Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm so tired of hearing about Taylor Hall. He's easily one of, if not the most, overrated player of this past decade.

One elite season, one great season, 8 good/ok seasons. Only one above 30 goals.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm so tired of hearing about Taylor Hall. He's easily one of, if not the most, overrated player of this past decade.

One elite season, one great season, 8 good/ok seasons. Only one above 30 goals.

so which of the 3 seasons where he finished top 10 in the league in points while leading his team by a wide margin was only "good/ok"?

Reactions: Konnan511

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I wonder if we could somehow get Trocheck.

Saw a thread on the trade forum and it got me thinking about how awesome of a fit he’d be. Definitely a pipe dream tho.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wonder if we could somehow get Trocheck.

Saw a thread on the trade forum and it got me thinking about how awesome of a fit he’d be. Definitely a pipe dream tho.

Panthers are competing now and have him locked up during his prime years to a very reasonable contract. Not entirely sure I see the incentive for them. He's a great player though, no doubt.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Eric Staal this year.
13-17-30

UFAs after 15-16
Comp Eric Staal vs Frans Nielsen
Paid so far $13.75M vs $21M
Leftover 1Y/$3,25 vs 2x$10.5
Goals 105 vs 43
Assists 118 vs 68
Points 223 vs 111

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Staal really only had eyes for Minnesota. He made that very clear in his visit and interview with the local papers in the Twin Cities. I remember before he signed that Staal was already on record talking about how much he loved the organization and the area, thus it was a foregone conclusion.

So what I'm saying is, yeah Nielsen has sucked, but Staal wasn't really an option. It does really highlight how rough a signing that was, though. And how Holland somehow didn't make Detroit appealing.

Reactions: 14ari13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Staal really only had eyes for Minnesota. He made that very clear in his visit and interview with the local papers in the Twin Cities. I remember before he signed that Staal was already on record talking about how much he loved the organization and the area, thus it was a foregone conclusion.

So what I'm saying is, yeah Nielsen has sucked, but Staal wasn't really an option. It does really highlight how rough a signing that was, though. And how Holland somehow didn't make Detroit appealing.

Welcome to Detroit, baby!

lafayette.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Welcome to Detroit, baby!

Do better, Ken!

Seriously though, the Twin Cities have had their issues but first impressions of arriving where the Wild play vs. Wings... goodness. I know the players, especially those on Staal's level, all live in beautiful homes in the suburbs but all thing equal, it's not hard to see the city working against the team.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I read it was about the fit, not about the players/city.
I don't see why Detroit couldn't offer the same kind of role.

But even if we couldn't land Staal. We certainly didn't need to overpay/term Nielsen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I read it was about the fit, not about the players/city.
I don't see why Detroit couldn't offer the same kind of role.

But even if we couldn't land Staal. We certainly didn't need to overpay/term Nielsen.

It's not a bad deal if Nielsen keeps up the play he had the first season here. While everyone expects play to dip a bit with age, I don't think anyone expected Nielsen to just fall of the table the way he has.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's not a bad deal if Nielsen keeps up the play he had the first season here. While everyone expects play to dip a bit with age, I don't think anyone expected Nielsen to just fall of the table the way he has.

I think part of Nielsen's decline is the role he's been asked to play.
Over the last two seasons, he's become a defensive center while Blashill reinvents Glendening as a top 9 or top 6 winger for some f***ing reason.
But even in Nielsen's first year, I don't think he gave us $5M worth of hockey.

And I know that a lot of people take the "Blash has nothing to work with angle."
But his inability to come up with lines and stick with lines is absolutely killing guys.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

while that's certainly true on some level it's also an argument against signing 32 year olds to 6 year contracts in the first place

it may be unexpected that he's fallen off this suddenly but it's certainly not shocking at his age

like yeah maybe you risk it anyways for a star but Nielsen was never that

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think part of Nielsen's decline is the role he's been asked to play.
Over the last two seasons, he's become a defensive center while Blashill reinvents Glendening as a top 9 or top 6 winger for some ****ing reason.
But even in Nielsen's first year, I don't think he gave us $5M worth of hockey.

And I know that a lot of people take the "Blash has nothing to work with angle."
But his inability to come up with lines and stick with lines is absolutely killing guys.

2 points in 32 games isn't something I'd hang on Blashill. I think Nielsen has been exposed a bit out of necessity in Detroit, but there is something about his play that is just off this year. He just doesn't look right out there. But if he's not going to produce, I'm not sure what else to do with him but play him as a defensive center.

I'm not saying I think Nielsen ever fully deserved the contract he got, but this season also isn't how he's played the past few years. this isn't like Holland giving Gator a retirement deal.

Agreed. I never understood the Nielsen contract.

Look at our center situation that summer. Datsyuk left, Z looked like he may not play center again after hitting the wall the previous season coming back from surgery, Helm couldn't (still can't) hold up to the rigors of the position over the course of a season, and Larkin still hadn't played the position for any length of time after riding shotgun on Z's wing. The only center we could really count on was Glendening. The Wings needed a center, and one that could potentially play a lot of minutes.

while that's certainly true on some level it's also an argument against signing 32 year olds to 6 year contracts in the first place

it may be unexpected that he's fallen off this suddenly but it's certainly not shocking at his age

like yeah maybe you risk it anyways for a star but Nielsen was never that

I don't disagree on the idea of not signing guys his age to that contract. At the same time, he has a long history of being productive, and in the three previous seasons with us he went from seasons of 41, 33, and 35 points. This year I think he's pacing for like 6 points. If Nielsen is relatively healthy and this is just his new norm, that's not a normal drop off

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
randomly turned on the Devils game in overtime and one of their players shot it into their own net

some next level tanking right there

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
randomly turned on the Devils game in overtime and one of their players shot it into their own net

some next level tanking right there
At least they got a point!

Jack Hughes is in over his head at this level. Shouldn't even be in the NHL right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't condone rooting for a player to get hurt generally, but I will say i don't give a f*** that Muzzin broke his foot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What happened to Oilers and Sabres?

I'm sure there's a ton of reasons, but the obvious answer is both lack good bluelines to keep goals out with any consistency. Buffalo is in better shape with Dahlin, but the kid is 19. It's going to take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad