Around the NHL 2019 - 2020

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I can't believe Carolina is doing what they are doing.

The way the Islanders just completely dominated the penguins and now look totally incapable of generating anything. They just looked worn out tonight. I don't know if they had too much rest after the first round while Carolina kept rolling, but it's impressive by Carolina.

For the last 5 minutes of the game the Islanders could barely get the puck over the red line before Carolina intercepted it and cleared it away.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Carolina's weird in that they've made the playoffs 6 times now in their existence, and 3 of those times they've made it to at least the conference finals.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Gonna have a lot of people asking the rhetorical question of "would you be ok only making the playoffs every ten years if you won the Cup or made the finals whenever you do make it?

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Gonna have a lot of people asking the rhetorical question of "would you be ok only making the playoffs every ten years if you won the Cup or made the finals whenever you do make it?

Yes.

We could make the playoffs every year of existence but that means nothing if we don't win the damn cup.

No one remembers losers.

Reactions: bdub24

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Depends. Carolina won a Cup and then went 10 seasons missing the playoffs. It hurt their attendance a lot. Yes, winning the Cup is the ultimate goal. Having hope puts butts in seats.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We pay a lot of money for tickets and have done so for over 10 years. Doubt I would continue to do so if we were perennial losers for the next 10 years.

Seems like it's one of those things where it's easy to say "sure, I'll trade 10 years of suck for 1 cup year!" but actually living those 10 years would make most people disinterested. I don't care how big of a fan you are today I guarantee you that fandom would fade in a 10 year run like that. Of course then you would be 'bandwagon' during the cup run.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We pay a lot of money for tickets and have done so for over 10 years. Doubt I would continue to do so if we were perennial losers for the next 10 years.

Seems like it's one of those things where it's easy to say "sure, I'll trade 10 years of suck for 1 cup year!" but actually living those 10 years would make most people disinterested. I don't care how big of a fan you are today I guarantee you that fandom would fade in a 10 year run like that. Of course then you would be 'bandwagon' during the cup run.

Blues and San Jose have survived. Surely we could too.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Yep- this exactly. We have had this discussion many times on here and it is always a fascinating topic.

It is so easy to say when it is just a hypothetical, but in reality I don't think it is nearly as cut and dried as people make it out to be.

First, when I hear people say- “nothing matters except winning the Cup- without it everything is meaningless”. Do not agree with that. The Blues have gone 50 years without a Cup. The Leafs haven’t been out of the first round since 2004 and haven’t won the cup in 52 years.

The cold hard fact for us Preds fans is this- there is a great likelihood that we will never see the Preds win a Cup- it might not EVER happen. And if that winds up happening, what it the point of being a fan if everything else is meaningless?? I have been a hockey fan for over 30 years and I have never seen my team win a Cup. But there is no way you can tell me that those 30 years meant nothing. The past 3 seasons have given me some of my greatest sports memories in my lifetime.

We still don’t have a Cup, but was that SCF run meaningless? If it truly is win the Cup or nothing else matters, then by that logic we may as well have missed the playoffs that year.

So the Canes win a Cup, and then miss the playoffs 10 straight years. If we made that deal with the devil for the Preds, I don’t think a 10 year run of awfulness would be nearly as easy to take as some people say. We have had it pretty good the past few years as Preds fans, and I think it is easy to forget how miserable it is to lose for even one season. Heck, we just had a division winning season, 100 points, make the playoffs, and yet many Preds fans are looking for the nearest tall building to leap off of. Could those people really handle 10 straight 80 point seasons???

I just think people severely underestimate the regular season and how much it does matter when you are a die-hard fan. Especially when you shell out thousands of dollars for tickets and make great sacrifices just to go to games. Heck, we had a 100 point season this year and even it felt absolutely miserable- imagine several years of 70-80 point seasons. It would be unbearable. The thing about miserable seasons is you are talking almost 7 months of misery almost on a daily basis. When we flamed out in the playoff this year it was 2 weeks of misery. Have a bad season and it is SEVEN months of misery.

Look back at the 117 point season- no, we did not win the Cup that year, but no way anyone can tell me that since we didn’t win the Cup then that season didn’t matter or was meaningless. That was an incredible season that brought every Preds fan a ton of happiness and memories over a 7 month period. You just cannot tell me that doesn’t matter. Same thing for the Cup run season.

And if we did win a Cup and then entered that 10 years of no playoffs, I don’t think it would take long before some fans would be up in arms and all doom and gloom again. Lot harder than it looks to just say “well, we have had 6 straight awful seasons, but it is ok because we won that Cup 7 years ago”. Carolina is a great example of that.

I am sure many of you guys will disagree with this- don’t get me wrong- winning the Cup is and always will be the ultimate goal and is the most important thing. All I am saying is it is not as easy a question as many make it out to be- when you are as invested as a fan as most of us are on here, overall success apart from a Cup win is also extremely important

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yep- this exactly. We have had this discussion many times on here and it is always a fascinating topic.

It is so easy to say when it is just a hypothetical, but in reality I don't think it is nearly as cut and dried as people make it out to be.

First, when I hear people say- “nothing matters except winning the Cup- without it everything is meaningless”. Do not agree with that. The Blues have gone 50 years without a Cup. The Leafs haven’t been out of the first round since 2004 and haven’t won the cup in 52 years.

The cold hard fact for us Preds fans is this- there is a great likelihood that we will never see the Preds win a Cup- it might not EVER happen. And if that winds up happening, what it the point of being a fan if everything else is meaningless?? I have been a hockey fan for over 30 years and I have never seen my team win a Cup. But there is no way you can tell me that those 30 years meant nothing. The past 3 seasons have given me some of my greatest sports memories in my lifetime.

We still don’t have a Cup, but was that SCF run meaningless? If it truly is win the Cup or nothing else matters, then by that logic we may as well have missed the playoffs that year.

So the Canes win a Cup, and then miss the playoffs 10 straight years. If we made that deal with the devil for the Preds, I don’t think a 10 year run of awfulness would be nearly as easy to take as some people say. We have had it pretty good the past few years as Preds fans, and I think it is easy to forget how miserable it is to lose for even one season. Heck, we just had a division winning season, 100 points, make the playoffs, and yet many Preds fans are looking for the nearest tall building to leap off of. Could those people really handle 10 straight 80 point seasons???

I just think people severely underestimate the regular season and how much it does matter when you are a die-hard fan. Especially when you shell out thousands of dollars for tickets and make great sacrifices just to go to games. Heck, we had a 100 point season this year and even it felt absolutely miserable- imagine several years of 70-80 point seasons. It would be unbearable. The thing about miserable seasons is you are talking almost 7 months of misery almost on a daily basis. When we flamed out in the playoff this year it was 2 weeks of misery. Have a bad season and it is SEVEN months of misery.

Look back at the 117 point season- no, we did not win the Cup that year, but no way anyone can tell me that since we didn’t win the Cup then that season didn’t matter or was meaningless. That was an incredible season that brought every Preds fan a ton of happiness and memories over a 7 month period. You just cannot tell me that doesn’t matter. Same thing for the Cup run season.

And if we did win a Cup and then entered that 10 years of no playoffs, I don’t think it would take long before some fans would be up in arms and all doom and gloom again. Lot harder than it looks to just say “well, we have had 6 straight awful seasons, but it is ok because we won that Cup 7 years ago”. Carolina is a great example of that.

I am sure many of you guys will disagree with this- don’t get me wrong- winning the Cup is and always will be the ultimate goal and is the most important thing. All I am saying is it is not as easy a question as many make it out to be- when you are as invested as a fan as most of us are on here, overall success apart from a Cup win is also extremely important
You're not alone on this one. I have as many fond memories, and have been far more fulfilled, by all the regular season and unsuccessful playoff hockey I've enjoyed than the two Cups the Kings won. It was a neat experience to see, of course, but then it's done and it's on to the next adventure. It doesn't validate or affirm my fanhood or my choice of favorite teams in any way and it doesn't keep me warm in the context of a bottom 5 finish this season (and maybe more to come).

Separately, I do have some very fond memories of the '88 World Series the Dodgers won, but that almost has everything to do with the Kirk Gibson home run, which I think would have stuck with me regardless of the outcome of that series (the memory of the Dodgers coming back in a regular season game in 2013 with 4 straight homers, capped by a Nomar homer in extra innings, is an equally favorite memory...so it's not simply the World Series context of Gibson that was memorable). For the Preds, funny enough, the Mike Fisher OT winner against San Jose still means far more to me than the Cup Finals appearance. I think even a Preds Cup would have to have a pretty special moment to surpass that one for me.

Off on a tangent, but I hear you drwpreds and I would gladly take 25 successful regular seasons without a Cup versus a similar span that produced a Cup but also 10-15 years of mediocre to bad hockey.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Last 2 posts sum it up for me as well. Winning a Cup would be great but it would be just like everything else, simply a memory. I've had a good amount of those over the last few years and we didn't win a cup.

1) 3OT looking up at the clock and seeing 1AM. Amazing.
2) Being at the Chicago watch party for Game 2 when maybe 100 people were there.
3) Chants of Sweep! Sweep! Sweep! --- Knowing this might be the playoff high but it didn't matter, we just swept the f'n Blackhawks.
4) The Sissons hat trick that no one actually in the arena knew was a hat trick. I still watch that 3rd goal from time to time on Youtube.
5) Seeing the bar that Nashville set for everyone to beat when it comes to the SCF outdoor experience. Just like we seem to do for everything. (ASG & NFL Draft come to mind)
6) Pens Games 3 & 4 --- but even then none of those are even as high for me as #3 or #4
7) Watching those banners go up.
8) Seeing the Pres Trophy get handed out.

All of these were in arena experiences for me so maybe it's a little different from that aspect. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that I don't see how the memory of winning the cup would be any more pronounced for me than any of those above, other than perhaps #6 or #8.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I've sat through a ton of stuff, Game 6 against the Ducks to go to the SCF is one of them, but my favorite is still that very first playoff game on home ice. That is a game I simply won't forget. I'd never heard anything like that in my life, it simple was a moment where you just could not stop smiling.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I can't stand the Bruins, but you have to give them credit. They have faced two really good opponents and have faced 4 pretty much do or die games:

Game 4 at Toronto- down 2 games to 1
Game 6 at Toronto- down 3 games to 2
Game 7 vs Toronto
Game 4 at Columbus- down 2 games to 1

And they went 4-0 in those games. Pretty impressive

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Here's my top moments. Probably forgetting something..:

1. Game 3 vs. Pittsburgh. I rode the escalator up to the 300's and saw the mass of humanity outside, not realizing just how many people were downtown when I came into the arena. In the background was a musician in the concourse playing a slowed down "Country Roads, Take me Home" and it was over for me. Immediately welled up and started crying. I know this sounds stupid, but I grew up watching this team; sat through the Saturday night games against Detroit when 15K crowds were "rowdy", even if half the fans were DRW fans. It was just a weird, emotional moment for me.

2. David Legwand's goal to move to the second round for the first time. Man, oh man that was the biggest monkey off our back, and it was poetic that Leggy got the tally.

3. Sully's return. Nobody really knew if he'd play again. Was a fantastic night and a jolt to the system. Sully was my favorite player as a kid.

4. Sweeping CHI. Obvious.. Little brother finally lands a punch against big brother.

5. Beating DRW by 8. Was a blast.

6. 05-06 season. Would've been even better if DRW wasn't SO good. Was the first REALLY fun season we had in terms of being competitive.

7. All-Star game. Just a blast to go to that.

8. Fisher's OT goal in the 43rd OT.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So with sincere(for real) condolences to @Viqsi , I am otherwise relieved that the Jackets are eliminated.

Mostly because there shouldnt be the big "oh we almost won it all let's all stay together" feeling, thus making it more likely that Duchene hits the UFA market. Poile, get your checkbook out...

And of course it goes without saying that a Blue Jacket cup before a Preds cup would have just been intolerable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So with sincere(for real) condolences to @Viqsi , I am otherwise relieved that the Jackets are eliminated.

Mostly because there shouldnt be the big "oh we almost won it all let's all stay together" feeling, thus making it more likely that Duchene hits the UFA market. Poile, get your checkbook out...

And of course it goes without saying that a Blue Jacket cup before a Preds cup would have just been intolerable.
I had a snappy comeback in mind, but it'd probably get me stoned for heresy. ;)

Grar. :(

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Well they did get past round 1. Not sure it was worth everything they gave up for that. Be interesting to see what happens with their UFA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad