Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Colin Blackwell Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
is Blackwell really this good, 12 goals in 47 games

He's 28 years old. I'd say that it's likely a fluke. I don't know the Rangers' situation this year, but he may've gotten extra opportunity because of injury or COVID scratching. I wouldn't expect him to do it again... maybe the same 12 goals over an 82-game season, though. If he turns into a solid bottom-6er for you and sticks in the NHL, good for him.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Are the Rangers waiting to see if any prominent coaches get fired after Round 1? I thought it sounded like Gallant was almost a shoo-in to land that job? :huh:

I saw a story on my phone at lunch that they were waiting for Brind'Amour and another NHL coach whose name that I don't recall.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He's 28 years old. I'd say that it's likely a fluke. I don't know the Rangers' situation this year, but he may've gotten extra opportunity because of injury or COVID scratching. I wouldn't expect him to do it again... maybe the same 12 goals over an 82-game season, though. If he turns into a solid bottom-6er for you and sticks in the NHL, good for him.

Blackwell is small enough and fast enough (5'9" and 190 pounds) to get between players with the puck. He doesn't look fast, so I guess that he is sneaky fast and has the experience to read the play and find open ice.

He averaged a goal every 3 or 4 games in Milwaukee. Twelve goals in 47 games is 0.255 GPG. Blackwell is good, but I prefer Granny or Arvy.

Kunin has 2 goals in 4 playoff games, the same as Joey and FF. How much is that worth to a team?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Watching my first batch of other series tonight. The third period of PIT-NYI is basically roller derby. They called 1 tripping penalty in that 3rd period. 4 stick infractions is all they've called all game. Any and all amount of holding, roughing, interference, boarding, anything else one can imagine is absolutely fair game. :eek: (Most of the stick infractions are too, but they did at least call 2 a side over 60 mins).

So weird to see an empty rink with fake fan noise again in the Leafs-Habs game too.

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
And Tristan Jerry just flat out gives the puck away in double OT and Isles take game 5. Makes me thankful Saros doesn’t play the puck much.

Reactions: LCPreds

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
And Tristan Jerry just flat out gives the puck away in double OT and Isles take game 5. Makes me thankful Saros doesn’t play the puck much.

That was one of the worst plays in NHL playoff history. Jarry literally could have passed/shot the puck ANYWHERE on the entire ice other than where he did- which was a perfect pass to a NYI.

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Spencer Knight is pretty good at this hockey thing.
I understand why they didn't, but obviously Florida should have started him right from Game 1. Oh well. Bobrovsky will be the most expensive backup goalie in history. (Well, that's not hard since he's already the 2nd most expensive goalie in history, period).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
they would be a lottery team without McDavid. It’s only a matter of time before he wants out, right?

Edmonton is absolute proof as to why firing everyone and selling to draft high just doesn’t work. I feel bad for the fans.
That team needs some smart bargain shopping for sure. It just seems like so much of the roster was "bargain", without the "smart". If a team can be competitive while spending $16M on Joey and Duchene, they sure as shoot can be while spending $21M on McDavid and Draisatl. But they need to fill out the rest of their roster better than they have.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
That team needs some smart bargain shopping for sure. It just seems like so much of the roster was "bargain", without the "smart". If a team can be competitive while spending $16M on Joey and Duchene, they sure as shoot can be while spending $21M on McDavid and Draisatl. But they need to fill out the rest of their roster better than they have.

Their problem, and what has been their problems for a while... is timely goaltending and team defense. Since McDavid entered the league, only 6 teams have been scored on more than the Oilers (you can probably guess 4 of them without even trying).

The Oilers have had the 4th best power play in the league, but 22nd in PK.

Poor trades and questionable drafting at pivotal points in the franchise's growth curve also didn't help.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
they would be a lottery team without McDavid. It’s only a matter of time before he wants out, right?

Edmonton is absolute proof as to why firing everyone and selling to draft high just doesn’t work. I feel bad for the fans.
I should say, I absolutely do not feel bad for the fans. That franchise has been spoiled with 2 of the greatest players of all time, they've won a bunch of Stanley Cups, had numerous hall-of-fame players in their lineup. So really, all things considered, I can't really feel bad for them. :dunno:

Reactions: hockey diva

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I should say, I absolutely do not feel bad for the fans. That franchise has been spoiled with 2 of the greatest players of all time, they've won a bunch of Stanley Cups, had numerous hall-of-fame players in their lineup. So really, all things considered, I can't really feel bad for them. :dunno:

Not to mention shot after shot of top 5 picks.

It's mind blowing they haven't gone after a great goalie hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad