Around the NHL: 2018-2019 Off-Season Thread, Stupid Money Season Meets the Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If you put our pick into place, and the two extras this year. And you add Guhle and Asplund and Erod. Can you get a call back?

3 firsts next year, one of which is a likely top ten lottery pick. Two roster players, with good potential. And a good prospect, seemingly a lock for a bottom six role for cheap in the next couple years.

We count on a Karlsson add helps a huge surge and become a borderline playoff team.
I would think that is an overpayment tbh. Dallas isn't taking Ryan and it doesn't sound like Heiskanen is an option. From the tweets it sounds like shore, honka,1st and maybe something else.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Goddamn that's a cheap contract on De Haan. I would've paid quite a bit more to bring him to Buffalo. Carolina had a nice off season.

I'm not really interested in Faulk. He's about the only Carolina D I didn't want just like Vatanan was the only Anaheim D I didn't want. Probably why those two are ones chosen to be pushed out the door by their teams due to wealth at the position.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
He would go on tears, then it would dry up for weeks at a time. Happens every single season where he goes through a prolonged funk, he gets down on himself and it gets worse until he snaps out of it. The reaction of fans and media when it inevitably happens will be interesting to watch.

So I looked into this for last season. Tavares only went on 2 seperate 5-game droughts where he didn't register a point. Outside of that, he never went more then 2 games without a point. In 2016-2017, his longest point drought was 3 games, which happened twice. In 2015-2016, it was 2 seperate 4-game droughts. To say he goes on regular weeks long droughts is pretty inaccurate and Marner, Matthews, and Nylander all went for longer pointless-streaks in Toronto and while the media did bring it up, it never became something to badger the player about.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You know I just realized we used the Islanders first to acquire Lehner from the Vanek trade. Islanders just signed Lehner its like they pretty much got their first round pick back. :laugh:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So I looked into this for last season. Tavares only went on 2 seperate 5-game droughts where he didn't register a point. Outside of that, he never went more then 2 games without a point. In 2016-2017, his longest point drought was 3 games, which happened twice. In 2015-2016, it was 2 seperate 4-game droughts. To say he goes on regular weeks long droughts is pretty inaccurate and Marner, Matthews, and Nylander all went for longer pointless-streaks in Toronto and while the media did bring it up, it never became something to badger the player about.
Trust me: he may get random points in those stretches but he ALWAYS has the period where he gets into a funk and looks terrible until he snaps out of it. Ask any Islanders fan, this isn't a big secret. When he would go into one there would be some posters who would kill him and I'd be the voice of reason telling them to calm down and that he would eventually work his way out of it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Goddamn that's a cheap contract on De Haan. I would've paid quite a bit more to bring him to Buffalo. Carolina had a nice off season.

I'm not really interested in Faulk. He's about the only Carolina D I didn't want just like Vatanan was the only Anaheim D I didn't want. Probably why those two are ones chosen to be pushed out the door by their teams due to wealth at the position.

So wait you weren't interested in vats and that's why he got moved and now you're not interested in faulk so that's why he will get moved lol? Can I borrow your crystal ball?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So the Athletic had a story on Karlsson that included a report that Ottawa offered him 10x8. He turned it down. Doughty got 11x8.

Assuming the report is accurate, two questions.

1. Why are you making an offer at a rate below Doughty this early in the offseason without knowing Karlsson would take it?
-Why would Karlsson accept that, unless negotiations had already established he was taking a discount. Doughty’s deal sets the minimum. Karlsson on the open market is getting 11-12 by basically every team in the league before negotiations have even started.
2. Assuming then that Ott had not gotten assurances, why wouldn’t you offer him Doughty money, so in the event he wants out because of Hoffman or the team’s ineptitude, they can at least tell their fans they put in a top of the market offer.
-Do they think they are in a real negotiation with Karlsson? Do they not realize that all that needs to happen is for them to beg to find out if he will allow them to write whatever check he wants or if they should trade him now so Karlsson can be happier elsewhere and play on a good team.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
So the Athletic had a story on Karlsson that included a report that Ottawa offered him 10x8. He turned it down. Doughty got 11x8.

1. Why are you making an offer at a rate below Doughty this early in the offseason without knowing Karlsson would take it?
-Why would Karlsson accept that, unless negotiations had already established he was taking a discount. Doughty’s deal sets the minimum. Karlsson on the open market is getting 11-12 by basically every team in the league before negotiations have even started.
2. Assuming then that Ott had not gotten assurances, why wouldn’t you offer him Doughty money, so in the event he wants out because of Hoffman or the team’s ineptitude, they can at least tell their fans they put in a top of the market offer.
-Do they think they are in a real negotiation with Karlsson? Do they not realize that all that needs to happen is for them to beg to find out if he will allow them to write whatever check he wants or if they should trade him now so Karlsson can be happier elsewhere and play on a good team.
It doesn't matter what they offer. He's not staying in Ottawa. Or at least that is the feeling I get.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Seems likely to me as well. But I’m more interested in how they handle it.

What crap organization
Probably even worse than Montreal right now, but who knows. I hate Ottawa but those fans.... must really suck to witness the catasrophy the past year has been

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Probably even worse than Montreal right now, but who knows. I hate Ottawa but those fans.... must really suck to witness the catasrophy the past year has been

Montreal still has their first round pick next year. Their bonafide youngish star is locked in long term, even tho the cap is brutal. They have some talent and if things go right, there is a path back to middling playoff hopeful in a couple years.

And they are dog crap with Bergevin in charge.

And yet Karlsson will in all likelihood be gone. If he stays, all they managed to do is get worse after the Hoffman deal.

Tho shouldn’t they get better as a team after removing a far crazier cancer than anything remotely rumored about RoR?? Idk, just thinking out loud.

If he goes, they go from a last place level team that was top heavy, to a team that lost its best player and probably third best player for probably a lot of picks and a couple roster players. Most likely, no one who can fill the roles of the players who left, is coming back to the team, and since the team is already garbage, that means even if you do get that trade for Karlsson thru, your team is still gonna be tank worthy in a season without their first round pick. Just kill your self Ottawa. Tough times.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Such an isles move, I know we've sucked for a while but those fans... I truly feel for them. Maybe lou can right the ship, but Lehner seems like a big mistake
Come on man, Lehner is a league average starter that totally was totally worth QO-ing at 4+ mil. Lehner will drag them to the playoffs just like he did with Buffalo.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018

It's a "we tried to sign him guys" offer so they can say it to the fan base when he gets traded to Dallas for Honka Lindell and some picks

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You know enough people are down on this team... But we surely have to finish ahead of Ottawa even if we're no better than last year.

Montreal too unless Price carries them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The interesting thing about TB in on this is that they have so many players with NMC or NTC clauses.

I wonder how hard that makes this for them given their cap situation.

It's gotta be an all in season.... and they'd likely be trading Kucherov as a RFA to replenish their system after this season (assuming they re-sign Karlsson instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad