Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The conversation surrounding Ristolainen is the same one people were having about Myers back in 2015.

"He'd be a 50-point, Norris winner in Detroit."

If he's so good, why is Buffalo (of all places) looking to deal him?

I mean he's a 24 year old that's put up 4 consecutive 40+ point seasons on Buffalo at this point so limited as he is clearly he's good at something

Buffalo was looking to deal Ryan O'Reilly last summer was it a bad idea for St. Louis to trade for him too? that's just weak logic right there

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So what makes you think the exact same thing wouldn't happen here?

I'm not necessarily saying no to Ristolainen, but any D of significance we bring in here is going to be our best and will correspondingly have the biggest workload. That's why bringing in a more all-around dman would be far preferable. If we're talking giving up AA+ then Trouba or Subban would have been the player to pay that price for, they're both far better suited to that top pairing role. But alas it appears we were not in a position to beat the low prices both went for, which makes paying the suggested price for Ristolainen seem unlikely IMO.
I expect Risto would end up getting too big a workload here as well, but someone has to do it and as the team gets better and he slides down the lineup he'd be a great piece. Maybe under a new system and such he does better even with 1st pairing minutes. Maybe not, either way I'd be acquiring him for three years from now, not today.

I advocated for trading for Trouba, but it seems like he may want to go to FA so if that's the case I wouldn't have moved much for him. Subban I'd be more wary of just because he's a little older, and has started to slow down a bit. I think he'd have aged too much by the time we're good again. Risto is only 24 right now though so we could reasonably expect him to still be good when the roster is better.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It's strange that Trouba and NY haven't agreed to contract extension yet. Usually these things happen quickly if both sides are in agreement they want to continue the relationship. Leads me to belief Trouba is not quite ready to commit long term to NY yet.

Reactions: Winger98

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Ferland signing for 3.5m aav x 4 years reminds me just how atrocious Abdelkader's contract is

All about who's on the market and when. Abby did very well from not just the country club approach and Dats making him look good, but also being around during an awful FA market. Had his contracted ended 2 years later post the streak and with more interesting UFAs, he'd be signed for £3m or with another club.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Dzingel - sings for 2 years, 3.375M/year with Carolina. 56 points in 78 games last year, age 27. But we needed to sign an over the hill Filppula for like the same amount. Cool.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Carolina is further ahead than we are. I doubt he comes here for less than 5 mil.

Ok, then i'd sign him for 5M over the next 2 years. We have zillions in cap space, and extra million or two doesn't matter at this point of the rebuild as we aren't close to the cap.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ok, then i'd sign him for 5M over the next 2 years. We have zillions in cap space, and extra million or two doesn't matter at this point of the rebuild as we aren't close to the cap.

I don't think Yzerman was interested in adding wins this year to be honest... To me from the outside it looks like he is attempting to finish bottom 3 this year. If the Wings youth saves them from that plight he will probably be happy to establish a chunk of his core. If not, hopefully Byfield is in a Winged Wheel jersey soon.

Dzingel gives us 5 legitimate top 6 guys. If Zadina proves ready, you could argue we have 6 top 6 forwards. Nemeth helps in terms of shot suppression. Filppula helps because frankly that was Yzerman to Ferris in terms of AA is not a center in my opinion. To me a part of the Filppula assignment is tied to the AA negotiations.

It should be a fascinating 12 months. Stevie is evaluating, I agree with front office first, but I do think we are about to see a decent amount of action as the players are up next in my opinion.

Last edited:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

I would argue at this point in the rebuild there is no point in spending the extra money for a player that puts us in a position to draft 12th, while clearly blocking a young guy from making the team. Next year if Veleno is ready Fil is an easy player to basically ditch. You can demote him the the AHL or trade him for pennies. Dzingel is too good of a player to do that. You cant expect Veleno to come in and be a 50 point player year one. which he would have to do to replace Dzingel.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Dzingel - sings for 2 years, 3.375M/year with Carolina. 56 points in 78 games last year, age 27. But we needed to sign an over the hill Filppula for like the same amount. Cool.
your not grasping that the best way to build a team is thru early draft picks . we get a zingel and maybe he helps enough to get us into playoffs where we lose first round . mean while we thru away a shot at first pick . and long term if zingel stayed hes nothing more than a 3rd liner that wont be a core member of a dynasty . 19's aiming to build a dynasty . hes looking for ways to add elite players . and right now in our weakly roster state the best mode is to stay out of the ufa market beyond adding vets that are good for leadership while the prospects are getting developed . 19 knows flip and that hes good for the room / culture , wont cost future cap space . and wont make us much better and thusly threaten a chance in lotto . your foolishly trying to pit your opinion on running an nhl team vs steve yzerman , think that over a bit .

