Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I might not be liked for this opinion, but for me, Weber never really was anything to me. I don't have any real animosity towards him but I also don't have ever really been a huge fan of him. Mostly because I saw some awful playoff performances from him up to the Subban trade, which got us to the Finals instantly. I saw Weber as a flop come playoff time and I really still don't like to think of him as a stalwart on D.

This whole wall of text was just me speaking my mind about Weber, with the poster above me hoping that he'll get to end his career by playing. I don't really care how that'll end but I understand the respect for a long time C, and his Pediatric Cancer work with Peks.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I might not be liked for this opinion, but for me, Weber never really was anything to me. I don't have any real animosity towards him but I also don't have ever really been a huge fan of him. Mostly because I saw some awful playoff performances from him up to the Subban trade, which got us to the Finals instantly. I saw Weber as a flop come playoff time and I really still don't like to think of him as a stalwart on D.

Where is that dislike button?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just read the "behind the scenes" article on The Athletic and I don't understand the move any more now than before.

Per Bill Guerin "it wasn't because of the expansion draft" and "it's not to free up money for Kaprizov and Fiala". He also states that they both have game left in them and this will give them the opportunity to help another team.

That's easy to read between the lines. This is a cataclysmic shake up intended to change the character of the team. Plenty of posters on the Wild board were saying that Guerin was rooting out the "country club" culture with this move

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wonder what injury he was playing with through the finals?

Thumb broken requiring surgery, ankle and foot. Otherwise he's fine....most parts anyway.

He was a tank for us in this series. Mean, hard hitting, great leader. In the end, he was surrounded by players to comfort his anguish.

He may not be done and this is simply a Kucherov move. Or not.

What about a trade for Ekholm extended even up. From what I understand he can go on your LTIR and you have his cap space to get a Hamilton.

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Thumb broken requiring surgery, ankle and foot. Otherwise he's fine....most parts anyway.

He was a tank for us in this series. Mean, hard hitting, great leader. In the end, he was surrounded by players to comfort his anguish.

What about a trade for Ekholm extended even up. From what I understand he can go on your LTIR and you have his cap space to get a Hamilton.

Or we could just keep Ekholm and still have that cap space…

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I mean I guess Habs fans can keep dreaming about us giving something up for Weber. It won't happen but you can dream I suppose.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If we were to get hit w/ the 5 million for the next 5 years (oh no *gasp*).. it will just torpedo speed the massive rebuild. a large portion of the preds fan base would probably be thrilled with that.

This whole situation has turned out about as good for NSH as we could have hoped.

weber is going on LTIR and we don’t have to think about it again. unless you venture to the trades board over the next year.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
La Presse which is not prone to crazy is reporting that Weber won't be protected and there is a question about him playing post surgeries.

This hurts big time....

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
With the amount of coverage the recapture has gotten, especially with Weber in Montreal which is supposed to be a savvy market for fans and media... How do sooooo many posters still think that Weber outright retiring would destroy the Preds? Then you explain it to one poster and on the next page someone says the same thing again... We're doomed as a species aren't we?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With the amount of coverage the recapture has gotten, especially with Weber in Montreal which is supposed to be a savvy market for fans and media... How do sooooo many posters still think that Weber outright retiring would destroy the Preds? Then you explain it to one poster and on the next page someone says the same thing again... We're doomed as a species aren't we?
Yep. For what ever reason Habs fans don't seem to understand that we could eat Webers contract this minute and it wouldn't really mean anything. We have the cap space already.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

This whole wall of text was just me speaking my mind about Weber, with the poster above me hoping that he'll get to end his career by playing. I don't really care how that'll end but I understand the respect for a long time C, and his Pediatric Cancer work with Peks.
You'll get hate on this, but I don't vehmently disagree. Weber was my favorite Pred while here, but he's always seemed to be given credit for being a significantly better defensive d-man than he usually was. Suter was the actual good defensive d-man of the two, Weber was always more physical though, which seemed to skew perception of him around the league. He evolved and improved over the years, but he has really always been a physical offensive defenseman with an average to above average defensive game. He's not Scott Stevens though, or anything.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't have an issue with Weber one way or the other but there never was this great love affair with him either for me. He was a good Dman, but also the reason we are dealing with this BS contract nonsense we have for nearly a decade now. Just like with Suter he didn't do this organization any favors. Frankly I'll be glad once its done and over.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah.. gotta think that’s the end of the line for Weber.

Weber and Rinne both in the same offseason. Strange times.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And past that it all begins with a very faulty premise that Weber would just retire anyway.

Sure there are lots of arguments we can raise and lots of math you could do *IF* Weber retired. But. Who throws away $12M? And on top of that, if you're considered a "classy" person at all, like Weber is renowned to be, and the NHL has a longstanding tradition of LTIRetirement, how do you even begin the argument with a retirement assumption instead?

It's almost completely non-credible that he'd ever retire anyway. But everybody seems to want to jump blindly past that first enormous hurdle and straight into the rest of the arguments.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Knowing Weber, he will do his best to get healthy and get one more run at the Cup.

If he can't, he will stay on LTIR and help both his current and his past team out with cap relief. That's the kind of guy he is.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This team is near rebuild/serious retool. Giving up any assets to LTIR Weber would be a asinine. Weber retiring would simply push us closer to s starting the retool/rebuild assuming the league doesn’t step in and waive the recapture penalty since we didn’t negotiate the contract to begin with. I for one welcome a retool

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And past that it all begins with a very faulty premise that Weber would just retire anyway.

Sure there are lots of arguments we can raise and lots of math you could do *IF* Weber retired. But. Who throws away $12M? And on top of that, if you're considered a "classy" person at all, like Weber is renowned to be, and the NHL has a longstanding tradition of LTIRetirement, how do you even begin the argument with a retirement assumption instead?

It's almost completely non-credible that he'd ever retire anyway. But everybody seems to want to jump blindly past that first enormous hurdle and straight into the rest of the arguments.
This has always been my response to the recapture worry warts and the reason I stay out of the conversation, it's foolish.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Knowing Weber, he will do his best to get healthy and get one more run at the Cup.

If he can't, he will stay on LTIR and help both his current and his past team out with cap relief. That's the kind of guy he is.

I have no idea why anyone with a legit injury would retire rather than stay on LTIR and collect money.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad