Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
^^thanks for comment. I'm not an analytics person but pretty sure your closing statements are why hockey would look at shot attempts or shot attempts on goal or shots on goal and treats goals themselves as random events.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
^^thanks for comment. I'm not an analytics person but pretty sure your closing statements are why hockey would look at shot attempts or shot attempts on goal or shots on goal and treats goals themselves as random events.
Correct. Hockey is also extra-screwed vs the other continuous games (soccer and basketball) because they’re the last sport without player tracking.

One of the reasons xG or expected points per shot has been more integrated into mainstream analysis elsewhere, is because you can get a readout of exactly how a team generated their statistical profile over hundreds of games. For example, NBA player tracking highlighted how the Rockets moved away from the pick and roll while maintaining their offensive efficiency, which led to the Clint Capela trade because they didn’t need a dunker.

With hockey, that same insight still requires hours of grinding tape, or access to hand-tracked data. So rather than “this player’s shot share is bad because they’re a puck-on-stick guy being asked to dump-and-chase,” you have to wade through a lot of “this player is bad because their shot share is bad.”

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Its not that the numbers/stats are bad. Its Just that they can only get so much out of them. Hockey is the toughest sport to get clean numbers in. There are too many factors or noise to filter out that can impact individual and team performance. Which reduces the impact using those numbers have relative to other sports. Its why that initial positive bump you mentioned only lasts so long.

How is this different from what I said, that you are arguing against? I didn't say the data is "bad," i said the problem is the data, which seems to be exactly what you are saying.

"can't get clean numbers" = problem with the data, no?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It seems like they abandoned analytics over the last two years
They never really gave analytics a blank check to think outside the box, they brought Chayka in specifically to build around the Strome pick and OEL, and he was basically screwed the minute neither of those assets worked out. His draft record is positive, and his pro scouting is fine when you adjust for destination and mandate.

The big what-if for me is if he was let out of his deal back in ‘17 and replaced Botterill, because he’d actually get the chance to build around a core of impact NHLers.

Even now, his ability to staff a barren organization makes me consider him for longer than I probably should.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
People who live in Seattle don't seem to like that name, from what I've seen. It's going to have to do with water though, based on the tease. My guess is Sound or Sockeye.

As a former (and likely future) Seattle resident, I wanted Kraken from the start, mainly because there would be a ton of cool logo possibilities from it. Seattle Sockeyes is also already a registered name, and the current owner of it hasn't heard from the NHL team about it, so that name is also unlikely.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Kraken has supposedly already been ruled out.
Sound seems to make sense from the teaser:
- Boat was on the puget sound, presumably. Their avatar and background is a picture of the sound.
- They fished out a goal siren, which made a goal sound. Which matched the sound of a passing boat.
- Seattle music scene and history

Siren makes sense from some of the same reasons. Seems like it would be very non-traditional though. But hey, I'm all for a topless mermaid.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
- Boat was on the puget sound, presumably. Their avatar and background is a picture of the sound.
- They fished out a goal siren, which made a goal sound. Which matched the sound of a passing boat.

Siren makes sense from some of the same reasons. Seems like it would be very non-traditional though. But hey, I'm all for a topless mermaid.

If Kraken is ruled out like it's been reported and Sockeyes also isn't happening, I think Sound does make the most sense given the teaser. It would be a bit weird having the Seattle Sound and the Seattle Sounders, though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

CiNnNX94_400x400.jpg

:sarcasm:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Kraken is ruled out like it's been reported and Sockeyes also isn't happening, I think Sound does make the most sense given the teaser. It would be a bit weird having the Seattle Sound and the Seattle Sounders, though.

Yeah, the Seattle Sound seems like a bad idea with the Sounders already in place.

It would be like the Sabres having been named Buffalo Bill...

Reactions: jc17

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Shows my knowledge of Soccer...

Sockeye or Siren then.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I really wanted to like the team, but Kraken just sounds minor league to me.

The logo and jerseys are well executed, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad