Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not seeing a problem. Lou’s likely going to make short term moves. At least one of those firsts will be dealt. He still has a lot of work to do. They may have some short term success, but, aside from NJ, I’m not sure who they leapfrog in the Metro.

I'm not saying they're cup contenders. I just root for Ottawa level tomfoolery from them.

They've made stabilizing moves lately when I was hoping they'd implode.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm not saying they're cup contenders. I just root for Ottawa level tomfoolery from them.

They've made stabilizing moves lately when I was hoping they'd implode.

I only see short term gains. I see Lou moving assets to be a playoff team. I see them being no competition for the Rangers suckitude next year. I see Lou leaving them in the same condition he left the Devils.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Luckiest timing ever with the Leafs letting Lou go and the Caps cheaping out on Trotz or that stupid clause in his contract or whatever it was.

Meanwhile our lucky timing was having our peak in the midst of the Kings and Blackhawks dynastys and having the best goalie at a time in the league where goaltending is at its least valuable. There is a reason Brodeur didn't win another Cup in the near 10 years after the lockout and all the drastic rule changes.

Hank would have cleaned up pre-lockout.

And the 2018 Caps team would have gotten swept by the 2014 Kings. With no overtimes or BS goals with obvious goalie interference.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

john-lackey.gif

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's only 27, he should still be very producitve and a very good player at 30 and 31.
he's a mediocre skater and he's below average defensively.

Phenomenal offensive player but he's not going to age well Imho

I could absolutely be wrong..but it's how I've felt for a long time.
I don't consider j.t. one of the 10 best players in the nhl..but he's sure gonna get paid like he is.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he's a mediocre skater and he's below average defensively.

Phenomenal offensive player but he's not going to age well Imho

I could absolutely be wrong..but it's how I've felt for a long time.
I don't consider j.t. one of the 10 best players in the nhl..but he's sure gonna get paid like he is.

I'm not sure I'd agree with either statements. Tavares' skating while not elite, is definitely an asset and he's evolved into a fine all around player.

And 6 of the top-10 scorers this season were 30+. Giroux, Malkin, Kopitar, Kessel, Wheeler, Crosby

I really don't see the concern of signing him to a deal long term. Obviously much more concerning to lose him if you're the Islanders.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure I'd agree with either statements. Tavares' skating while not elite, is definitely an asset and he's evolved into a fine all around player.

And 6 of the top-10 scorers this season were 30+. Giroux, Malkin, Kopitar, Kessel, Wheeler, Crosby

I really don't see the concern of signing him to a deal long term. Obviously much more concerning to lose him if you're the Islanders.
Cool.

How many of the top 10 scorers were John tavares?

On a histroically awful defensive team that scored goals like crazy he wasn't a top 15 scorer.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For the most part in his career tavares hovers in the 15 to 30 range in scorers...once he was 2nd and once like 9th..at least the little research I did on my phone as my daughter tried to wrestle it from my hands.

Tavares is a 7 to 9 mil a year player whose gonna get like 12.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For the most part in his career tavares hovers in the 15 to 30 range in scorers...once he was 2nd and once like 9th..at least the little research I did on my phone as my daughter tried to wrestle it from my hands.

I don't think he gets 12. If I had to guess, $10.5

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Isles just hired a Stanley Cup winning coach who also is a heck of a developmental guy.

We hired a college guy because he looks like mike Sullivan.

Awful job by Gorton not waiting to see where all the chips were at the end of the season.

If the isles keep Tavares and can run barzal behind him. With competent management and cup winner behind the bench they’ll win a Cup in next 3 4 seasons

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Isles just hired a Stanley Cup winning coach who also is a heck of a developmental guy.

Awful job by Gorton not waiting to see where all the chips were at the end of the season.

If the isles keep Tavares and can run barzal behind him. With competent management and cup winner behind the bench they’ll win a Cup in next 3 4 seasons

No they won’t. See what NJ looked like when Lou left.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

That's one way to look at it...another way is they hired a guy whose been a consistent underachiever till this last year...

Troyz was the guy who threw shatty under the bus...you think he'd even remotely fit this team?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Cool.

How many of the top 10 scorers were John tavares?

On a histroically awful defensive team that scored goals like crazy he wasn't a top 15 scorer.

He most likely would've won the Art Ross in 2014 if not for Olympic injury. Would have won the Art Ross in 2015 if not for a freak Jamie Benn game on the last day of the season. 9th among active players for PPG.

But keep downplaying how good the guy is. And the cap just rose to 80 million. So he'd easily be worth 7-9 as a UFA.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad