouldn't be a political event into one. On the other hand, the current president has made it clear that he'll turn anything he can into a political battle, and certainly has politicized the event, so it's understandable that some may not want to partake until it returns to its original standing. Unfortunately, it's really a lose-lose situation until then.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

If you want to blame anyone, blame the WH staff and media for making a spectacle of it. Both groups are guilty or pumping the event up to score optics points.

As for teams or players choosing not to attend I remember when Tim Thomas declined to go the year the Bruins won the cup. There was a brief dust up about it but it went away quickly. These days it’s a major news story that gets overblown.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Whether you're Tim Thomas or the lady's soccer team, I think you're selfishly taking a fun tradition (and a cool experience) and deliberately making it all about you because you can't get over yourself. I'd basically go to the White House if I had won Cup, no matter who was there. It is completely apolitical to me, and should be to anyone who isn't more invested in playing the team sport of politics. The world has plenty of avenues for people to virtue signal already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Whether you're Tom Thomas or the lady's soccer team, I think you're selfishly taking a fun tradition (and a cool experience) and deliberately making it all about you because you can't get over yourself. I'd basically go to the White House if I had won Cup, no matter who was there. It is completely apolitical to me, and should be to anyone who isn't more invested in playing the team sport of politics. The world has plenty of avenues for people to virtue signal already.

"shut up and dribble/play soccer/hockey/etc...' you're like five seconds away from saying facts don't care about your feelings.

I commend anyone that actually uses the platform afforded to them for good aka the exact opposite of LeBron right now.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It..... a...... choice.

That’s one if the foundations the country was built on.

If I were in the same position to go I wouldn’t give a damn what anyone else thought.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
LeBron's an idiot asshat, too. Tim Thomas was an asshat when he wouldn't go see Obama. I'm guess I'm just not impressed with your brave stand for "the (subjective) good" via making an event all about you.
It's like if a Manitoba-born player refused to accept the Cup from Bettman because he cannot get over himself.

But, by all means, get back on the twitter twatter and tell us how "good" you are because you don't want to visit the White House.

It's funny you call out LeBron, when he's doing the exact same thing. He's all about telling everyone how virtuous he is. He's just even more deluded than Thomas and Damian Cox.

God save us from the zealots of all flavours.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's like if a Manitoba-born player refused to accept the Cup from Bettman because he cannot get over himself.

How is accepting the cup anything like refusing to go an optional PR stunt?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It..... a...... choice.

That’s one if the foundations the country was built on.

If I were in the same position to go I wouldn’t give a damn what anyone else thought.
Well, sure. No body should be made to go. It just outs you as a small person if you disrupt a long-standing tradition for no real reason.
People are always free to follow their own counsel. That's what liberty means. And people like Cox will rant if you go, and I'll laugh at you of you don't. That's also part of the liberty thing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How is accepting the cup anything like refusing to go an optional PR stunt?
Is a Captain taking the Cup from Bettman not optional? I mean, I assume you're still a Cup-winner and grt your name on the Cup as a Stanley Cup champion. Taking the Cup is just a photop tradition, right?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is a Captain taking the Cup from Bettman not optional? I mean, I assume you're still a Cup-winner and grt your name on the Cup as a Stanley Cup champion. Taking the Cup is just a photop tradition, right?

One is endemic to the game and completely natural, the other is 100% optional during the offseason. One involves accepting the highest achievement in your team sport from the commissioner, the other involves eating room temp fast food while you wait to be a political prop. Your comparison doesn't make sense on any level.

You are threatened by speech that doesn't align with your views, simple as that.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not at all. Damian Cox, LeBron, and Tim Thomas all have freedom of speech. Noone has to go to anything.
You don't have to go to your sister's New Year's Eve party if you don't like your Xmas presents. It just makes you petty.
You don't have to go to your friend's wedding if you hate his wife-to-be. it just shows you think your emotion is more important than the wedding.
It just shows you aren't emotionally mature when you make your public "brave moral stand" over an event you already admit is inconsequential. So brave.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not at all. Damian Cox, LeBron, and Tim Thomas all have freedom of speech. Noone has to go to anything.
You don't have to go to your sister's New Year's Eve party if you don't like your Xmas presents. It just makes you petty.
You don't have to go to your friend's wedding if you hate his wife-to-be. it just shows you think your emotion is more important than the wedding.

Again, you are using false equivalencies where someone is being really petty (Xmas presents? really dude) when we're actually talking about high profile athletes being used as political props.

It just shows you aren't emotionally mature when you make your public "brave moral stand" over an event you already admit is inconsequential. So brave.

Taking a stand when you are an athlete and risking very real blowback in your professional life is absolutely brave. A lot braver than whining about speech from the peanut gallery.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You think a single person is going to change their vote based on Tim Thomas's appearance (or not) with Obama for a photo op? It's not a political stunt. "Tim Thomas is in this photo shaking hands with Obama. I think I'll vote for that guy." Give me a break. It's just a fun tradition. Or would be if the world wasn't suddenly a "woke" contest between idiots on both the political extremes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well, sure. No body should be made to go. It just outs you as a small person if you disrupt a long-standing tradition for no real reason.
People are always free to follow their own counsel. That's what liberty means. And people like Cox will rant if you go, and I'll laugh at you of you don't. That's also part of the liberty thing.

Stop acting like it’s some sort of obligation.

It isn’t.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You think a single person is going to change their vote based on Tim Thomas's appearance (or not) with Obama for a photo op? It's not a political stunt. "Tim Thomas is in this photo shaking hands with Obama. I think I'll vote for that guy." Give me a break. It's just a fun tradition.

It's meant to normalize the president and show that he's just a regular guy that likes sports too. That's the purpose of the tradition. If it's ultimately that inconsequential and it's just a 'fun tradition' then what's the big deal if someone opts out? The women's soccer team in particular had completely valid reasons to skip out based on the dumb shit that was hurled their way by the guy that wanted to use them as a prop.

It's really transparent when you acknowledge that yes, people have a right to free speech but they should actually behave in a way that fits my norms.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's really transparent when you acknowledge that yes, people have a right to free speech but they should actually behave in a way that fits my norms.

No. I said, people who make a long-standing tradition about themselves instead of a meaningless photo-op are vain. It doesn't have anything to do with who is in office. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they are allowed to not go. They are obviously allowed to go or not as they choose.the

You think this Presidency is going to be "normalized" by a photo op? You think a single mind or single vote was changed by the " bold" decision of soccer players to not attend a photo op? Or would have changed by their attendance? I cannot take your outrage seriously. Sorry. You sound just as silly as Tim Thomas.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No. I said, people who make a long-standing tradition about themselves instead of a meaningless photo-op are vain.
They are obviously allowed to go or not as they choose.

You acknowledge that the event is indeed a silly tradition and small potatoes, and that yes, Americans have the right to peaceful protest and to opt out of said event. But they can't, in actuality, without losing face with the sort of people who whine about 'wokeness' and 'outrage culture'.

Sounds an awful lot like being threatened by said speech and outraged that it happened. For most people, it was Tuesday. But for you, it was a devastating attack on a long-standing cherished tradition by a bunch of vain, petty, virtue signaling zealots. I pray that we, as a nation, can recover from this. Godspeed.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Lol

I'm not the one talking about a team event and photoop beimg a "political stunt" and "normalizing" a Presidency to virtue-signal.

You don't have to go if you prefer to make a brave stand (dare I say "political stunt") instead. People are fully free to make that choice. People are free to agree or disagree. Like Legend said, it's their own personal decision. And just like there will be people who are going to complain no matter what you choose. That's not limiting your speech. Welcome to Liberty 101. Allowing Liberty does not equal a mandate of endorsement in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad