Around the NHL: 2019-20 Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
'no yelling at the refs, just submit to your overlords without a fight'

The code of conduct is going to go over really swell.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I enjoy the leafs struggling as much as the next guy, but I think a lot of the criticism of Matthews is unfair. Reminds me of the exact criticism eichel randomly gets and I always disagree with.

Guy is slumping and the team is playing poorly....and he still gonna get 40 goals and be ppg. The leafs have serious issues, including how their team is constructed, but their individual superstars aren’t the problem.

Reactions: Zman5778

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I enjoy the leafs struggling as much as the next guy, but I think a lot of the criticism of Matthews is unfair. Reminds me of the exact criticism eichel randomly gets and I always disagree with.

Guy is slumping and the team is playing poorly....and he still gonna get 40 goals and be ppg. The leafs have serious issues, including how their team is constructed, but their individual superstars aren’t the problem.

what bothers me about Matthews, is that there doesn't seem to be that jump that you would expect from a player like Matthews, especially after playing in a professional league prior to being drafted. Don't get me wrong, he's a really really good player, but the lack of a jump in his overall game, compared to other players like we have seen in McDavid, Draisaitl, and Eichel, is kind of worrisome as a hockey fan.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
what bothers me about Matthews, is that there doesn't seem to be that jump that you would expect from a player like Matthews, especially after playing in a professional league prior to being drafted. Don't get me wrong, he's a really really good player, but the lack of a jump in his overall game, compared to other players like we have seen in McDavid, Draisaitl, and Eichel, is kind of worrisome as a hockey fan.

He's also younger than all three of them. Both he and Jack will have seasons they out perform the other.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I hate the Leafs just as much as the next Sabres fan -- but you're spot on here. Matthews is getting rather unfairly trucked by a lot of Leaf fans. Matthews might be a microcosm of their overall issues......but by and large, he's not THE issue with the Leafs.

The Leafs' major issue is and has been defensive performance. They're made to get a ton of points in the regular season and completely fold in the playoffs.

It's part of the reason why I still don't want to trade Risto......I can picture Risto (and to a lesser degree McCabe) being an absolute monster in the playoffs once physical play gets ratcheted up.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's part of the reason why I still don't want to trade Risto......I can picture Risto (and to a lesser degree McCabe) being an absolute monster in the playoffs once physical play gets ratcheted up.
But we need to get into the playoffs first and maybe Risto and McCabe are also part of the problem of why we can't get into the playoffs. Vicious circle.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Dirty Dog

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He's also younger than all three of them. Both he and Jack will have seasons they out perform the other.

Well aware on this, but there's just been a jump in the play IMO. Watching Auston is just feels like there's no difference in his play on the ice today than when he first came into the league. With the others, you could see huge jumps in their play. It's not just Auston that has this issue. Laine also has this problem. There's just not a jump in their play you would expect from them.

He's still a damn good player, and it's not to take away from his current play, just thought I would see more improvement in his play.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I have noticed a lot of leafs fans having that exact same concern. I’m a homer, but I never watched him and thought he is scratching the surface of his skill set, like I got with eichel. His ceiling might not be higher than what he is (which is a dynamic franchise player though)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't see any slewfoot there. It's a clean body hit, maybe with a modest amount of incidental contact between the players' legs. Unfortunate result, but I don't think Zadorov did anything dirty there.

It wasn't the most egregious Darcy Tucker level slew foot, but watch the legs closely, Zads right leg sweeps in behind and is well above the ice when he makes contact.

Trust me, that hit on the upper body doesn't cause someone to go upside down. It's a professional scum move. I wish we had some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad