Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm glad I had someone tell me to watch that game.

No goaltending but some great offensive plays.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Pettersson is unbelievable. Wanted him badly in that draft, can't believe some were severely put off by his light frame.
Indeed. I was REALLY hoping we'd get lucky in the lottery or he'd fall, because he was the guy I wanted. Stick thin, but SO much skill and smarts. Was pretty much my only meaningful contribution to the draft thread!

Reactions: Filppula
Oct 18, 2006
Indeed. I was REALLY hoping we'd get lucky in the lottery or he'd fall, because he was the guy I wanted. Stick thin, but SO much skill and smarts. Was pretty much my only meaningful contribution to the draft thread!
Haha I agree, I was the same. Didn’t know much about that draft but I watched Pettersson and I knew I wanted him bad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pettersson is unbelievable. Wanted him badly in that draft, can't believe some were severely put off by his light frame.
He was my top choice as well if he had been available. Didn't think he'd do this good this quickly, mostly after looking way too weak at the WHC. But yeah he's something else.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On the Sens thing, I don't really want that posted on our board.

We can hide behind that is alright and if you guys want to challenge that with higher people on this site I get it and encourage that process. I am not a big fan of posting something like that where one/several of the party had something done to them without their knowledge. I get that it is a story, but I will probably be deleting that video any time it is posted. I hope you understand, I just think what happened there is dirty pool and would rather not play into more hits on that video.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
On the Sens thing, I don't really want that posted on our board.

We can hide behind that is alright and if you guys want to challenge that with higher people on this site I get it and encourage that process. I am not a big fan of posting something like that where one/several of the party had something done to them without their knowledge. I get that it is a story, but I will probably be deleting that video any time it is posted. I hope you understand, I just think what happened there is dirty pool and would rather not play into more hits on that video.

They got played dirty by that Uber driver for sure.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

What is Malkin supposed to do exactly? The replay seems to be slowed down (quite a bit), so it's hard to judge just how fast the puck was moving when Malkin dished it away, but he didn't go out of his way to hit Oshie. It would have been cleaner if Malkin had just kept the puck in his skates for a moment as he popped Oshie, but that's really my only quibble. If Mantha did this to someone, we'd love it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd start with not throw a shoulder at the guy's face. It was deliberate. I don't think he should get any supplemental discipline, but Oshie didn't skate into his shoulder and take a head shot on purpose, he was trying to go behind Malkin and make a play on the guy with the puck because it was a PK situation.
But in Malkin's defense Oshie is the type of player to lay a hit on Malkin in that situation, so Malkin could be thinking to brace and absorb. When I watched it live I could tell he knew where it was putting his shoulder, though.
In the end, as Oshie said after the game, "No, I don't have anything to say about the hit, we got the win and that's all that matters, I don't care about it anymore." (something along those lines)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Malkin is making a hit at all, I'm not sure how low he's expected to go to make sure he doesn't hit Oshie in the head.He didn't even get him with his shoulder but his arm. He could throw a pseudo hip check, but the refs have gotten weird about them the past few years and seem to hit them with a penalty regardless of how clean they are. I think Oshie is coming across the ice looking to play Malkin and instead Malkin turned into the aggressor. We saw datsyuk do it occasionally. Forsberg did it all of the time.

I think Oshie needs to be more aware of what's going on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Extension upwards and a history of dirty high hits is what Malkin shouldn't do.

I don't need to go wild on it, but Malkin has a history of dirty frustration outbursts. When he seems to be in one and he tries extending upwards even if significant contact is made he doesn't get the break. He basically earned the strange reaction to it over the years by how he plays frustrated. Not surprised if he doesn't get multiple games, not sure it went there, but it was dirty as is pretty much usual out of Malkin in my opinon. However, I have nothing to substantiate it but yeah I think Malkin is a guy that crosses the line enough that I don't excuse him when he is over it. Call that hatred or jealousy or whatever, but he earned that spot, I don't believe he accidentally does much after watching him for a while.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Malkin is making a hit at all, I'm not sure how low he's expected to go to make sure he doesn't hit Oshie in the head.He didn't even get him with his shoulder but his arm. He could throw a pseudo hip check, but the refs have gotten weird about them the past few years and seem to hit them with a penalty regardless of how clean they are. I think Oshie is coming across the ice looking to play Malkin and instead Malkin turned into the aggressor. We saw datsyuk do it occasionally. Forsberg did it all of the time.

I think Oshie needs to be more aware of what's going on.
I just think Malkin took advantage of a vulnerable player with a deliberate hit to the head. Oshie wasn't even looking at Malkin, he was definitely going after the puck behind him. I know a reverse hit, Oshie throws them all the time too, but Oshie wasn't going to hit Malkin. He was killing a penalty and going after the puck.
Like I said I don't think he should get anything else, it wasn't an egregious targeting penalty.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Extension upwards and a history of dirty high hits is what Malkin shouldn't do.

I don't need to go wild on it, but Malkin has a history of dirty frustration outbursts. When he seems to be in one and he tries extending upwards even if significant contact is made he doesn't get the break. He basically earned the strange reaction to it over the years by how he plays frustrated. Not surprised if he doesn't get multiple games, not sure it went there, but it was dirty as is pretty much usual out of Malkin in my opinon. However, I have nothing to substantiate it but yeah I think Malkin is a guy that crosses the line enough that I don't excuse him when he is over it. Call that hatred or jealousy or whatever, but he earned that spot, I don't believe he accidentally does much after watching him for a while.

Nah this is true, most Penguins fans know this is a thing too.

The talent is unreal, but he has those moments where he is dirty for sure.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
What are you talking about? Leafs own his rights for 7 accrued seasons or 27 years old. He will still be RFA he just won’t play this year.

Welp. I was wrong folks.

I think in the NHL games they become a UFA if they're not signed by December 1st, and that was what I was basing it on.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just think Malkin took advantage of a vulnerable player with a deliberate hit to the head. Oshie wasn't even looking at Malkin, he was definitely going after the puck behind him. I know a reverse hit, Oshie throws them all the time too, but Oshie wasn't going to hit Malkin. He was killing a penalty and going after the puck.
Like I said I don't think he should get anything else, it wasn't an egregious targeting penalty.

Oh, I definitely agree that Malkin took advantage of Oshie a bit. But I don't have a problem with it other than Malkin not timing it well enough to have the puck a bit closer. I don't think Malkin intended to hit Oshie in the head, though. He didn't have a problem with it, but I don't think he targeted his head in any specific way, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad