Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
"Source" doesn't mean "more hearsay", it means "provide a link".
I've got you. I saw it online just recently.

Around the NHL 2020-21

I'm pretty sure lots of the guys on lots of teams have been skating together for a while. I'm not sure why they singled out the Jackets.

Edit: I should clarify that my link is just to the previous post discussing it, which is where I "saw it online just recently". In case anyone misses the joke.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've got you. I saw it online just recently.

Around the NHL 2020-21
trouble.gif

:)

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
"Source" doesn't mean "more hearsay", it means "provide a link".

I didn't find the part where Foligno / whoever revealed that they had actually been practicing knowingly special teams, but here is a link to Atkinson (from the CBJ video page) telling about their practices (1:20 forwards).

"As a team, the last month we've been practicing really hard and treating it like it's a training camp practice."

There is also video from their scrimmage from yesterday in their YouTube page. They are really going at it with good tempo, real contact and even slashing.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I didn't find the part where Foligno / whoever revealed that they had actually been practicing knowingly special teams, but here is a link to Atkinson (from the CBJ video page) telling about their practices (1:20 forwards).

"As a team, the last month we've been practicing really hard and treating it like it's a training camp practice."

There is also video from their scrimmage from yesterday in their YouTube page. They are really going at it with good tempo, real contact and even slashing.

As long as it's not being formally conducted by coaches, and it's just playing training together, it's perfectly legal. It's not unusual for teammates to train together in the offseason and honestly good for them for being proactive and having strong player leadership. It helps that Torts has been there a while so they know his systems and can practice them on their own without his guidance.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
17 players from Dallas... I guess that's out of the camp of 40 though, not just their main roster. Otherwise they'd almost have herd immunity.
:help:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Clever strategy by Dallas. Infect a majority of players now and get it behind them. Come crunch time, they will beat teams with key players out.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
No preseason definitely didn't hurt the Flyers, they're slaughtering the Penguins. And I know some of us have mentioned the schedule being a bit boring, facing the same teams back-to-back and the same 7 opponents over and over all season, but they're already getting feisty at the end of this first game and the Flyers and Pens will turn around and play again on Friday. This season could be very entertaining in that regard, so the silver lining to our offseason is that if there was a season for Poile to add an abundance of size and grit, this is probably the best one to do it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Another interesting thing is watching games around the league and seeing who has tarped off their arena and who hasn't. The Flyers did, but Tampa has them only on the side opposite of the camera. I'm curious what the Preds will do, it looks clean and it can be sold as advertising space which would help them a lot.

Crowd noise is another thing, there was crowd noise in the Flyers game. IDK if that's an NBCSN thing or a Flyers thing and which teams will and will not include it.

Things that ultimately don't matter, but it's such a unique season that these are curious little details that will be fun to realize over this first portion of the year.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
No preseason definitely didn't hurt the Flyers, they're slaughtering the Penguins. And I know some of us have mentioned the schedule being a bit boring, facing the same teams back-to-back and the same 7 opponents over and over all season, but they're already getting feisty at the end of this first game and the Flyers and Pens will turn around and play again on Friday. This season could be very entertaining in that regard, so the silver lining to our offseason is that if there was a season for Poile to add an abundance of size and grit, this is probably the best one to do it.

Toronto seems to of forgotten how to defend.

I can't wait to see the Flames and Edmonton destroy each other several times this season. Dallas and Us will probably end up degrading into a bloodbath at some point as well. Some of these rivalries are going to be super intense.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't know if it is just me, but I am having a really hard time with seeing these regular season games in empty arenas and no fans.

It didn't bother me much in the playoffs in the bubble with the games being at neutral sites, but it just feels worse with teams playing in their own arenas in complete silence.

It is just depressing watching great rivals (Pens/Flyers) (Canadiens/Leafs) playing in at atmosphere that looks like a practice.

I just find it incredibly depressing.

And it is REALLY going to be depressing watching games in Bridgestone.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have hockey back, but man, I cannot wait till the day things are back to normal...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't know if it is just me, but I am having a really hard time with seeing these regular season games in empty arenas and no fans.

It didn't bother me much in the playoffs in the bubble with the games being at neutral sites, but it just feels worse with teams playing in their own arenas in complete silence.

It is just depressing watching great rivals (Pens/Flyers) (Canadiens/Leafs) playing in at atmosphere that looks like a practice.

I just find it incredibly depressing.

And it is REALLY going to be depressing watching games in Bridgestone.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have hockey back, but man, I cannot wait till the day things are back to normal...
Eh, I've only watched two games and they have crowd noise piping in (I think, now I'm not even sure) and I can't say I'm all that bothered by it. Granted, I watch a ton of European football so have been watching crowdless games for months. I kind of like hearing player communication and such more audibly than you'd normally be able to. And also no bozos banging on the glass.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Another interesting thing is watching games around the league and seeing who has tarped off their arena and who hasn't. The Flyers did, but Tampa has them only on the side opposite of the camera. I'm curious what the Preds will do, it looks clean and it can be sold as advertising space which would help them a lot.

Crowd noise is another thing, there was crowd noise in the Flyers game. IDK if that's an NBCSN thing or a Flyers thing and which teams will and will not include it.

Things that ultimately don't matter, but it's such a unique season that these are curious little details that will be fun to realize over this first portion of the year.
I saw them advertising those cardboard fan cutouts, I don't know if those would be compatible with tarping everything off. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm going to enjoy watching Colorado and St. Louis beat the hell out of each other and not have to worry about dealing with them (or their fans). Even pandemics have their silver linings.
pretty good realignment for us tbh. Don't have to deal with the big bruisers Colorado, St. Louis, or Winnipeg. Gotta deal with Dallas still sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad