Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Excited to see what the rink setup looks like in action during these exhibitions today even though it will be a bit limited. NHL.com has a pretty interesting article about the setup today. I think covering the seats and having big screens on the sides should hopefully make it feel less weird without the fans. Enhanced lighting and additional camera angles should hopefully make the production better than usual too. Hopefully NBC will restrict using the new camera angles to replays and highlights though instead of getting too weird with it during play.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Excited to see what the rink setup looks like in action during these exhibitions today even though it will be a bit limited. NHL.com has a pretty interesting article about the setup today. I think covering the seats and having big screens on the sides should hopefully make it feel less weird without the fans. Enhanced lighting and additional camera angles should hopefully make the production better than usual too. Hopefully NBC will restrict using the new camera angles to replays and highlights though instead of getting too weird with it during play.
I'm glad you added that last part about extra camera for replay only. It is increasingly frustrating watching games on TV with the constant switching between cameras and isolation shots on players. You lose all of the most important things happening on the ice (everything away from the puck) with this overproduction by people that obviously know nothing about hockey.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Watched all three games and they were Mehhh. Not playoff ready by a long shot. The first two rounds are going to be miserable to watch unless something changes. Goaltending was particularly suspect. Both Murry and Carter Hart looked lost. Carey Price gives up two on 14 shots Flames tenders just did nothing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it's entirely fair and expected for these exhibition games to be a little slower. Nobody wants to become "unfit to play" after just 1 meaningless warmup game. So the teams are soft-touching it a little bit. The Calgary-Edmonton game had a little more to it at times. But I think anybody looking for playoff intensity or even perfect mid-season timing in this first game back after such a long layoff is just asking for disappointment. There's no way that's possible. They'll switch to another gear on Saturday. Timing may still be a little off, but the intensity will shoot up.

Plus I think you're also going to see a general continuation of the trend in hockey for players to be a little more civil towards eachother and value their overall solidarity more. They're more like entertainers who are paid to act like they're on one side or another at various times for various shows now, but the kind of true bad blood that might have existed in the past is probably going to become increasingly rare moving forward. Nowadays, they are aware that they're "all on the same team" to a greater extent than ever before.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Watched all three games and they were Mehhh. Not playoff ready by a long shot. The first two rounds are going to be miserable to watch unless something changes. Goaltending was particularly suspect. Both Murry and Carter Hart looked lost. Carey Price gives up two on 14 shots Flames tenders just did nothing.

It was the equivalent of the first pre-season game in a normal season. Should anyone have expected anything different? Not to mention, everyone knows there is a "real" and important game coming up in just 3 days. (Not 2-3 weeks later if this was a normal season).

So no way are you going to see anything close to a real, meaningful effort in these exhibitions this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I'm so glad COVID didnt ruin your sunny disposition

:D

Reactions: Viqsi

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It was the equivalent of the first pre-season game in a normal season. Should anyone have expected anything different? Not to mention, everyone knows there is a "real" and important game coming up in just 3 days. (Not 2-3 weeks later if this was a normal season).

So no way are you going to see anything close to a real, meaningful effort in these exhibitions this week.
I get where your coming from but this is not a normal preseason game it is one game before they count in a much bigger stage than the start of a regular season. So far todays games gave been a little better The Caps Canes game was a entertaining game where the tenders did a good job other than Mrazek who got OV'ed a couple times. The Blues were embarrassed Both Allen and Binnington were bad. They had just 21 SOG and few very dangerous. The Wild had jump but Duby let them down while the Aves looked just average not a very entertaining game for me. Now I should be excited about the Lightning who played well and my guy had two goals and an asst BUT Bobrovsky looked like total garbage for the Panthers so it is only slightly comforting, but without Hedman and Stamkos They still scored 5 so its on to the round robin.

I know its a exhibition game and they count for nothing but none of them showed PO intensity And the games that do count are next for each team to move on or seeding in the Lightning case just as you said real important games in two days time now. Each team shows rust particularly the goaltending is crucial in these first series lose the 1st game and chances are you are not moving on. I am lookinmg forward to tomorrows games hoping Dallas and Boston come out flat and for Sullys sake I want to see the Yotes do well. I hope the Preds can come out on fire and bury Dallas probably not going to happen but one can hope. It will probable be a 4-3 or 3-2 game.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I disagree, the team in front of him is hanging him out to dry. 12 mins in the 2nd Lundqvist has .904%
When I posted that it was in the first and he looked rough. He was all over the place and doing good to keep it together. He got better as the game went on but the first 10 minutes I was seriously worried.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Did anyone see the “interesting” pre game ceremony with Matt Dumba? That display was not done before the Canes/Rangers game. And the anthem singer sang both anthems before that game.

In other news, Edmonton still has no defense.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
When I posted that it was in the first and he looked rough. He was all over the place and doing good to keep it together. He got better as the game went on but the first 10 minutes I was seriously worried.

To be honest, all goalies look like crap in the first 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad