Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Just hurts because Lundqvist is the last of the old guard that deserves it. Happy for Ovi, not for the Caps.

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Did someone here seriously say Ovechkin is "classy"??? LOL I must have misread that. This is the same guy who takes runs at players and has been a CAREER DIRTBAG on the ice, right? Yeah he "deserves" a cup. Sure.

As far as Richter saying "Lundqvist is better than him" of course he's going to say that, just like Gretzky is going to say "McDavid has a great chance to break all my records!". Neither statement is factual. Give me Richter ANY DAY in 1994 over Lundqvist. Rangers would win "multiple cups with Lundqvist" LOL, sure. I doubt we would win ONE, to be honest.

Lundqvist wouldn't hold the fort in Game 6 against New Jersey the way Richter did, and then we'd hear excuses about "Oh well the Rangers were drastically outshot in that game! Can't blame The King!" just like we're hearing those excuses now about Lundqvist for why he blew multiple 2 goal leads in the finals. Save it. He is not the God you are making him out to be and has crumbled many times under pressure situations in the playoffs.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Did someone here seriously say Ovechkin is "classy"??? LOL I must have misread that. This is the same guy who takes runs at players and has been a CAREER DIRTBAG on the ice, right? Yeah he "deserves" a cup. Sure.

As far as Richter saying "Lundqvist is better than him" of course he's going to say that, just like Gretzky is going to say "McDavid has a great chance to break all my records!". Neither statement is factual. Give me Richter ANY DAY in 1994 over Lundqvist. Rangers would win "multiple cups with Lundqvist" LOL, sure. I doubt we would win ONE, to be honest.

Lundqvist wouldn't hold the fort in Game 6 against New Jersey the way Richter did, and then we'd hear excuses about "Oh well the Rangers were drastically outshot in that game! Can't blame The King!" just like we're hearing those excuses now about Lundqvist for why he blew multiple 2 goal leads in the finals. Save it. He is not the God you are making him out to be and has crumbled many times under pressure situations in the playoffs.

Show me one player who hasn't toed the line in the NHL. Hell, the Rangers have employed some known scumbags and even some of our more clean/classier homegrown players have done some bad stuff in their time here. No one's a saint. No one deserves anything. The universe doesn't owe anything to anyone, and it doesn't care if someone does or doesn't get something. Ovechkin and the Caps earned their Cup.

As far as Lundqvist/whatever else, that's a lot of speculation and assumptions rattled off as "fact". He's held his own in quite a few series across multiple years and given the Rangers a fighting chance, to which they've routinely left him out to dry. For the tables to turn, where the team is supporting Lundqvist and not the other way around, and have people turn on him so quickly is..I'd say it's surprising, but "What have you done for me lately" syndrome is strong in sports.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Which is why we need better defense to take away those high danger shots

better defensemen are certainly part of that solution but the most important part is a coach that will run a competent system in the defensive zone which didn't happen under av.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
A lot of blocked shots are shots that a goalie saves pretty much every time if they see it.

Blocking these low-danger shots has a chance of making them highly dangerous chances via deflection that the goalie can't change to at the last moment.

95% of shotblocking is uneccesary, but there are times when it is needed.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The absolute worst thing about having to read posts about Lundqvist being overrated, or that this is the year his true form will show through, is that he is getting older and the team is getting worse; so quite soon, he won't be what he was, and then everybody that has been calling it for a decade will be saying 'I told you so', even though they've been wrong for many, many more years than any team could realistically hope for a goalie to perform at such a ridiculous level.

Aggravating.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was thinking about this while watching the Caps players celebrate. Outside of Lundqvist and Zucc, there isn't anyone on the Rangers who I have a real desire to see win it all. This would have been true before the sell off this year too.

It's going to take a few years to rebuild that identity and bond with the fans as well I think.
True. I like Kreider a lot and some other guys but they’re all pretty young guys. It’ll take a while for this team to write their story.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Ovie cleaned up his act in the past few seasons.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Show me one player who hasn't toed the line in the NHL. Hell, the Rangers have employed some known scumbags and even some of our more clean/classier homegrown players have done some bad stuff in their time here. No one's a saint. No one deserves anything. The universe doesn't owe anything to anyone, and it doesn't care if someone does or doesn't get something. Ovechkin and the Caps earned their Cup.

As far as Lundqvist/whatever else, that's a lot of speculation and assumptions rattled off as "fact". He's held his own in quite a few series across multiple years and given the Rangers a fighting chance, to which they've routinely left him out to dry. For the tables to turn, where the team is supporting Lundqvist and not the other way around, and have people turn on him so quickly is..I'd say it's surprising, but "What have you done for me lately" syndrome is strong in sports.
Exactly. Are you going to call Adam Graves a scumbag because he slashed Lemieux's hand?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
100%. He never threw a hit that wasn't charging up until like 2 or 3 years ago.

Orpik and Wilson are the dirt bags on that team.
I’d say Wilson’s in a whole separate category. He took Hockey Sleaze to a whole new level.
His headshots probably won them the Penguins series.
On a side note I’d expect the league enacts a Tom Wilson rule.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I’d say Wilson’s in a whole separate category. He took Hockey Sleaze to a whole new level.
His headshots probably won them the Penguins series.
On a side note I’d expect the league enacts a Tom Wilson rule.
what's the tom Wilson rule?

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
what's the tom Wilson rule?
Don’t charge and headshot opponents who are already being held up by other players.
I think it’s hugely dangerous to take a bull run at a player who’s already occupied with another player. Obviously you can check the guy but you have to be careful. Like when a guy is near the boards with his back to you. He can be hit but the hitter needs to take care.
Seems like common sense, but here we are.

Reactions: will1066

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

On the flip side of this. If Mike Richter was starting goalie from 2005- until present day. What does Mike Richter's resume look like? Im guessing you probably completely forgot about Hank's goaltending vs the Pens in game 7 of the 3rd period where they were in our zone for about 18 mins. Your team is going to blow leads when it turtles up into prevent defense for an entire period. I don't remember Richter dragging the Rangers to the playoffs when a team had no business being there post 94. Im surprised your actually not completely ENRAGED that the 97 Rangers didn't win a cup with that type of talent. Please point to me one future HOF'er or one that could look to be in that category that Hank has had on any of our CONTENDING teams.

Just admit it. You solely blame Lundqvist for the Rangers losing. Whatever success the team had was in spite of him.

Reactions: Gresch04

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
A lot of blocked shots are shots that a goalie saves pretty much every time if they see it.

Blocking these low-danger shots has a chance of making them highly dangerous chances via deflection that the goalie can't change to at the last moment.

95% of shotblocking is uneccesary, but there are times when it is needed.

I have to disagree with a lot of this.

You’re totally dismissing the importance of shot blocking based on having the perfect system and personal in place which is complete fantasy.

Unless a “low danger” SB is going to lead to a breakaway going the other way, players aren’t going to waste their time blocking a shot as they shouldn’t.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that posters want a better defense which is totally understandable but at the same time I don’t hear anyone calling for forwards which are going to back check and help out the defense, especially after having Stepan.
You have to play as a tight 5 man pack.

When the game is on the line, you block shots!

You're claiming that 95% of shot blocking being un-nessasary is complete BS.

Take a minute and see what the SC Champs have to say about it.

Capitals’ shot blocking part of all-in mentality fueling Stanley Cup run

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
thought it would be funny if the caps refused to go to the white house being the local team but guess that won't happen since there are pics on twitter of them partying with ivanka and jared lol

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The absolute worst thing about having to read posts about Lundqvist being overrated, or that this is the year his true form will show through, is that he is getting older and the team is getting worse; so quite soon, he won't be what he was, and then everybody that has been calling it for a decade will be saying 'I told you so', even though they've been wrong for many, many more years than any team could realistically hope for a goalie to perform at such a ridiculous level.

Aggravating.

Oh, and Lundqvist's elimination game stats are the best - ever.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Ovi is going to on a bender through the entire summer. He'll still be on one by the time they're raising the Cup banner at their first home game.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad