Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
I don't want to continue the Lundqvist thing here anymore so I'll just say that yes, he was great against Pittsburgh. But as is the story of Lundqvists career he is great one round, and below average the next round (see: Stanley Cup Finals 2014). Richter put together 4 rounds of spectactular hockey in 1994 which is something Lundqvist has never been able to do in his career, and why he has no Stanley Cups. Lundqvist never had "The Run" that fans thought he would have. Runs that goalies like Patrick Roy had in 1986 or in 1993. I'll end it there.

I just don't think Lundqvist has that "killer instinct" you need to win a Cup. We all talk about how great he has been, but with zero championships to his name, how can you call him "great"? Sorry but I just can't call someone who never delivered a championship "great". He's just "good". He's the Patrick Ewing of the Rangers. People say "We will miss Lundqvist when he is gone". What exactly will we "miss"? Not winning any cups? It'll just be the same as before. I don't care about "deep runs" in the playoffs or "dragging teams to the playoffs". I want STANLEY CUPS, not excuses.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't want to continue the Lundqvist thing here anymore so I'll just say that yes, he was great against Pittsburgh. But as is the story of Lundqvists career he is great one round, and below average the next round (see: Stanley Cup Finals 2014). Richter put together 4 rounds of spectactular hockey in 1994 which is something Lundqvist has never been able to do in his career, and why he has no Stanley Cups. Lundqvist never had "The Run" that fans thought he would have. Runs that goalies like Patrick Roy had in 1986 or in 1993. I'll end it there.

I just don't think Lundqvist has that "killer instinct" you need to win a Cup. We all talk about how great he has been, but with zero championships to his name, how can you call him "great"? Sorry but I just can't call someone who never delivered a championship "great". He's just "good". He's the Patrick Ewing of the Rangers. People say "We will miss Lundqvist when he is gone". What exactly will we "miss"? Not winning any cups? It'll just be the same as before. I don't care about "deep runs" in the playoffs or "dragging teams to the playoffs". I want STANLEY CUPS, not excuses.
Look at the team Dominik Hasek needed to win a championship.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Just ridiculous. If you don't want to continue the Lundqvist thing then why did you?

1993-94 NYR 3/4 Hall of Famers (Messier, Leetch, Gartner, & Anderson. A ton of borderline Hall of Famers: Zubov, Larmer, Richter, Kovalev, & Lowe. A ton of NHL'ers with a legacy of 500+ games: Tikkanen, Graves, Kocur, Mactavish, etc... And a team full of multiple guys winning multiple cups.

2013-14 2 likely Hall of Famers (one being the guy you're blaming, the other St. Louis), borderline HOF Rick Nash and Brad Richards, and very few guys winning a Cup, much less 3, 4, or 5 like some of the ex Edmonton guys above.

Our leading scorer had 59 points. Our leading scorer in the playoffs was Ryan McDonagh and you know that's a bad thing. Lundqvist had a .927 in the playoffs and the Rangers were outshot by nearly FIFTY shots in FIVE games in the Final.

Furthermore, everyone from peers to coaches to other players that play against him always say that Lundqvist is among the most competitive people they've ever seen. Saying he lacks a "killer instinct" is almost funny. All the guy wants to do is win.

Our lineups haven't been good enough. No Crosby/Malkin/Letang, no Doughty/Kopitar, No Ovechkin/Backstrom, No Kane/Toews/Keith. The truth is we've never had the lineup good enough to win and we got there once DESPITE our lineup because of the guy you're calling not great.

Mike Gartner?
Pavel Bure?
Jerome Iginla?
Joe Thornton?
Brad Park?
Jean Ratelle?
Sedin twins?
Marcel Dionne?
Peter Stastny?
Tony Esposito?
Adam Oates?
Mats Sundin?
Phil Housley?

Not great my ass.

Last edited:

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
I understand your arguments for Lundqvist but despite being outshot in the finals, he was given many 2 goal leads and coughed it up. He will always be more "Patrick Ewing" to me than "Mark Messier". Is that fair? Probably not entirely, but that's how most fans will view him when all is said and done. Richter will always have the edge over Lundqvist in Rangers lore because he has the ring.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if it was already mentioned here but Antti Suomela signed with San Jose. He led Liiga in points, won the CHL with JYP and had a great season. Good free pick up for the Sharks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand your arguments for Lundqvist but despite being outshot in the finals, he was given many 2 goal leads and coughed it up. He will always be more "Patrick Ewing" to me than "Mark Messier". Is that fair? Probably not entirely, but that's how most fans will view him when all is said and done. Richter will always have the edge over Lundqvist in Rangers lore because he has the ring.

There’s been an ongoing conversation for years about “success” vs “ultimate success.” A lot of people don’t believe they’re the same thing. A lot of other people believe they are the same thing.

And seemingly, it’s binary and unresolvable.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stolen from NHL Network Radio...could Tavares end up in Vegas?
They should try to sign him so they can shift Wild Bill to his wing.

Friedman said their hold on the Karlsson deal was not wanting to trade Cody Glass. They have the cap space and a lot of good prospects that’ll be there soon in Glass, Suzuki, and Branstrom.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Stolen from NHL Network Radio...could Tavares end up in Vegas?

No idea what the owners are willing to spend but they have like $52 mil on cap space. That plus coming off a cup final they can probably sign anyone they want

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No idea what the owners are willing to spend but they have like $52 mil on cap space. That plus coming off a cup final they can probably sign anyone they want

The success in their inaugural season definitely changes what UFAs think. They are now a destination to contend for the cup. Imagine Tavares, Kovalchuk, Carlson and JVR signing with them. They have the cap space as you said

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The success in their inaugural season definitely changes what UFAs think. They are now a destination to contend for the cup. Imagine Tavares, Kovalchuk, Carlson and JVR signing with them. They have the cap space as you said

Just as important...NO STATE INCOME TAX...compared to Nassau County and New York State. VGK will be able to compensate the one less year with a contract of more actual take home.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just as important...NO STATE INCOME TAX...compared to Nassau County and New York State. VGK will be able to compensate the one less year with a contract of more actual take home.

Exactly! Minor nitpick though:

giphy.gif

;)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With JT here is my feeling: he would prefer to stay an Islander unless they gave him a reason to leave. You may have noticed in the past few weeks they have done the exact opposite of that. I think he talks to teams, gets their best offers, brings them back to the Isles who instantly top them and he signs.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
With JT here is my feeling: he would prefer to stay an Islander unless they gave him a reason to leave. You may have noticed in the past few weeks they have done the exact opposite of that. I think he talks to teams, gets their best offers, brings them back to the Isles who instantly top them and he signs.
Wasn't there a report/rumor that they were trying to trade his rights now because he was mad that they fired Weight?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
So was it Messier or Richter that was the reason they won in 94?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wasn't there a report/rumor that they were trying to trade his rights now because he was mad that they fired Weight?
Staple basically said the idea he was gone because they sacked Weight is ridiculous and in no way true. Not to mention that they didn't outright fire him, they are going to reassign him to be a scout or something.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Staple basically said the idea he was gone because they sacked Weight is ridiculous and in no way true. Not to mention that they didn't outright fire him, they are going to reassign him to be a scout or something.
Even disregarding that, I have a really hard time seeing him stay with the Isles

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
for those happy for ovi but not the rest of the caps, you'll be glad to know that from the videos on twitter it appears that ovi hasn't let any of his teammates touch the cup since they left the ice lol

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
I think some of the younger fans here think Richter was just "along for the ride" in 1994. Let me explain it to you very clearly: Without Richter the Rangers don't win the cup in 1994. That's a fact, Jack.

Reactions: mjolnir13

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Goalies are the least important on the team because the impact of an elite goalie compared to a good goalie is minimal, compared to centers, wingers and D men

Deleted member 23124

for those happy for ovi but not the rest of the caps, you'll be glad to know that from the videos on twitter it appears that ovi hasn't let any of his teammates touch the cup since they left the ice lol
Can you blame him?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Goalies are the least important on the team because the impact of an elite goalie compared to a good goalie is minimal, compared to centers, wingers and D men
Seriously? This is hockey buddy! Just look at Vegas this postseason, or Holtby game 2

Cmon. Laughable post:thumbd:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad