Around the NHL: 2019-20 Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
And there were 4 or 5 other defensemen in the league just as good as him. That's the point. The Sabres posters who have gone into the prospect threads of those other players to let their fans know they would be nowhere as good as Dahlin looked foolish now and they look foolish today. Almost all of the top players in the league outside of a healthy McDavid are fairly clumped up. There's very little difference between them on any given night. Anybody who thought Dahlin was or is going to be on an island of greatness all alone is foolish. He's going to share it with a few other defensemen.

He's 19. Every other young D people are comparing him to is older, some by 2 or 3 years, and D is a very tough position to succeed in at a young age. Dahlin is hands-down the most talented of the bunch. He didn't just luck into being the youngest defenseman to score 40+ points since the early 80s. He's going to be an absolutely phenomenal player in due time.

Reactions: sabremike

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Aaaaaand Buffalo officially falls out of wild card position.

That was fast. I thought I was being realistic when I thought that might happen by the end of the month.

Do they have the balls to fight a little now? Hasn't been a very resilient group in years.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Aaaaaand Buffalo officially falls out of wild card position.

That was fast. I thought I was being realistic when I thought that might happen by the end of the month.

Do they have the balls to fight a little now? Hasn't been a very resilient group in years.

Shoot, we could be looking at 21st place(currently 18th now) in the league by the time our next game comes along. We are free falling pretty quickly, once again after being in 1st place in the league for a hiccup of time (10/28 was when we were in 1st place last). 2 weeks later...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Shoot, we could be looking at 21st place(currently 18th now) in the league by the time our next game comes along. We are free falling pretty quickly, once again after being in 1st place in the league for a hiccup of time (10/28 was when we were in 1st place last). 2 weeks later...
The way that the NHL standings work, a team that isn't playing is always in free fall. If we go by points per game instead of total points, Buffalo actually jumped back into a wild card spot yesterday, after falling out of one on Saturday.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sad day to see Don Cherry gone. I probably disagreed with him more than I agreed with him but that was what made him great. He challenged the status quo and was the status quo all at the same time. Wrong or right on issues he stood up for his beliefs and opinions. His firing is a sign of a weak organization (Sportsnet) and a weak society.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sad day to see Don Cherry gone. I probably disagreed with him more than I agreed with him but that was what made him great. He challenged the status quo and was the status quo all at the same time. Wrong or right on issues he stood up for his beliefs and opinions. His firing is a sign of a weak organization (Sportsnet) and a weak society.

He should’ve been replaced a long time ago, glad sportsnet finally decided to move on from the annoying blowhard.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I mean, when people have Xenophobic or otherwise awful views, why is it on a major sports network to give him a weekly platform.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I mean, when people have Xenophobic or otherwise awful views, why is it on a major sports network to give him a weekly platform.

Who the hell cares? ... Are we really offended because he thinks Russians are lazy soft hockey players? Big deal.

Reactions: Punished ROR

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

They gave him an opportunity to apologize for his comments to which he refused to apologize for. They understood Don represented their company by giving him a platform to talk on. HIS views and opinions were to become THEIR views and opinions. Because he focused on immigrants, and a lot of the immigrants are located in the large cities, having someone on the air, airing grievances to a large portion of your audience, that targets them, would not be a good look for future business and relationships. It was a smart business decision to fire Don and salvage the consumer relationship, than to keep providing him a platform, and risk future relationships. It's not a sign of weak organization, it's a sign of a wise organization knowing when to cut ties and save face, even if Don had maybe 1 or 2 years left.

HNIC fans will get over it after a couple weeks or months. They'll find another Canadian Icon to fill the spot to provide Mike Milbury level commentary.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
They gave him an opportunity to apologize for his comments to which he refused to apologize for. They understood Don represented their company by giving him a platform to talk on. HIS views and opinions were to become THEIR views and opinions. Because they focused on immigrants, and a lot of the immigrants are located in the large cities, having someone on the air, airing grievances on a large portion of your audience would not be a good look for future business and relationships. It was a smart business decision to fire Don and salvage the consumer relationship, than to keep providing him a platform, and risk future relationships. It's not a sign of weak organization, it's a sign of a wise organization knowing when to cut ties and save face, even if Don had maybe 1 or 2 years left.

HNIC fans will get over it after a couple weeks or months. They'll find another Canadian Icon to fill the spot to provide Mike Milbury level commentary.

I disagree. Ask ESPN how their wokeness has been for business.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Who the hell cares? ... Are we really offended because he thinks Russians are lazy soft hockey players? Big deal.

Giving a racist asshole a weekly platform to speak to the nation ain't great.. I'm not particularly offended by anything that spews outta his mouth because I'm a cis white male, but in no way do I think we should just accept casual racism as the norm or entertainment. I watch South Park, Eric Andre, Impractical Jokers- they all toe lines in different ways, but they aren't out and out racist. Cherry is at times, so f*** him, it's a weak society that accepts that sorta thing as acceptable or normal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
straight white male, sorry, dialed the millenial lingo to 11. I guess cis just means a male that identifies as male, female as female, and that's not really the point- point is I'm not personally offended/affected, but that's also why I don't think we need a white guy who regularly insults minority parts of the population.

I didn't hear him insult minorities in terms of race color or creed.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I disagree. Ask ESPN how their wokeness has been for business.

So when did someone from ESPN focus on talking about a portion of the viewer base and criticize?

Whats a cis white male?

Cissexual is opposite definition of a Transgender. A Cis Male is a person that identifies as a male that was born a male.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I didn't hear him insult minorities in terms of race color or creed.

Of course not, that'd be too obvious, but when you use the "you people come to our country" and then make sweeping generalizations about their behavior.. that ain't good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Of course not, that'd be too obvious, but when you use the "you people come to our country" and then make sweeping generalizations about their behavior.. that ain't good.

Eh, just like straight (90% of population) is used to explain "not gay" (gay=10% or thereabouts), cis is used to describe, like, the 98% of us. It has it's uses, but obviously my liberal ass still doesn't have the definition down exactly, so it's not like its come into common use. Still, just as a definition to explain that "not everyone is this way"- ya, it's useful.

Immigrants come from all over the world... Europe, US, Aus, NZ ... not all immigrants are of color.

Immigrants are not free from being called out on something (Rightly or wrongly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad