Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
They would be top heavy, for sure, but that top end would be amazing. Other teams have done it and been able to compete. Pitt had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury and some rotating higher cap hit wingers when the cap was lower. The key is to keep the young players coming and make smart moves on the right players.
A great development staff and program through and through is more valuable than many people realize

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
BTW on 31 thoughts podcast Friedman says he thinks ek65 wants to go to the bolts and would sign a deal there no problem

Of course he would like to go there. McD, Hedman, EK65 & Stralman would be the most monstrous top 4. Miles ahead of any other D core on earth

Gimme that pick!!!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not going to lie, I want that TB first.

That’s still my sole vested interest in them.

The wheels can completely fall off after that. Just gimme the pick and lets move on.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Not going to lie, I want that TB first.

That’s still my sole vested interest in them.

The wheels can completely fall off after that. Just gimme the pick and lets move on.
I really want that pick also, but let's calm down here, it would be more of a second rounder than a first...

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really want that pick also, but let's calm down here, it would be more of a second rounder than a first...

I’m looking at more from the perspective of the difference being 31 picks (31st vs. 62nd). That in and of itself is reason enough for me.

Beyond that, if 31 and a second gets the Rangers to a prospect they target, whereas two seconds wouldn’t, I’m all for it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I’m looking at more from the perspective of the difference being 31 picks (31st vs. 62nd). That in and of itself is reason enough for me.

Beyond that, if 31 and a second gets the Rangers to a prospect they target, whereas two seconds wouldn’t, I’m all for it.

The more assets the better. Hell, I’ll take Tyler Johnson, move Hayes for more assets, then move Johnson once Andersson and Howden are ready.

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The more assets the better. Hell, I’ll take Tyler Johnson, move Hayes for more assets, then move Johnson once Andersson and Howden are ready.

Johnson is a name who comes up, but I have to think he’s the type who requires some additional assets to get.

I have a hard time figuring what the Rangers send to TB. Because they’ll have to send something, even if they’re essentially being paid to take a bad contract.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Johnson is a name who comes up, but I have to think he’s the type who requires some additional assets to get.

I have a hard time figuring what the Rangers send to TB. Because they’ll have to send something, even if they’re essentially being paid to take a bad contract.

The more I think about it, we may be the recipient of the Ryan contract. So, TB makes the deal with Ottawa, the Rangers give up token pieces such as Spooner and a Gilmour, and the Rangers get Ryan, a prospect, and the condition is removed from 2nd and becomes a first. Maybe TB throws in another pick to the Rangers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The more I think about it, we may be the recipient of the Ryan contract. So, TB makes the deal with Ottawa, the Rangers give up token pieces such as Spooner and a Gilmour, and the Rangers get Ryan, a prospect, and the condition is removed from 2nd and becomes a first. Maybe TB throws in another pick to the Rangers.

I don't think thats enough of a return for taking on Ryan and TB is the one who would really need to shed a contract.

I'd rank them like this:

Johnson: Useful player at a solid price. Would be a great chip if we want to flip him elsewhere or possibly to take a spot on 2C should they want to move hayes. Not a throw in like Edge has mentioned.

Callahan: Useless player at a bad price. Only signed for 2 more seasons so not the end of the world.

Ryan: More useless than Callahan when he isn't scoring at a horrendous price. If we're taking on that contract, the return has to be amazing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Dude, how is Callahan useless? I mean look at the playoffs. Especially the ECF, If anything, Callahan is one of the more effective players in the league when he is not hitting the score-sheet. Come on now, I know you don’t like him, but right now it is looking like it will happen from what I’ve heard. Plus, his Grit and leadership is something that will be good to influence the Rangers young guys coming up from the system. I think it’s worth taking it on, if there are assets attached to it, and will still get an effective player, imho.

He had a good game or two, I don't think trying hard (which he always does) should be confused with playing well (which he seldom does.)

Hes a bad player now and has been for a while. Its not for a lack of effort, which you're right would be something that can rub off on others (though I'd never try and convince anyone to play the way he does) its just what he is now.

I'd rather have him than Bobby Ryan, if that makes you feel any better. BR is a better player, but that contract is butt.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't think thats enough of a return for taking on Ryan and TB is the one who would really need to shed a contract.

I'd rank them like this:

Johnson: Useful player at a solid price. Would be a great chip if we want to flip him elsewhere or possibly to take a spot on 2C should they want to move hayes. Not a throw in like Edge has mentioned.

Callahan: Useless player at a bad price. Only signed for 2 more seasons so not the end of the world.

Ryan: More useless than Callahan when he isn't scoring at a horrendous price. If we're taking on that contract, the return has to be amazing.

What about Coburn?

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had a good game or two, I don't think trying hard (which he always does) should be confused with playing well (which he seldom does.)

Hes a bad player now and has been for a while. Its not for a lack of effort, which you're right would be something that can rub off on others (though I'd never try and convince anyone to play the way he does) its just what he is now.

I'd rather have him than Bobby Ryan, if that makes you feel any better. BR is a better player, but that contract is butt.

Yeah the Bobby Ryan contract is too long in term. I still think Cally could be effective in a decent role here and better than with Tampa. But have to be getting something attached to it. Taking on Bobby Ryan is just too much and goes too long, and is a larger cap hit as well.

Reactions: Bozle

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fun reminder that the Isles have had a net loss of ~30 Goals above replacement this offseason. We’ve done nothing but add Claeson, which is why we’re low on this chart. He’s still a positive GAR player, so it’s a net win for a depth signing.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Fun reminder that the Isles have had a net loss of ~30 Goals above replacement this offseason. We’ve done nothing but add Claeson, which is why we’re low on this chart. He’s still a positive GAR player, so it’s a net win for a depth signing.

The best part is that some of those minuses the Islanders have are additions to the roster. They're in full tank mode, whether they think they are or not.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Tampa with Karlsson is going to be really hard to beat for years to come if they are able to extend him and keep Kucherov too.
Eh, they'll find a way to keep losing imo. I can't recall seeing a team play less urgently in a more urgent situation than they did in their last game against the Caps. They have serious issues with their top players not rising to the occasion.

I get the feeling that Cooper is just AV with a way better roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad