Around the NHL: 2018-2019 Off-Season Thread, Stupid Money Season Meets the Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I remember when i was a kid going to Niagara vs Oshawa games when the met in the playoffs and guys like John Tavares, Alex Pietrangelo and Grubauer where playing. Crazy to think these guys are all legit vets in the NHL now. I'll always remember Niagara fans getting Grubauer off his game with the "Grubauer, Grubauer, Grubauer you suck" chant.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remember when i was a kid going to Niagara vs Oshawa games when the met in the playoffs and guys like John Tavares, Alex Pietrangelo and Grubauer where playing. Crazy to think these guys are all legit vets in the NHL now. I'll always remember Niagara fans getting Grubauer off his game with the "Grubauer, Grubauer, Grubauer you suck" chant.

Heck, almost every I watched when I had seasons or was going to Top Prospects Games are retired. It isn't just that they become vets, they wind up retired and you watch their kids playing goal for D1 programs and other weirdness.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Heck, almost every I watched when I had seasons or was going to Top Prospects Games are retired. It isn't just that they become vets, they wind up retired and you watch their kids playing goal for D1 programs and other weirdness.

Ha yup, I was reading 1972’s post thinking, I was in college when he was in juniors. And then a jealous thought, how young is 1972!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ha yup, I was reading 1972’s post thinking, I was in college when he was in juniors. And then a jealous thought, how young is 1972!

Seeing Keith Primeau's son as an already drafted D1 starter (and a good one) really makes me feel old. Or that the guys who I took my wife and her college housemates to see when we were dating are all retired now. Or that it's been 22 years since my first Top Prospects Game. :facepalm:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I’m 25 now. I’m guessing I was 16 back then haha.

My family had seasons from Niagaras inagural season until 2014. I was lucky enough to see some amazing players through the years. I miss it but don’t have the time anymore.

It’s crazy, I used to go to the Jack early to games and see guys like PK Subban, Tyler Toffoli and Steven Stamkos running around the concourse. Or running into Nick Ritchie on a nightly basis in the food booth line before he was drafted to the Petes lol. Good times.

Back then I would always try and stand beside a scout at the top and try and ease drop on their notes and conversations. I still remember the Oilers head scout at the time talking about how good Roland McKeown was going to be in the NHL or scouts going bannanas over Brett Ritchie. I remember one game where he was so dominant people were literally congratulating Joe Niewendyk.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Seeing Keith Primeau's son as an already drafted D1 starter (and a good one) really makes me feel old. Or that the guys who I took my wife and her college housemates to see when we were dating are all retired now. Or that it's been 22 years since my first Top Prospects Game. :facepalm:

Ovie and Malkin are the ones getting me. Same birth year. All I see is grey hair and ppl already talking about Ovechkin’s legacy and how few years left he has.... Just take me out to pasture.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ovie and Malkin are the ones getting me. Same birth year. All I see is grey hair and ppl already talking about Ovechkin’s legacy and how few years left he has.... Just take me out to pasture.

It gets worse. :biglaugh:

I’m 25 now. I’m guessing I was 16 back then haha.

My family had seasons from Niagaras inagural season until 2014. I was lucky enough to see some amazing players through the years. I miss it but don’t have the time anymore.

It’s crazy, I used to go to the Jack early to games and see guys like PK Subban, Tyler Toffoli and Steven Stamkos running around the concourse. Or running into Nick Ritchie on a nightly basis in the food booth line before he was drafted to the Petes lol. Good times.

Case in point - I had seasons for the Thunder. And there are people I knew who sat beside us who had seasons for the NF Flyers. :D

I will now go ice parts of my frame that hurt and think that I have regular good posters who were 10 when I first became a mod or were 5 when I first started posting at HF and ESPN. :biglaugh:

Reactions: sabrebuild

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
If Jagr doesn't come back, then Matt Cullen is the last active player older than me (Chara's a few weeks younger than me).

It's Thornton that kills me though - I moved to Boston for school in 1995, watched him get drafted, followed his entire career, and now people call him old man winter. He's regarded as almost done if not already so.

But...how can he be old?? He's younger than me, and I'm not old! Right? :(

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Wow; just took me back to the late 80's/early 90's!

Keith primeau, Brad May, Andy Bezeau, Jason Winch, Paul Wolanski, Paul Laus....

And who could forget Roch Belley?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Burn it to the ground, keep the kids in the minors and let the plugs (Ryan and Gaborik) tank and get you some lottery tickets.

...And then you remember their 2019 pick belongs to Colorado. What a disaster Ottawa has turned into over the last year.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Why would he want a trade instead of going to UFA?
A trade doesn't stop him from going to UFA, it just gets him out of Ottawa next year. If some of the rumors floating around are even half true... I can't say I blame him.

It's probably in Ottawa's best interest to trade him with a year left anyways. Gotta think he's not coming back, even if Ottawa backs the Brinks truck to his door, and they could certainly use a killer package of futures and/or young roster players.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
A trade doesn't stop him from going to UFA, it just gets him out of Ottawa next year. If some of the rumors floating around are even half true... I can't say I blame him.

It's probably in Ottawa's best interest to trade him with a year left anyways. Gotta think he's not coming back, even if Ottawa backs the Brinks truck to his door, and they could certainly use a killer package of futures and/or young roster players.

My bad. For whatever reason I thought his contract was up and they were essentially trading his "rights" or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->