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'd hate to see what Mantha and AA will ask for if we were to pay Dzingel 5M.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Well 1 year of Marleau @ $6.5 cost a 1st rounder.

He's got 3 years remaining at a similar cap hit. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 1st.
that marleua deal is so fishy to me how they got a 1st . to me seems like dumas messed up , but ive not read into the details of that transaction .

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think Yzerman was interested in adding wins this year to be honest... To me from the outside it looks like he is attempting to finish bottom 3 this year. If the Wings youth saves them from that plight he will probably be happy to establish a chunk of his core. If not, hopefully Byfield is in a Winged Wheel jersey soon.

Dzingel gives us 5 legitimate top 6 guys. If Zadina proves ready, you could argue we have 6 top 6 forwards. Nemeth helps in terms of shot suppression. Filppula helps because frankly that was Yzerman to Ferris in terms of AA is not a center in my opinion. To me a part of the Filppula assignment is tied to the AA negotiations.

It should be a fascinating 12 months. Stevie is evaluating, I agree with front office first, but I do think we are about to see a decent amount of action as the players are up next in my opinion.

If we aren’t trying to be a more a bit more competitive team next year, then why sign Flip at all? Why sign a 2 year deal for a guy you don’t need? Sign some random scrub center to a 1 year deal just to fill a roster spot, a younger guy to fill the 3rd line role, if you don’t want Veleno or Ras to have to play that spot.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I would argue at this point in the rebuild there is no point in spending the extra money for a player that puts us in a position to draft 12th, while clearly blocking a young guy from making the team. Next year if Veleno is ready Fil is an easy player to basically ditch. You can demote him the the AHL or trade him for pennies. Dzingel is too good of a player to do that. You cant expect Veleno to come in and be a 50 point player year one. which he would have to do to replace Dzingel.

A 28 year old Dzingel, coming off a 40+ point season, would be easier to ditch/trade than an over the hill 20-30 point guy. And Dzingel might actually get a decent asset in return.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
your not grasping that the best way to build a team is thru early draft picks . we get a zingel and maybe he helps enough to get us into playoffs where we lose first round . mean while we thru away a shot at first pick . and long term if zingel stayed hes nothing more than a 3rd liner that wont be a core member of a dynasty . 19's aiming to build a dynasty . hes looking for ways to add elite players . and right now in our weakly roster state the best mode is to stay out of the ufa market beyond adding vets that are good for leadership while the prospects are getting developed . 19 knows flip and that hes good for the room / culture , wont cost future cap space . and wont make us much better and thusly threaten a chance in lotto . your foolishly trying to pit your opinion on running an nhl team vs steve yzerman , think that over a bit .

What a stupid comment. So I’m not allowed to have an opinion or disagree with a move the GM makes?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
its said nucks wanting to dump erikson contract . what level draft pick could that 3x$6 contract get us ?
Loui Eriksson hasn't tried since he signed that contract. Putrid hockey player, I don't want him slothing up our facilities for 3 years. The Canucks are a team I watch more than almost every other team besides the Wings, he's a straight slug.

I don't worry about it though, based on this summer there's no way in hell Stevie Y is doing something like that.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Indeed. Seems very much like the Yzerplan so far is to take our lumps, hold young players back at the moment until they are ready for their long term projected role, and make sure any wins are off the back of the younger core going forward. If anything, its hoping that Green gets and stays fit and that Daley bounces back, and that you can flip both along with any other future non core guys for picks in the first 3 rounds in 2020, while trying to get decent lottery odds. For a team as lacking in cornerstones as we currently are, this upcoming draft is a year to not pursue marginal gains. Its about protecting our prospects, not putting them in over their heads, and hoping for a shot at one of the top 5 superstars next year.

The only thing that will stop that is if our kids take big steps forward, and that is a bearable trade-off.

Absolutely no point picking up a guy who won't instantly be a top guy unless its to buy time for a prospect (like flip) or perform a basic function otherwise largely missing (like Nemeth).

I'm not a tank guy, but if you are odds on bottom 5, there's no point making moves that don't form a strategic function. Also, the way the NHL is going, if our younger players with decent ceilings are held back a year longer to lower their RFA costs, that's no bad thing given the likely contracts timings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Loui Eriksson hasn't tried since he signed that contract. Putrid hockey player, I don't want him slothing up our facilities for 3 years. The Canucks are a team I watch more than almost every other team besides the Wings, he's a straight slug.

I don't worry about it though, based on this summer there's no way in hell Stevie Y is doing something like that.

This is one of the worst quit jobs I have seen though. I mean the Loui Eriksson that played in Dallas was honestly one of my favorite two-way point producing wingers. He was a really good hockey player, just wow watching the current edition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad