OT: Around the NHL 2021-22: So it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, I got kicked off of my hockey team in high school and banned from the league because the coach was mocking a kid with Cerebral Palsy and I had to be held back by people because I wanted to throttle the shit out of him. But I was a very angry, violent young man so. /shrug

I don't think it'd even be a question as to whether I'd do everything in my power if a teammate/friend was raped right under everyone's nose. This isn't me being like "I'm very bad ass" or pretending to be some shining pillar of society, I just think it's genuinely unfathomable to turn a blind eye to a rape happening that close to you. Like Torts says, this should absolutely rock a person to their core. You shouldn't even be able to think about hockey until you've done everything you can to make sure your teammate, friend, coworker, whatever is alright and things are being taken care of.

Guys like Quenneville and Cheveldayoff and Bowman are scum for actively covering it up. Guys like Kane, Toews and Keith are scum for knowing and not doing everything in their power to put a stop to the taunting, and making sure the accused was thoroughly investigated and brought to justice.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, I got kicked off of my hockey team in high school and banned from the league because the coach was mocking a kid with Cerebral Palsy and I had to be held back by people because I wanted to throttle the shit out of him. But I was a very angry, violent young man so. /shrug

I don't think it'd even be a question as to whether I'd do everything in my power if a teammate/friend was raped right under everyone's nose. This isn't me being like "I'm very bad ass" or pretending to be some shining pillar of society, I just think it's genuinely unfathomable to turn a blind eye to a rape happening that close to you. Like Torts says, this should absolutely rock a person to their core. You shouldn't even be able to think about hockey until you've done everything you can to make sure your teammate, friend, coworker, whatever is alright and things are being taken care of.

Guys like Quenneville and Cheveldayoff and Bowman are scum for actively covering it up. Guys like Kane, Toews and Keith are scum for knowing and not doing everything in their power to put a stop to the taunting, and making sure the accused was thoroughly investigated and brought to justice.

It’s very easy to act that way whenever everything is out in the open and investigated.

Now tell me what you would do if your good friend you’ve know for a year or two tells you he was in a consensual relationship with someone you’ve known for a few weeks while that person says they’ve been assaulted by them.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pretty much this. And Toews sticking up for Bowman and MacIsaac, saying they are not directly complicit and that they are good men, is infuriating. Like dude stfu and just say you're sorry
If it's infuriating and depressing as a fan, imagine how f***ing Beach feels. To this day, over a decade of his life ruined and being dragged through the mud as "the worst bust in Hawks' history" etc, and these pieces of shit still can't do the bare minimum.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We all agree he should have been investigated and it should’ve been dealt with. But the fact of the matter is sexual assault is not an organizational issue, it is a crime.

The decisions made to suppress this information were incorrect and those responsible should be held accountable.

An environment where sexual assault is actively covered up by the leaders involved is absolutely an organizational issue that you spent the last several pages minimizing. But unfortunately it didn’t end there. Not only did they not investigate and alert the proper authorities, they actively promoted his future job prospects by writing him a positive review, enabling him to work with the children that he would later abuse.

Saying the victim should have reported it to authorities and that he didn’t is why we are here is victim blaming and gross.

While this was all going on, team leaders fostered a culture where the victim of sexual assault was mocked repeatedly.

Then you baselessly assumed that Toews’ statement was advised by a lawyer. I’m not sure what kind of lawyer that is but he should probably get a new one.

There is no way to absolve team leaders of blame.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
An environment where sexual assault is actively covered up by the leaders involved is absolutely an organizational issue that you spent the last several pages minimizing. But unfortunately it didn’t there. Not only did they not investigate and alert the proper authorities, they actively promoted his future job prospects by writing him a positive review, enabling him to work with the children that he would later abuse.

Saying the victim should have reported it to authorities and that he didn’t is why we are here is victim blaming and gross.

While this was all going on, team leaders fostered a culture where the victim of sexual assault was mocked repeatedly.

Then you baselessly assumed that Toews’ statement was advised by a lawyer. I’m not sure what kind of lawyer that is but he should probably get a new one.

There is no way to absolve team leaders of blame.

I’m not sure how anything I’ve said is minimizing it. You just want there to black and white answers to how these things happen. There never will be.

I’m not victim blaming at all. Everything about this at every level was handled incorrectly and awfully.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
How f***ed does your upbringing have to be to just kinda shrug and look the other way when someone as close to you on a daily basis is f***ing raped? Like, how much of a failure do your parents have to be in order for your first instinct to not be ravenous anger at the accused and instant compassion for the victim?

What the f***? And there are Hawks fans who are still like "Well, y'know, whaddaya want them to do? A report was filed, man! HR was handling it! They for sure had the prospect's best interest in mind and wouldn't do everything in their power to keep it on the down low until people were removed quietly and the prospect's life forsaken and forgotten."

f*** off. f*** the entire way off. The whole length of the plank, walk it, and f*** off. :laugh:

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I’m not sure how anything I’ve said is minimizing it. You just want there to black and white answers to how these things happen. There never will be.

I’m not victim blaming at all. Everything about this at every level was handled incorrectly and awfully.

None of this is a mystery and what happened is known. That’s the purpose of investigations. To discover facts. You really did victim blame when you said that his failure to report it to criminal authorities is why Aldrich was allowed to abuse again.

Now we need accountability, and it shouldn’t end with the executives and coaches that lied and covered up a sexual assault.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
None of this is a mystery and what happened is known. That’s the purpose of investigations. To discover facts. You really did victim blame when you said that his failure to report it to criminal authorities is why Aldrich was allowed to abuse again.

Now we need accountability, and it shouldn’t end with the executives and coaches that lied and covered up a sexual assault.

No, I didn’t. If the Blackhawks would’ve investigated these claims he likely resign and can still get a job just like Donatelli. The authorities are the only ones who could’ve done something to Aldrich. The only reason we know this happened for sure is because the authorities nailed Aldrich later in life.

You want blood. Who else is accountable for this situation?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
No, I didn’t. If the Blackhawks would’ve investigated these claims he likely resign and can still get a job just like Donatelli.

You want blood. Who else is accountable for this situation?

A founded sexual assault does not result in resignation, it results in registration on the sex offender registry. What they did—lie and not investigate—resulted in resignation.

As I said before I want justice for the victims
so that people like this will think twice before perpetrating assault. He felt he could get away with it in that organization and he was right.

Team leaders are responsible for the culture together with executives. Not saying they could have prevented the assault, but they participated in the coverup by their silence. They are partly culpable for what happened later.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
A founded sexual assault does not result in resignation, it results in registration on the sex offender registry. What they did—lie and not investigate—resulted in resignation.

As I said before I want justice for the victims
so that people like this will think twice before perpetrating assault. He felt he could get away with it in that organization and he was right.

Team leaders are responsible for the culture together with executives. Not saying they could have prevented the assault, but they participated in the coverup by their silence. They are partly culpable for what happened later.

You’re wrong on multiple accounts. Founded sexual harassment terminations result in resignation all the time. Employers have no duty outside of California to detail to future employers that their associate resigned during a sexual harassment investigation and in some cases can be sued for saying such if it is unfounded.

The organization does not validate sexual assault. The police do. The organization has no ability to add someone to the sexual offender registry. The police do. The organization can not go to the police for the associate if the associate is unwilling to speak to the police which was my point surrounding Beach.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
You’re wrong on multiple accounts. Founded sexual harassment terminations result in resignation all the time. Employers have no duty outside of California to detail to future employers that their associate resigned during a sexual harassment investigation and in some cases can be sued for saying such if it is unfounded.

You keep saying harassment. I said assault.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Regardless of whether or not Toews knew about the incident when it happened, or ignored the taunting afterward, his statement last night certainly reads tone deaf. Why would you even include any defense of Bowman in it?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Blackhawks Ignored 2010 Sexual Assault Accusation, an Investigation Says

Several Chicago Blackhawks executives failed to report a 2010 accusation that a minor league player had been sexually assaulted by the team’s video coach during that year’s playoffs, according to an independent investigation commissioned by the team. Executives were concerned about distracting the team — Chicago won the Stanley Cup a month later — and did not thoroughly investigate the accusation or punish the coach, Brad Aldrich, according to the investigation.

The inaction by Blackhawks executives, who informed neither the N.H.L. nor law enforcement of the accusation, had devastating effects. Aldrich later made a sexual advance toward a Blackhawks intern during the Stanley Cupcelebrations, according to the investigation’s findings, which were released Tuesday. He was allowed to resign from his position after the 2009-10 season, and would go on to hold a number of other jobs in hockey, including at colleges and high schools. In 2013, Aldrich pleaded guilty to having sexual contact with a minor while he was volunteering as a high school coach in Michigan, and he remains on the state’s sex offender registry because of that conviction.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Blackhawks Ignored 2010 Sexual Assault Accusation, an Investigation Says

Several Chicago Blackhawks executives failed to report a 2010 accusation that a minor league player had been sexually assaulted by the team’s video coach during that year’s playoffs, according to an independent investigation commissioned by the team. Executives were concerned about distracting the team — Chicago won the Stanley Cup a month later — and did not thoroughly investigate the accusation or punish the coach, Brad Aldrich, according to the investigation.

The inaction by Blackhawks executives, who informed neither the N.H.L. nor law enforcement of the accusation, had devastating effects. Aldrich later made a sexual advance toward a Blackhawks intern during the Stanley Cupcelebrations, according to the investigation’s findings, which were released Tuesday. He was allowed to resign from his position after the 2009-10 season, and would go on to hold a number of other jobs in hockey, including at colleges and high schools. In 2013, Aldrich pleaded guilty to having sexual contact with a minor while he was volunteering as a high school coach in Michigan, and he remains on the state’s sex offender registry because of that conviction.

Any sexual activity under an organization falls under sexual harassment. Click on the pleaded guilty link. He did it criminally.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Sexual assault is not something an organization investigates.

As I said earlier, you do not comprehend how these situations work and I do it on a daily basis. I just investigated an underage employee being allegedly raped a week ago.

You don’t seem to understand that an organizational investigation of this complaint would have required them to report it to authorities. They buried instead so they would not have to report it.

They immediately dismissed his allegation and did not report it. I have no idea why you are dancing around this.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You don’t seem to understand that an organizational investigation of this complaint would have required them to report it to authorities. They buried instead so they would not have to report it.

They immediately dismissed his allegation and did not report it. I have no idea why you are dancing around this.

They do not have to report it to the authorities in the US. You don’t seem to understand how sexual harassment investigations are handled and I do them on a monthly basis.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
They do not have to report it to the authorities in the US. You don’t seem to understand how sexual harassment investigations are handled and I do them on a monthly basis.

You cannot bury an allegation of sexual assault levied by an employee. And are you really going to argue legalities about reporting a crime to the police post-investigation? There was no investigation. They literally buried it to focus on the Cup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You cannot bury an allegation of sexual assault levied by an employee. And are you really going to argue legalities about reporting a crime to the police post-investigation? There was no investigation. They literally buried it to focus on the Cup.

I agree there was no investigation. You are the one arguing falsities. I’ve never said how Chicago handled this was correct. You’re the one arguing Chicago’s negligence led to Aldrich being in a position to rape additional people.

My only point is that had the Blackhawks properly investigated this without Beach or John Doe 2 going to the authorities this likely does not end in Aldrich not getting hired for future positions.

The victim would have needed to go to the authorities for Aldrich to have any accountable repercussions outside of not working for the Blackhawks. The only laws that require employers reporting to the authorities of sexual assault revolve around children.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I agree there was no investigation. You are the one arguing falsities. I’ve never said how Chicago handled this was correct. You’re the one arguing Chicago’s negligence led to Aldrich being in a position to rape additional people.

My only point is that had the Blackhawks properly investigated this without Beach or John Doe 2 going to the authorities this likely does not end in Aldrich not getting hired for future positions.

I don’t need to argue this, it’s a fact and is exactly what happened. They never investigated, never reported what they found, then they wrote him a positive evaluation all of which enabled him to sexually abuse children in future jobs.

And their coverup allowed him to sexually harass an intern. Then they celebrated the Cup with the alleged predator in the presence of his victim. Heinous.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don’t need to argue this, it’s a fact and is exactly what happened. They never investigated, never reported what they found, then they wrote him a positive evaluation all of which enabled him to sexually abuse children in future jobs.

If they had investigated it, it like results in the same exact thing if the victims are unwilling to go to the authorities which I assume is where the most emotional part of Beach’s interview came from.

Sexual trauma is very hard to convince people to address with the authorities and I believe Paul Vincent is on record telling Beach to go to them.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
If they had investigated it, it like results in the same exact thing if the victims are unwilling to go to the authorities which I assume is where the most emotional part of Beach’s interview came from.

Sexual trauma is very hard to convince people to address with the authorities and I believe Paul Vincent is on record telling Beach to go to them.

But he felt more comfortable reporting it within his organization, who should have investigated and reported it to the proper authorities. Asking the victim to go straight to authorities is often too much. We have organizational processes to resolve these issues but Chicago either did not or did not follow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad