Around the NHL: 2019-20 Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Don was just a character to me more than anything. I can't believe people took him seriously but scrutinizing the sacred cow was never going to fly.
This is it. How anyone took anything he said seriously is beyond me. He is just some caricature of the old tyme hockey guy. For amusment only. I personally did't find it entertaining but whatever.

And the bigger issue is silencing people which is never a great idea. Let the idiots say what they want and then you know they're idiots.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The idea Don never said anything of value or substance amuses the heck out of me because just recently he made just about the smartest most common sense suggestion I've heard in years: place the team benches on opposite sides of the rink. That does two things: First is to prevent incidents from happening. The second is so that one team is no longer given an advantageous position for 2 of 3 periods.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
This is it. How anyone took anything he said seriously is beyond me. He is just some caricature of the old tyme hockey guy. For amusment only. I personally did't find it entertaining but whatever.

And the bigger issue is silencing people which is never a great idea. Let the idiots say what they want and then you know they're idiots.
But he was on a medium that was intended to be taken seriously. This s a bad excuse.

See PFTCommenter for how to do a good character. Don Cherry was not a good character. He just generally sucked.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Sad day to see Don Cherry gone. I probably disagreed with him more than I agreed with him but that was what made him great. He challenged the status quo and was the status quo all at the same time. Wrong or right on issues he stood up for his beliefs and opinions. His firing is a sign of a weak organization (Sportsnet) and a weak society.
Which is what people are doing by criticizing what he said. That includes Sportsnet for firing him.

"he stood up for his beliefs!" is lazy.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
But he was on a medium that was intended to be taken seriously. This s a bad excuse.

See PFTCommenter for how to do a good character. Don Cherry was not a good character. He just generally sucked.
It's not an excuse. It's not in defense of him either. I didn't watch it. It wasn't interesting to me. I don't like his opinions. If you don't like him, don't watch him. He was probably still on because he probably still had good ratings. Thats what's tv is about. There's idiots all over "news" television all day saying controversial moronic stuff. That's supposed to be taken seriously. Not a clown wearing his silly suits looking like a clown in hockey intermission "entertainment" show. People getting upset over the stupid stuff he says, says as much about them as it does about him.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Anyone who read any of his books would know he was essentially playing an exaggerated and over the top version of himself. The story on him in the Bob Mackenzie book is an excellent glimpse of him not in character.

Same with the poppy segment. That’s the normal version of Cherry.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
The idea Don never said anything of value or substance amuses the heck out of me because just recently he made just about the smartest most common sense suggestion I've heard in years: place the team benches on opposite sides of the rink. That does two things: First is to prevent incidents from happening. The second is so that one team is no longer given an advantageous position for 2 of 3 periods.

No team has an advantage over the other in the current alignment. In the second period both benches are in the attacking half on the rink rather than the defensive half. The conditions are equivalent for both teams throughout the game.

Moving benches so they are centered, across the ice from each other, avoids conflict between players a the benches yes. It also eliminates the long change.
However, when teams change at the same time, it will create a problem defensively as the team with possession could quickly move up the use with little resistance as the opponents will be rushing through a change on the opposite side of the ice. Not saying that's bad or good, just a consequence.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Is it me, or is everyone running the same PP? Watching Winnepeg sending the cross ace pass to the one timer. Same formation as BUF and TOR. I saw BOS running this the other day too. Copycat league.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's great to see players with speed like McDavid and MacKinnon that actually use their speed to take the puck towards the net and attack it rather than just use it to enter the zone and take the puck to the outside.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is it me, or is everyone running the same PP? Watching Winnepeg sending the cross ace pass to the one timer. Same formation as BUF and TOR. I saw BOS running this the other day too. Copycat league.

There are a few variations to the 1-3-1 setup on the PP.

But, Washington and TB have been running it for a while with Ovy and Stamkos ripping one timers from that left dot.

When the Sabres PP is humming it's when they have threats on each dot in Eichel and VO and they can take advantage of the fact that it is tough to cover both guys.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

What a way to get your first NHL action.

40 saves. I shut the game off early and missed Werner coming in. Love watching this type of stuff. Doesn't say anything about whether he's an NHL goalie or whether he's ready to be an NHL goalie, but props to the kid coming in and doing this.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

There are a few variations to the 1-3-1 setup on the PP.

But, Washington and TB have been running it for a while with Ovy and Stamkos ripping one timers from that left dot.

When the Sabres PP is humming it's when they have threats on each dot in Eichel and VO and they can take advantage of the fact that it is tough to cover both guys.

Didn't Buffalo use a setup like this with Turgeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad