Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'm still bitter about this lottery. Part of me hopes this "playoff" bs doesnt happen so they have to redo the lottery. Maybe pretty petty of me, but NHL went full Mickey Mouse when they pulled that garbage.
They aren't redoing the lottery if the return to play plan isn't successful. They'll just take the teams that "wouldn't have" made the playoffs based on record at the time of the pause and enter them in phase 2 of the lottery.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
They aren't redoing the lottery if the return to play plan isn't successful. They'll just take the teams that "wouldn't have" made the playoffs based on record at the time of the pause and enter them in phase 2 of the lottery.

Makes sense. I'm just salty. Over the lottery, over the play in with unequal games played, etc. Not that these bums deserve it, but it would have given us something exciting to watch for a change with a rooting interest. Montreal getting in... grrrrr.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Makes sense. I'm just salty. Over the lottery, over the play in with unequal games played, etc. Not that these bums deserve it, but it would have given us something exciting to watch for a change with a rooting interest. Montreal getting in... grrrrr.

Getting into a playoff tournament you don't deserve to be in isn't exciting hockey. No fans in the stadium would make it even worse. It's not going to feel like a playoff atmosphere, so it would simply be a few more games of boring, terribly played hockey.

Member 308457

From Kukla's Corner:

There’s more to Chris Pronger leaving the Florida Panthers than has been spoken about. Pronger wanted to be the next general manager and should have been the man to replace Dale Tallon. Word around is that the assistant GM, Eric Joyce, will soon to be elevated to the top job. His background isn’t hockey, it’s national security. The Panthers continually keep trying to be smarter than everyone else in hockey and somehow fail every time they get cute.

Sounds familiar, huh?

Next thing you know, the Sabres will be drafting non-hockey players in the amateur drafts because "we're smarter than everyone else in hockey."

Reactions: sabremike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
From Kukla's Corner:

There’s more to Chris Pronger leaving the Florida Panthers than has been spoken about. Pronger wanted to be the next general manager and should have been the man to replace Dale Tallon. Word around is that the assistant GM, Eric Joyce, will soon to be elevated to the top job. His background isn’t hockey, it’s national security. The Panthers continually keep trying to be smarter than everyone else in hockey and somehow fail every time they get cute.

Sounds familiar, huh?

Next thing you know, the Sabres will be drafting non-hockey players in the amateur drafts because "we're smarter than everyone else in hockey."

Joyce has been an assistant GM since 2013 and an AHL GM for the same amount of time. Slightly different.

I don’t know Eric, but I know plenty of people who do. They describe him as the smartest person they ever met.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
From Kukla's Corner:

Sounds familiar, huh?

There's such a bad-faith reading of the Panthers' five minute foray into analytics baked into hockey media. They were an obvious regression candidate the year they kicked Tallon further upstairs, Gallant has since lost another job over expanded role demands, and the respected hockey man punted the expansion draft after they kowtowed to the voice of public opinion.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Joyce has been an assistant GM since 2013 and an AHL GM for the same amount of time. Slightly different.

I don’t know Eric, but I know plenty of people who do. They describe him as the smartest person they ever met.

Sounds a lot like Botterill’s “hype” to me.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Getting into a playoff tournament you don't deserve to be in isn't exciting hockey. No fans in the stadium would make it even worse. It's not going to feel like a playoff atmosphere, so it would simply be a few more games of boring, terribly played hockey.

I guess. But its basically like a new season. For some reason these jokers on the Sabres play pretty darn well in the first few months of a season for some reason. It's better than watching literally nothing (which I have been doing for 4 months plus now).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Possibly. Again, I don’t know him personally, but he’s a former Army Ranger who’s got 7 years experience as an AGM. I’d give him more leeway than Botterill.

Botterill also came from the game of hockey, was a scout and spent 10 seasons as an AGM 7 of which was as GM of their AHL team 2009-2016.

Not sure what you mean by “leeway”. Also Not sure what experiences being an Army Ranger give you that can’t be taught/experienced being a hockey executive that is implemented in the job.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You go ham after him

Flat cap exacerbates Canucks' already difficult budgeting problem - Sportsnet.ca

The NHL’s financial landscape makes it almost impossible for the Canucks to offload contracts like Eriksson’s or Brandon Sutter’s ($4.375 million), although Benning may find a taker for depth defenceman Jordie Benn ($2 million).

Most of the realistic options to ease the cap crisis are difficult ones: choosing Markstrom or Toffoli, allowing veteran warrior Tanev to walk, making Stecher a UFA by not qualifying him at $2.35 million, or trading the 23-year-old Virtanen rather than nearly tripling his expiring salary of $1.25 million. The nuclear option would be to trade Brock Boeser and his $5.875-million salary, although thank goodness talk radio doesn’t possess the launch codes.

:popcorn:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Botterill also came from the game of hockey, was a scout and spent 10 seasons as an AGM 7 of which was as GM of their AHL team 2009-2016.

Not sure what you mean by “leeway”. Also Not sure what experiences being an Army Ranger give you that can’t be taught/experienced being a hockey executive that is implemented in the job.

Leadership. Followship. No excuses. When your job is to lead other people on the toughest missions our nation offers, and you never get to lose, it tends to build a different type of leader.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Leadership. Followship. No excuses. When your job is to lead other people on the toughest missions our nation offers, and you never get to lose, it tends to build a different type of leader.

But none of those traits mean it's a guarantee that what you are doing as a hockey executive is advantageous to making your team competitive. You need to showcase your hockey knowledge, and the quality of that knowledge is what matters at the end of the day.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
But none of those traits mean it's a guarantee that what you are doing as a hockey executive is advantageous to making your team competitive. You need to showcase your hockey knowledge, and the quality of that knowledge is what matters at the end of the day.

True. But I have zero doubts that Joyce knows a lot more how to lead an organization, in general.

Military leaders regularly are put into situations where they are not the experts and are still expected to get results. You surround yourself with experts, lead them, and make sound decisions. So even if he wasn't an AGM for the past 7 years, he still knows how to lead.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
True. But I have zero doubts that Joyce knows a lot more how to lead an organization, in general.

Military leaders regularly are put into situations where they are not the experts and are still expected to get results. You surround yourself with experts, lead them, and make sound decisions. So even if he wasn't an AGM for the past 7 years, he still knows how to lead.

And that's fine, but even though there might be a different quality of leadership, that's still something you can learn as being an executive. But it still hinges on one's hockey knowledge to be able to lead the team to competitive standards with wise decisions. Just being a leader isn't going to give you the answer of a wise decision. You need to know WHICH option/choice is the correct one.

But my point from the beginning, is that there were favorable characteristics that followed Botterill where he went as well. It wasn't until he put tire to the pavement, that we found out that he made poor decision after poor decision. This is a guy that had the background executives should have. He was heavily touted as a favorite to be something special as the next up and coming executive, and then, nothing...

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland
Had a dream about the draft lottery and I want to share the dream with you guys. So the lottery is held for all teams out of the playoffs. It's held with whatever odds they have (maybe change it so that the worst team actually gets a good player).

The idea: If a team "wins" a position in the lottery, say jumps from 6th to 2nd, thereby gaining 4 positions, they have the option to stay at the position they were at drafting 6th OR they could give away 4 2nd round draft picks the following years. They could also have the option to change all but one of the 2nd round picks to lower picks but the amount of picks increases. So instead of giving away 4 2nd round picks (2020 2021 2022 2023), you have to give for example; at least one 2nd round pick(2020), two 3rd round picks(2020,2021), three 4th round picks(2020,2021,2022), four 5th round picks(2020,2021,2022,2023). The team that "loses" the lottery swaps positions with the team that won in the lottery. If you jump up more that 7 positions the cost to move up is doubled.

This way the "loser" of the lottery still gets a decent prospect at 6 overall and a flurry of later round picks if the team that "won" chooses to jump up.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If they insist of having the lottery it could be a bit more fair to the bottom team. just a thought.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I work with a couple former army rangers; both were re-ups and left as Captains. In a word, They are indefatigable, and without being a hardass toward their colleagues. They've taken on overseas (corporate not military) assignments with timelines and resource issues which would demoralize 95% of us. One guy in one calendar year went through an animous-filled divorce, had his dozen-year-old dog die, and battled & beat non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He called it his country music year. Dude never lost his cheer, and never complained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad