Around the NHL: 2018-2019 Off-Season Thread, Stupid Money Season Meets the Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kucherov/Karlsson is the basis for the trade.
I don't think so. Dorion doesn't seem to be keen on getting a one for one deal and also doesn't seem keen on making good decisions, which this would be. Picks and young roster players are more likely to be what they want.

Yzerman also doesn't necessarily have to be this aggressive this early and start leveraging Kucherov. If he does move him it's likely at next years draft to replenish what they moved out in the Karlsson deal, like you mentioned.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think so. Dorion doesn't seem to be keen on getting a one for one deal and also doesn't seem keen on making good decisions, which this would be. Picks and young roster players are more likely to be what they want.

Yzerman also doesn't necessarily have to be this aggressive this early and start leveraging Kucherov. If he does move him it's likely at next years draft to replenish what they moved out in the Karlsson deal, like you mentioned.

Why would you presume to know anything about what Dorion is keen on?

The point of doing a Kucherov/Karlsson swap is that for Ottawa they get a player that they can flip for similar picks/prospects, while getting the protection that his RFA affords (no rush to trade)..... while Tampa clears current cap space to take on Karlsson, knowing there's almost no way they could re-sign Karlsson AND Kucherov.... so they keep their depth and prospects and shift an elite talent from wing to the blueline..... and All of the contracts they would consider moving to make room for Karlsson have NTCs anyways, and No one is waiving to go to Ottawa.

Again... I'm just speculating... but it makes a decent amount of sense, given the state of their cap and the restrictions of their NTCs

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Was there more chatter then the Friedman (I think) report that was basically they used the RFA leverage on him for the last contract and now he'll use his against them (ie get paid market value)?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Was there more chatter then the Friedman (I think) report that was basically they used the CBA leverage on him for the last contract and now he'll use his against them (ie get paid market value)?
I do remember that but I don't remember who reported it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If Tampa signs Karlsson to the expected $11M deal, they'll only have $13M (plus whatever they trade away), to sign 6 players (+), including Point & Kurcherov.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Tiers in the division if Tampa gets Karlsson.

Toronto
Tampa

Boston
Florida

Sabres
Montreal
Detroit

Ottawa

It's gonna be a rough time for Buffalo, we really need kids to work out.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's a "we tried to sign him guys" offer so they can say it to the fan base when he gets traded to Dallas for Honka Lindell and some picks

That’s the problem, a 10 a year deal is not a we tried to sign him dollar figure. It’s a lowball offer by any metric of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad