Around the NHL 2023-2024

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If you're in OT and guaranteed a point, and presuming pulling the goalie results in a decision and doesn't cause the game to go to a shootout, then it's an optimal decision to pull the goalie and go for 2 if that decision will be successful more than half the time. [Which is probably not the case.] In reality, once you pull the goalie in OT there's 4 possible outcomes - win in OT (2 points), lose in OT (0 points), win in the shootout (2 points), lose in the shootout (1 point) - and the question becomes what probabilities should we assign to those scenarios? which is going to vary depending on when you decide to pull the goalie in OT. And to a prior point I made: your strategy with the extra attacker impacts those probabilities, both positively and negatively

To the last sentence: while you're right that maximizing points doesn't maximize playoff chances, it's really "maximize points to get to where you've maximized playoff chances" because at a certain threshold, more points doesn't increase your playoff chances. You improve your seed with the additional points, but now we're into a different discussion that doesn't apply when you're just trying to make the playoffs.
This is only true if you are trying to maximize standings points. There are many possible scenarios where a decision made to maximize the chances of making the playoffs would not be the same as a decision to maximize standings points.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina
Dec 15, 2002
This is only true if you are trying to maximize standings points. There are many possible scenarios where a decision made to maximize the chances of making the playoffs would not be the same as a decision to maximize standings points.
OK, I'll bite. Explain how one can maximize playoff chances while not attempting to maximize points, because that's the situation we're all talking about wrt Minnesota.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
OK, I'll bite. Explain how one can maximize playoff chances while not attempting to maximize points, because that's the situation we're all talking about wrt Minnesota.

That seems simple. They are not talking about maximizing the point total but the expected value of an action on the point total.

If you are trying to maximize the EV of your point total, then that includes taking less risky actions that would for example give you an EV of 94 points. But if the likely playoff cut-off os 97 points, then riskier moves that give you a chance at a higher point total would give you a better playoff shot. Because 94 points is the same as 0 points when it comes to making the playoffs if the minimum playoff team needs 97 points.

At that point you need to take more risks, decreasing the EV of your point total but increasing the chance if hitting a higher point total. You are forced to be more risk-seeking in your behaviors.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

No! Bring him back to STL so he can retire as a Blues player!

The guy is 100% compete and never quit. Just listen to the interview. We need this in our locker room to elevate our younger players.

Come on DA...1 year deal for DP57

Reactions: STLegend

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Any scenario where you are more likely to get 0 points than 2, but you HAVE to get to
2 in order to make the playoffs. If you’re trying to maximize points, the odds say you should take the 1 point instead of risking 0 points. But taking that single point to maximize standings points could actually hurt your playoff chances.

Dec 15, 2002
Any scenario where you are more likely to get 0 points than 2, but you HAVE to get to
2 in order to make the playoffs. If you’re trying to maximize points, the odds say you should take the 1 point instead of risking 0 points. But taking that single point to maximize standings points could actually hurt your playoff chances.
You're really agreeing with me, but I think you're trying to split hairs on this. Not to mention, taking 1 doesn't maximize standings points when you have the option to get 2, which absolutely maximizes standings points.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The Lindholm trade has not worked out so far for the Canucks. In 22 games he's 5goals/4assists and -5.

Reactions: Blueston

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Chaos at MSG. Love it.

Line brawl at puck drop. 5 fights, two seconds in.
1712186694899.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is the 3rd time the Rangers have been involved in something like that since 2012, from what I can remember. This was the 2nd time against the Devils, and the other was a few years ago against Washington after the Tom Wilson incident.

Crazy stuff.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Going into this season, I adopted the Senators as my Eastern Conference team to root for since I didn't imagine this Blues roster would amount to much. Turns out the Sens were even more disappointing than the Blues.

I've soured on the prospects of adding Brady Tkachuk to this team in the future. I feel like Matthew plays the game like Keith. Hard-nosed, but highly skilled, but responsible for the most part. Brady? While it's obvious he has talent, he's an absolute bonehead, and he's the kind of player who I wouldn't trust not to do something stupid at a key moment in an important game. In watching the majority of, I'd say, 15 or so Sens games this year, he's looked like a over-emotional crybaby in about half of them. Last night he threw another fit.

At this point, I'd rather have Neighbors doing the job we would want Brady to do for us. Still wish we had Matthew. That one still stings.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Going into this season, I adopted the Senators as my Eastern Conference team to root for since I didn't imagine this Blues roster would amount to much. Turns out the Sens were even more disappointing than the Blues.

I've soured on the prospects of adding Brady Tkachuk to this team in the future. I feel like Matthew plays the game like Keith. Hard-nosed, but highly skilled, but responsible for the most part. Brady? While it's obvious he has talent, he's an absolute bonehead, and he's the kind of player who I wouldn't trust not to do something stupid at a key moment in an important game. In watching the majority of, I'd say, 15 or so Sens games this year, he's looked like a over-emotional crybaby in about half of them. Last night he threw another fit.

At this point, I'd rather have Neighbors doing the job we would want Brady to do for us. Still wish we had Matthew. That one still stings.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a Neighbors on every line.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I agree, Matthew is valuable, Brady is a good player but not worth acquiring for the cost it would take. If he signed as UFA maybe he would be part of a great team. I don't really see a path to him ending in St Louis via trade.

Dec 15, 2002
Brady has to change his game. Matthew changed his game, he's far better than he was in Calgary. Brady is still doing the "penalty" part of "power forward" too often, and it distracts from his talent on the ice. Guy could be a consistent 40-goal, 100-point player, he just gets interested in ancillary stuff way too often.

He'd still be an upgrade for this team, but he'd also still leave people screaming about dumb stuff he does and wanting him to be better.

Reactions: BlueOil

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Brady has to change his game. Matthew changed his game, he's far better than he was in Calgary. Brady is still doing the "penalty" part of "power forward" too often, and it distracts from his talent on the ice. Guy could be a consistent 40-goal, 100-point player, he just gets interested in ancillary stuff way too often.

He'd still be an upgrade for this team, but he'd also still leave people screaming about dumb stuff he does and wanting him to be better.

I think Neighbors is going to be the power forward we need even though Brady would be great he takes way to many dumb penalties.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I’m glad people are souring on Brady. I never understood the allure other than wanting a power forward. I never see him elevate his play when it counts and I find him relying on his linemates way too often to be worth the price Ottawa would want.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Was it over anything, like some kind of trigger this season - or just 90s Rangers/Devils.....
rempe had made cheap shot in previous game against devils and refused a fight (he had apparently been told not to fight that game), so tempers were inflamed.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I watched part of the game between Edmonton and Colorado. I was surprised to see Jonathon Druin playing for Colorado. Looked like the good player I thought he would be years ago.

I remember he had issues when he was with Montreal and for several years he just played half a season.

As I remember it, we were hot to acquire him because of his speed. But Shattenkirk wouldn't sign with Tampa Bay, so there was no deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad