Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Who?
And if this player exists in our system why not just send Ericsson or Daley or Bowey down?

If Ericsson is sent down, a part of his cap still counts (3.3M or something close). If he's bought out, it's more of a saving.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If Ericsson is sent down, a part of his cap still counts (3.3M or something close). If he's bought out, it's more of a saving.
Either way it's inconsequential. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie sends him or Daley down if multiple defensemen show they're NHL ready.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Either way it's inconsequential. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie sends him or Daley down if multiple defensemen show they're NHL ready.

I'd be all for it, I don't think Ericsson can play against the faster competition.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No state taxes, but to me Duchene left some money on the table on that one. I think with the cap where it is now, he could have beaten that price range. Good signing for the Preds, I wish Turris didn't have so much term left on his deal....

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The rumored deal Florida is throwing at Bobrovsky is insane. Really don't think it's a great move for them.

CBJ throwing Monopoly money at Panarin is also kinda funny.

Proven 20/21 year old dmen usually aren't on the trade market, so good luck with that. And if they are, you probably have gut your team to get one.

It wouldn't be for a "proven" D (as proven as a 20 year old can be, anyway). And I acknowledged it wouldn't be easy with the idea that it would be the ideal situation. The Wings would have to get a bit lucky looking for a team needing some help up front with a young D used to pry that help out in a trade.

At the same time, every year that passes, the ideal age to slot someone in with Larkin, Zadina, Rasmussen, etc. goes up.

I don't think this team is in any position to start dealing young, cost-controlled 30 goal scorers for more help on defense. They are thin pretty much everywhere. They were 21st in goal-scoring last season.

The days of Athanasiou (and Mantha) being cost controlled are quickly coming to an end. And if the Wings can bring in a fix at a bigger area of need, I don't see how it's a trade that can't be made. Both of those guys turn 25 in the next few months and need to be re-signed. Moving one or both out for pieces that are ~4 years younger wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Leafs are eventually going to need to play defense to win in the playoffs. They are a bottom ten D-core in terms of their own zone now. Boston and Tampa will take advantage, sure they will be fun to watch. But honestly I see that as a deeply flawed roster build they have there now, especially with how the game changes come post-season time.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
At first I thought Toronto got away with murder but with Barrie 1 year away from UFA compared to Kadri's team friendly deal... not sure what to think.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
At first I thought Toronto got away with murder but with Barrie 1 year away from UFA compared to Kadri's team friendly deal... not sure what to think.
It means Toronto "wins" the trade for this coming season.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
So now that the free agency has almost come to a close and most teams are set. Which teams do you guys see as being equally bad or worse than the Wings this coming season?

Ottawa is a given to finish below atleast.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So now that the free agency has almost come to a close and most teams are set. Which teams do you guys see as being equally bad or worse than the Wings this coming season?

Ottawa
Anaheim
LA
Buffalo

That's the grouping I think we're in. Though I think we're better than those teams besides Buffalo probably.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Kopitar bounces back next year and the Kings push for a wild card spot(although probably don't quite get there)

he's 31 and only a year removed from a 92 point Selke season

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Anaheim
LA
Buffalo

That's the grouping I think we're in. Though I think we're better than those teams besides Buffalo probably.

Wouldn't put Anaheim in the same tier as us, feels like their better from top to bottom especially with Gibson and a coaching change. I'd add Wild to the mix, but knowing the wild they'll probably be a bubble team again given how they're allergic to tanking.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I'd say we're lined up to be the second worst team team in the league. Ottawa is just straight up terrible with no hope. They're the worst.

Then there's Anaheim, but Gibson is such a good goalie, and Lindholm is great so I see them as better.

Buffalo is also bad, but with Dahlin getting a year older, Eichel and the rest of their young core I see them as better with the potential to climb out of the basement entirely.

LA has Kopitar and Doughty but they're awful besides them. I give them the slight edge on us but it's slight.

Minnesota seems like they should have been at the bottom for a minute here but they always overperform.

Vancouver is trying to improve, but I don't love their moves so I could see them at the bottom again.

I thought Arizona would be better this year but they always find a way to disppoint so I don't know what to think.

My guess
31 Ottawa, 30 Detroit, 29 LA, 28 Anaheim, 27 Vancouver, 26 Buffalo, 25 Minnesota, 24 Arizona

Reactions: mantha39

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I still want to see how Toronto makes this work financially. They added two more RFAs (Ceci and Kerfoot) and they already had Marner. Part or me wonders if they're going to hold one of those guys (or both) hostage until after they sign Marner.

Bandito

Jun 21, 2019
I still want to see how Toronto makes this work financially. They added two more RFAs (Ceci and Kerfoot) and they already had Marner. Part or me wonders if they're going to hold one of those guys (or both) hostage until after they sign Marner.
I think they'll play hardball with Marner , daring him to sign an offer sheet and either walk away with 4 firsts or get a contract they can stomach. Otherwise they'll circle back to something like that 2 x $8M offer that was speculated if it drags on until closer to training camp.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Ottawa is the no-brainer for worst team, but strange things happen over the course of an entire season. If I had to guess, I'd say Edmonton and NJ will be down with us again. The Rangers could be there as well. If Buffalo is terrible again after next season, may the hockey gods have mercy on their collective souls. The whole Metro looks very shaky, apart from the Caps. Any of those teams could end up imploding in spectacular fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad