Around the NHL 2023-2024

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Perron is not the same player he was 2 years ago, so it's a bit of a moot point.
Sure but still a better player than the guys I listed.

It’s just kinda comical how the whole thing played out. The excuse of “we don’t have anyone to play with him” in regards to your captain and one of your most important players, isn’t really a good look for the GM. That’s kinda his job to find those players instead of giving up and changing the identity to whatever it is that we have now.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Sure but still a better player than the guys I listed.

It’s just kinda comical how the whole thing played out. The excuse of “we don’t have anyone to play with him” in regards to your captain and one of your most important players, isn’t really a good look for the GM. That’s kinda his job to find those players instead of giving up and changing the identity to whatever it is that we have now.
Better than the 3 guys, yes, but the question is whether he'd be good enough that ROR could put up a similar season for us as he is in Nashville. I'm not so sure. To your point, if you see yourself in the playoff picture and value that, keeping him is the right move, I just don't think the roster improves to the point with both of them that it matters. I prefer the pick we got for ROR.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Better than the 3 guys, yes, but the question is whether he'd be good enough that ROR could put up a similar season for us as he is in Nashville. I'm not so sure. To your point, if you see yourself in the playoff picture and value that, keeping him is the right move, I just don't think the roster improves to the point with both of them that it matters. I prefer the pick we got for ROR.
He's also getting premium offensive usage for pretty much the first time in his career. His 65.5% Ozone starts is far and away his highest percentage(next closest was 52.12% in 2011-2012). So he's not having to do as much defensive lifting as he's had to for more or less his whole career.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Damn the metro is awful. The Flyers are in 3rd with 82 points.
Yeah we’d be in a playoff spot in the East.

I’m really hoping that any of Philly, Washington and the Islanders grab those two wild card spots.

I’m rooting against Detroit. It’s funny, my hatred for them died off since they moved to the East and I just never really cared about them anymore. But their fans can still get too smug so I find myself rooting against them again.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm extremely sure of the answer. The answer is overwhelmingly no.

ROR has been stapled to Filip Forsberg all season, who is a better player right now than any winger on our roster, full stop. He's spent almost half his 5 on 5 minutes and all of his PP minutes with Roman Josi, who is a better player than any D man we have on the roster, full stop. He's also starting 60% of his shifts in the O zone, which may have been doable here, but was absolutely and under no circumstances going to happen under Berube.

Perron absolutely isn't remotely good enough to support ROR the way his current situation is. He's not close to as good as Nyquist currently is and even if he were, we would still be missing the Forsberg/Josi component of his current mix.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I'm extremely sure of the answer. The answer is overwhelmingly no.

ROR has been stapled to Filip Forsberg all season, who is a better player right now than any winger on our roster, full stop. He's spent almost half his 5 on 5 minutes and all of his PP minutes with Roman Josi, who is a better player than any D man we have on the roster, full stop. He's also starting 60% of his shifts in the O zone, which may have been doable here, but was absolutely and under no circumstances going to happen under Berube.

Perron absolutely isn't remotely good enough to support ROR the way his current situation is. He's not close to as good as Nyquist currently is and even if he were, we would still be missing the Forsberg/Josi component of his current mix.

Are you actually trying to say that Forsberg and Nyquist are carrying ROR because I don't think it's a coincidence that they are both having career years while playing with ROR, pretty sure ROR is the one carrying them. So saying Forseberg is better than Buch or Nyquist is better than Perron is funny to me, the best you could say is that they fit ROR's style better than anyone we currently have. I think if we still had ROR and Perron that Neighbors would be a great winger to go with them and that entire line would work great together.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Are you actually trying to say that Forsberg and Nyquist are carrying ROR because I don't think it's a coincidence that they are both having career years while playing with ROR, pretty sure ROR is the one carrying them. So saying Forseberg is better than Buch or Nyquist is better than Perron is funny to me, the best you could say is that they fit ROR's style better than anyone we currently have. I think if we still had ROR and Perron that Neighbors would be a great winger to go with them and that entire line would work great together.

Forsberg had himself a better PPG rate in 2021-22 with a combo of Ryan Johansen and Matt Duchene as his centers for 42-42-84p in 69 games played.

His 2023-24 41-42-83p in 73 games is going to net him career highs, but it's unless he puts up big point totals in the last 9 games of the season, he's not going to improve on the pace he scored at 2 years ago with 2 players Nashville bought out/paid to ship out of town this past summer.

At best, Forsberg sets his new highs with an extra 5 games played by scoring 2 points in game 74 - comparing this season's point totals where he hasn't missed any time to a season he missed 13 games doesn't really make for a good apples to apples comparison the way you've stated it.

I think it's unfair to credit ROR with Forsberg's production this year, as he produced at a higher scoring rate with inferior centers previously 2 years ago. I cannot deny that ROR and Forsberg seem to be meshing, but I think Forsberg is revitalizing ROR, as opposed to ROR elevating Forsberg.

ROR played well in Toronto after his trade last year, but he didn't elevate his linemates there the way you imply he's doing in Nashville. Had he done so, I'd think Toronto would have found a way to sign him to some kind of deal to stay there.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Forsberg had himself a better PPG rate in 2021-22 with a combo of Ryan Johansen and Matt Duchene as his centers for 42-42-84p in 69 games played.

His 2023-24 41-42-83p in 73 games is going to net him career highs, but it's unless he puts up big point totals in the last 9 games of the season, he's not going to improve on the pace he scored at 2 years ago with 2 players Nashville bought out/paid to ship out of town this past summer.

At best, Forsberg sets his new highs with an extra 5 games played by scoring 2 points in game 74 - comparing this season's point totals where he hasn't missed any time to a season he missed 13 games doesn't really make for a good apples to apples comparison the way you've stated it.

I think it's unfair to credit ROR with Forsberg's production this year, as he produced at a higher scoring rate with inferior centers previously 2 years ago. I cannot deny that ROR and Forsberg seem to be meshing, but I think Forsberg is revitalizing ROR, as opposed to ROR elevating Forsberg.

ROR played well in Toronto after his trade last year, but he didn't elevate his linemates there the way you imply he's doing in Nashville. Had he done so, I'd think Toronto would have found a way to sign him to some kind of deal to stay there.

I don't think a players "pace" matters when talking about career years unless that "pace" goes for an entire season. If those 69 games had extended to 80 games but the final 11 he had zero points then that "pace" was meaningless.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

O’Reilly spent his most time in Toronto playing with a combination of Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Aka, world-class superstars. How exactly are you expecting him to elevate their games? That’s kind of an unrealistic expectation because they’re already at their ceilings.

He went nearly PPG in Toronto so he was very good.

And quite frankly this whole discussion is irrelevant…

Yes, ROR is going to finish around 70 points in Nashville. Would he have hit that number in STL? Probably not, but who cares? Thomas is our 1C now so we wouldn’t need him to. All we would need from ROR is 50 points on the 2nd line, which is more than enough for what he’s making. And he definitely would have done that for us.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't think a players "pace" matters when talking about career years unless that "pace" goes for an entire season. If those 69 games had extended to 80 games but the final 11 he had zero points then that "pace" was meaningless.

I can concede that pace isn't immensely relevant when it comes to discussing career years - but I have a very difficult time crediting ROR with Forsberg playing out what is likely going to be his career high for points, when he had similar production with inferior centers in less games played 2 seasons ago.

The center isn't making a huge difference in this case, because Nashville's offense is driven by their defence core and has been for some time.

That was the large portion of the response - emphasising that ROR has done very little to improve on Forsberg's production. I don't think it's as simple as looking at the wingers, as you're not acknowledging Nashville's greatest strength has been their defence for years.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle in regards to ROR. They likely benefit greatly playing with each other and make each other better. Forsberg's career high in points prior to 2 years ago was 64, and goals was 33. It's no secret that scoring as gone up after 2020, but the scenario between O'Reilly and Forsberg is mutually beneficial. We all know O'Reilly is still a good player, and that's evident by his points and goals scored; defense is always going to be solid with him. Forsberg on the other hand, has been able to be an effectively productive player on a maybe slightly neutered offensive structure for the majority of his time in Nashville. I think that speaks to his rise in goals and points these last couple of years.

Not that this is relevant, but 2018-2019 O'Reilly might have been one of the best players I've ever seen in my life. With a team struggling as bad as we were, he was consistently dragging this team into every game and his defense was immaculate. I really don't know if I will ever get to witness something like that ever again, but it's those types of performances that made me fall in love with the sport.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
minnesota blows a lead late then pulls their goalie in OT and loses cause of it. they get 0 pts now LOL

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Pastrnak vs. Chuckie Sideburns in the shootout.

If that's a Blues goalie, the anti-Binnington crowd is having a conniption so violently it's picked up on Mars.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
LAK loses. We stay at just 5 points back. We still have up to 16 points we can earn. Highly unlikely we make the playoffs, but, the LAK are giving us the opportunity.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
LAK loses. We stay at just 5 points back. We still have up to 16 points we can earn. Highly unlikely we make the playoffs, but, the LAK are giving us the opportunity.
no-bugs-bunny.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
minnesota blows a lead late then pulls their goalie in OT and loses cause of it. they get 0 pts now LOL
Yeah, have to admit I had no idea about that rule. I also don't really get Minnesota's incentive to risk the point. Did they really have a better chance to win with the 4 on 3 than if they just played it out? Seems iffy.

Thank god they took John Hynes off the coaching market before we got into it.
I don't understand why he gets hired. He's intense...but he doesn't seem very smart.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Yeah, have to admit I had no idea about that rule. I also don't really get Minnesota's incentive to risk the point. Did they really have a better chance to win with the 4 on 3 than if they just played it out? Seems iffy.

I don't understand why he gets hired. He's intense...but he doesn't seem very smart.

It worked out for them a week or two ago

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

It worked out for them a week or two ago
Despite it working once, I wouldn't have tried it again, especially since they assume all the risk by doing it. It would be more worth trying if the rule was you would take the loser point away from the team beat, or if you lose with the goalie you lose the OT point, at least in that scenario there is some more high risk, high reward stakes. But even getting an OT win with the goalie out, the team you beat still gets a point

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Despite it working once, I wouldn't have tried it again, especially since they assume all the risk by doing it. It would be more worth trying if the rule was you would take the loser point away from the team beat, or if you lose with the goalie you lose the OT point, at least in that scenario there is some more high risk, high reward stakes. But even getting an OT win with the goalie out, the team you beat still gets a point
The announcer said that “analytics” told Hyne it was the right call. But I call BS. I think a team gets the goal 4 on 3 less than half the time. And it’s not like they lose the chance to win a shootout. It makes sense to me if you think your team has a huge disadvantage in the shootout. Alternately, it makes sense if you have punted on the season and are just trying to instill an aggressive mindset. If it was someone I respected more than Hyne I might believe that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad