Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
They should suspend Cernak like they did with Wilson to give him a wake up call... 20 games plus

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Man, Columbus has been humming along, too. I wonder if they're peaking too early and will come back down in the playoffs. That injury puts him right around the start of the playoffs for a return. I could totally see them picking up some schlub for 8-10 weeks and leaving them off of the playoff roster.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A cap dump and late-1st for Kase. Since his rough day at the 2015 Draft, Sweeney has been pretty damn good. And we have Botterill.

EDIT: And Axel Andersson. A little more reasonable from Anaheim's perspective. Like the trade for Boston, though.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That's a disgustingly good deal by Boston. Why do them of all teams have to be the most competent org in the league?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How did we get stuck with two consecutive absolutely trash GMs?

No one qualified to make a hockey decision has made one for this organization in a very very long time.

It's super great that hiring a President of Hockey Ops has already been ruled out. Not that the Pegulas would have hired a good one anyway.

They need help DESPERATELY. And are too dumb to know it.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How did we get stuck with two consecutive absolutely trash GMs?

Hire clowns, expect a circus.

Seriously - them hiring LaFontaine over a dinner should have been a clue. Not that I am in favor of Pat at all, he had no experience running a team or hiring a GM and he found/hired Murray. That lead them to taking the old boys' network advice on hiring Botterill. And so we went from a hobbled old timer who couldn't overcome his own shortcomings in drafting/development in Regier to a noob who wanted to be the 2011/12 Kings to a noob who wants to create the Penguins but without Sid and/or Geno.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

For all the people wrapped up in trying to create Okposo off the team... that's a first, a good prospect, and 25% retention for another year only to get an injury prone but good winger.

Yet I still think Boston gets off lightly.

They shouldn't really be in a position to get a guy like Kase back even with the retention imo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yet I still think Boston gets off lightly.

They shouldn't really be in a position to get a guy like Kase back even with the retention imo.

Kase is a possession guy who is RFA after next year and would immediately have been the Sabres 2nd best RW behind Reinhart. I get that Backes with retention for a first, but the rest of the deal seems like something we would have wanted/needed in Buffalo. If Kase medically is good enough for the Bruins, he certainly would be good enough for Buffalo.

Botterill has painted himself into an interesting corner. He can't take the sort of high-risk gambles that could actually be serious value adds (like Kase returning to previous pre-injury form) without the stigma of all of his other whiffs immediately calling his moves into question. So it'll be some sort of safe, steady, old school move that isn't actually a needle-mover.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Man, Columbus has been humming along, too. I wonder if they're peaking too early and will come back down in the playoffs. That injury puts him right around the start of the playoffs for a return. I could totally see them picking up some schlub for 8-10 weeks and leaving them off of the playoff roster.
They've lost seven games in a row.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
so Boston probably out on Kreider? could see them going for the 'cheaper' option in Palmieri (2nd and another B prospect)?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Kase is a possession guy who is RFA after next year and would immediately have been the Sabres 2nd best RW behind Reinhart. I get that Backes with retention for a first, but the rest of the deal seems like something we would have wanted/needed in Buffalo. If Kase medically is good enough for the Bruins, he certainly would be good enough for Buffalo.

Botterill has painted himself into an interesting corner. He can't take the sort of high-risk gambles that could actually be serious value adds (like Kase returning to previous pre-injury form) without the stigma of all of his other whiffs immediately calling his moves into question. So it'll be some sort of safe, steady, old school move that isn't actually a needle-mover.

Don't turn this into another Bott's debate.... Please. There are enough already.

I don't see how Buffalo could have been in on this. If anything - right now we should have been the team milking assets out of Boston in order to take Backes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->