Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 3) Regular Season Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
McDavid played over 11 minutes in the 3rd tonight lol. Over 26 mins on the night and its in OT now.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sid is still #1 in my book. Until McDavid or Matthews win a cup they will always be behind Crosby. Crosby still is comparable scoring wise and success wise he is one of the best ever. 3 cups. Scoring titles. HARTS. Olympic gold including gold winning goal.

Crosby is still the goat.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Coaches out there Re: Crosby's OT goal.

Regardless that it's 3-on-3, do you coach Nurse to call for a switch with Strome in that situation if Nurse knows Strome is gassed? Can you execute a switch with that time and space?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sid is still #1 in my book. Until McDavid or Matthews win a cup they will always be behind Crosby. Crosby still is comparable scoring wise and success wise he is one of the best ever. 3 cups. Scoring titles. HARTS. Olympic gold including gold winning goal.

Crosby is still the goat.

I hate him but my respect for him grows as years go by.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I asked this on the main board but nobody cared because it was a good question and not an attempt at trolling: has anyone ever done a study on trades of established NHL players for draft picks and the percentage of times the team getting the player won, the team getting the pick(s) won and the trade being a wash? If it hasn't been done that would make a heck of an Athletic article and could give some concrete facts on how those type of trades work out and I'd be very interested to see it.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I haven't ever seen an actual study on it.

I've found perusing trade history on sites like this incredibly amusing.

I also think there's a lot of truth to the "whomever gets the best player at the time of the trade" wins concept, though obviously you can find things that go both ways, then you get into concepts of time (we got the better player...after 5-6 years!), aggregate talent/depth etc issues.

And clearly, if you're trying to tank, you're not looking to get actual current players back in the deal, you're specifically looking for futures which would also be quite a skew on trying to assign 'winning'.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I haven't ever seen an actual study on it.

I've found perusing trade history on sites like this incredibly amusing.

I also think there's a lot of truth to the "whomever gets the best player at the time of the trade" wins concept, though obviously you can find things that go both ways, then you get into concepts of time (we got the better player...after 5-6 years!), aggregate talent/depth etc issues.

And clearly, if you're trying to tank, you're not looking to get actual current players back in the deal, you're specifically looking for futures which would also be quite a skew on trying to assign 'winning'.
I'm interested in seeing the percentage of times "futures" end up being a win. It is my hunch that it isn't very often and I'd like to see that either confirmed or debunked.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm interested in seeing the percentage of times "futures" end up being a win. It is my hunch that it isn't very often and I'd like to see that either confirmed or debunked.

Nashville Predators troll Capitals on five-year anniversary of Filip Forsberg trade

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-rask-maple-leafs-trade-haunting/

There are plenty of futures deals that worked out well for the team that gave up the established NHL talent.

The problem is that there are plenty of times where there are things like cap considerations that can limit the return on a guy. And if you are talking about a trade for picks, that is even more variable as that is essentially buying a lottery ticket.

There is a reason why the idea of "The team that gets the best player in the deal wins" exists.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Regardless that it's 3-on-3, do you coach Nurse to call for a switch with Strome in that situation if Nurse knows Strome is gassed? Can you execute a switch with that time and space?
The zoomed out view, Edm has that play locked down. One of my kids gets turned inside out like that I’m shaking my head and calling it a night.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Personally, forget the switch. Why didn't Nurse react quicker and take the body instead of the lame poke check attempt when Sid made the drive for the crease?

Who cares if he tries to make a blind backhand pass to the guy at the top of the circle?

It is a 1 on 3 from the tops of the circles down when Sid dangles it between Strome's legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad