Around the NHL 2019 - 2020

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think what you are seeing is that players want a shorter term knowing that if they want they can sign that QO that last year and move to FA.

If you cant get mega bucks on that contract they are betting they can on the next when they have much more leverage.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
More of these Golden Gate bridge type deals going around... and some of them like Boeser, McAvoy, the aav are really incredibly low. It doesn't seem like the Marner megadeal really set any kind of precedent whatsoever. More like players are just caving with the start of the preseason.
Toronto just has all the money in the world to dole out in up front bonuses. They are using the CBA loopholes to their advantage. Good ole Toronto!

Should I make a thread on the general board about how unfair it is that they can do upfront bonuses to counter their tax free threads?

Make a thread asking why, if Canadia can loophole the CBA with bonuses, why they haven't won a cup since '93 lulz.

or

If Canada is so great, move all the American teams to AlSasqatchaYukonBec, and see what happens.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Faulk trade and signing seems like an odd move for the Blues. Unless they are planning on moving one of Pietrangelo, Parayko, or Faulk to the left side I would have to guess it means Pietrangelo is on his way out after the season. Guess they figure they might as well load up and go for the repeat after they were able to keep most of the team together this offseason.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
They do lose some toughness though. A lot of people saying what a great price that was for Faulk, but I think the Canes are slight winners on this one.

I love Edmundson, and you need a few players like him on the roster to win. Plus Bokk who might not be a star player but would be a good addition to either the Blues or Canes.

But yeah, the Blues defense will be able to run a legit puck mover on every shift now. That's also pretty scary.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You see an expiring (and then re-signed) Faulk get back Edmunson and Bokk and then think about a superior player in Subban, with 3 years left, only getting back Santini and Davies and picks... :eek: Yeah, I know, cap space (and am also a believer that this may ultimately be addition by subtraction), but there's a small part of me that feels like Duchene better shit golden turds or something to make that contract dump look good long-term.

Reactions: Scoresberg

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
You see an expiring (and then re-signed) Faulk get back Edmunson and Bokk and then think about a superior player in Subban, with 3 years left, only getting back Santini and Davies and picks... :eek: Yeah, I know, cap space (and am also a believer that this may ultimately be addition by subtraction), but there's a small part of me that feels like Duchene better **** golden turds or something to make that contract dump look good long-term.
Blues fans think they won this trade going away but I'm not sold on it. What is so impressive about Faulk? If Bokk turns into anything the Blues got boned.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You see an expiring (and then re-signed) Faulk get back Edmunson and Bokk and then think about a superior player in Subban, with 3 years left, only getting back Santini and Davies and picks... :eek: Yeah, I know, cap space (and am also a believer that this may ultimately be addition by subtraction), but there's a small part of me that feels like Duchene better **** golden turds or something to make that contract dump look good long-term.

Its disingenuous to act like Faulk was "expiring". This deal doesnt happen unless the Faulk extension is agreed upon in advance. And are Edmundson and Bokk that much better than Santini and Davies? Plus the two seconds? I really dont see how this deal makes the Subban deal look bad

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Its disingenuous to act like Faulk was "expiring". This deal doesnt happen unless the Faulk extension is agreed upon in advance. And are Edmundson and Bokk that much better than Santini and Davies? Plus the two seconds? I really dont see how this deal makes the Subban deal look bad
I don't know. Edmunson is capable of playing top 4 (though was inconsistent last season) and Bokk is a "top 50" prospect. Value all could be a wash in the end. I guess it's more trading an "elite" d-man with term and getting nothing of immediate impact in return, while in "win now" mode. Though it facilitated making the Duchene signing, it was possible (though more difficult) to do it while getting more immediate value back. Like I said though, that's just a little doubting voice in the back of my head thinking that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Big difference in trading for someone and trading someone to dump cap when it comes to value. Poile only got what he did because he didn't want to retain, only he knows what would have been coming back had he retained salary.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Blues fans think they won this trade going away but I'm not sold on it. What is so impressive about Faulk? If Bokk turns into anything the Blues got boned.
Faulk is kind of like Ellis to me. He can score some points... if you push him into the position to score some points and spoon feed him a lot of icetime. But he's not really a good player. You'll get some bad D from spoon feeding him all those minutes too. It's interesting that Carolina did not fall in love with this player with these warts, but Nashville did fall in love with their version. I'd use them as 18-minute #4/5D with some PP time. More than that and they are getting over-used.

I don't mind if St.Louis goes this way, for sure... it's not going to help them any since they already had good enough RD. If it ultimately means the lose Pietrangelo, so much the better! :handclap:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm enjoying the fact that with the Tkachuk signing that the only big name unsigned RFAs left are on our division rivals.
I bet Connor signs one of these Golden Gate Bridge deals shortly.

Laine is a trickier case since it seems like both sides are a little down on eachother. :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I bet Connor signs one of these Golden Gate Bridge deals shortly.

Laine is a trickier case since it seems like both sides are a little down on eachother. :dunno:
I think Rantanen is the trickiest, he seems most content on holding out, and they're far off on the term, not the money.

As for the Faulk trade, the Blues get better on paper but I don't see why they needed Faulk, they're loaded on the right side. Is Pietrangelo potentially on his way out? Who shifts to the left side?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Faulk signing tells you St. Louis already knows Pietrangelo is going to FA. That signing makes little sense otherwise because you don't pay a 3rd pairing guy that, and if he is playing top 4 then someone is not playing on their natural side.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
It would have been difficult (but not impossible) to both sign Duchene and keep Subban. I wonder how hard we tried to do that.

had we traded Bonino and Smith for picks and/or prospects and replaced them with Pitlick and Tolvanen, we could've fit in both Duchene and PK and still had 1.1 million in cap space.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It would have been difficult (but not impossible) to both sign Duchene and keep Subban. I wonder how hard we tried to do that.
I doubt they tried. We talked about lots of things here... trading Ellis instead... or finding some place to dump Turris, for example... but I think Poile and Subban were kind of in mutual concord that he'd move on. Alas. I hope it's obvious to all that we'd have a better team keeping Subban and moving lesser players instead. But I just doubt that was ever on the table. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Rantanen is the trickiest, he seems most content on holding out, and they're far off on the term, not the money.

As for the Faulk trade, the Blues get better on paper but I don't see why they needed Faulk, they're loaded on the right side. Is Pietrangelo potentially on his way out? Who shifts to the left side?
Except Rantanen doesn't seem to be particularly disgruntled with the Avs, nor the Avs with him. They may disagree on the style/substance of the contract, but otherwise don't seem to have any issues with eachother? Whereas the Laine case... he complains about his coach, his utilization, the team doesn't like the way he prepares or behaves away from the rink or whatever... it just seems like there's a lot more acrimony in that situation. Rantanen is pure numbers. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not one to get on the whole Subban as a locker room cancer thing, in fact been very adamant about it, but I get the sense that something there for Poile and Subban just said it was time for him to move on. What that was, or whether it was just both knowing the nature of the business, but Subban stated very early that he was likely trade material and it appears Poile never really deviated from that idea.

It may be as simple as Subban making it known he would rather get back in the East and Poile wanting to move him for cap reasons. Nothing bad, just was time.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not one to get on the whole Subban as a locker room cancer thing, in fact been very adamant about it, but I get the sense that something there for Poile and Subban just said it was time for him to move on. What that was, or whether it was just both knowing the nature of the business, but Subban stated very early that he was likely trade material and it appears Poile never really deviated from that idea.

It may be as simple as Subban making it known he would rather get back in the East and Poile wanting to move him for cap reasons. Nothing bad, just was time.
Yeah, I think it was hard for Subban last year. As you say, nothing really bad, and definitely none of that "locker room cancer" stuff. But sometimes playing less than Ellis, even in his good years, and a team that seems a little ?casual? about things last year... maybe didn't really fit with what Subban preferred. Just in a mild way though. It just seemed like both sides were just accepting of the move from Day 1. And it seems like they also probably knew from that Day 1 that Duchene was indeed incoming. Whereas us in the peanut gallery, we were busy fretting about who else we could trade instead, whether Duchene would actually sign here or not, etc, etc... unnecessarily. Good times! :)

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

Subban is on his way down. And you know he wanted to take his act to New York. There’s big publicity available there for he and Lindsay(sp?). And publicity=money. He left by mutual agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad