Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Haven't read much into pending UFA's and the speculation on where they could be heading, but do you guys think we'll push hard for Panarin?

I think this team’s goaltending is is going to scare off any available star player until they get it figured out long term.

Reactions: Christien

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Mclellan fired too, wow

I'm not sure what they expect a coach to get out of that group. hitchcock might put them into a tight enough shell that McDavid will be able to win them more 2-1 games than lose 3-4, but that roster is just weak outside of their top3.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not sure what they expect a coach to get out of that group. hitchcock might put them into a tight enough shell that McDavid will be able to win them more 2-1 games than lose 3-4, but that roster is just weak outside of their top3.
Well Chiarelli isn't going to fire himself. If they don't make the playoffs this season he's out.

Reactions: Reddwit

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
that landeskog-mackinnon-rantanen line is rediculous

feels like every time I check the box score to one of their games they have multiple points

Reactions: mantha39

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Laine is incredible, when you watch Ovechkin score you can see the power behind his shots, when Laine scores it's like he has a magic wand and the puck just ends up in the net. He makes it look so effortless.

Laine has three hat tricks this month alone...

Edit: 4 goals tonight and there's still a period to go.

Edit: 5 goals

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Everyone pitched their tents in response to NYI's draft last year but so far Wahlstrom and Dobson have been extremely underwhelming. I like wahlstrom, but ive always been iffy on Dobson. I just dont see the skill there to be a great offensive producer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Everyone pitched their tents in response to NYI's draft last year but so far Wahlstrom and Dobson have been extremely underwhelming. I like wahlstrom, but ive always been iffy on Dobson. I just dont see the skill there to be a great offensive producer.

Dobson’s team is trash. He’s really good. Can’t just look at his stat line, he’s actually been in on a very high % of his team’s goals, they just haven’t been able to score many.

Wahlstrom has been the one who has disappointing for me.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
First Panarin and now Schmaltz? Patty Kane must be pissed lol.

Though I do like this trade for Chicago... don't see a reason not to take this chance. Strome and Perlini are talented kiddos.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I'm not sold on Dobson's skill but he really does have a great head for the game. As for Wahlstrom, I thought he got to operate in the shadows a lot in Plymouth. I think both will be solid but are bigger projects than most thought.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wow, god damn. Flyers organization is so damn stupid and short sighted.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Hexstall was expected to do if he got fired for what the Flyers are. They aren't great, but their biggest issue is probably that their two vet goalies both got hurt and Calvin Pickard has been a tire fire. Most teams wouldn't be able to thrive if they had a goalie with Pickard's numbers.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Wow, god damn. Flyers organization is so damn stupid and short sighted.

No, Hextal was supposed to rebuild the Flyers. This offseason he went out and signed JVR. Terrible contract for that team that was supposed to get younger. They were going in two different directions.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
No, Hextal was supposed to rebuild the Flyers. This offseason he went out and signed JVR. Terrible contract for that team that was supposed to get younger. They were going in two different directions.

And he has been rebuilding the Flyers. Before he came in, Holmgrem left a crater. But he drafted Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Patrick, Konency, Frost, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Carter Hart who all look like NHL players of varying quality. He signed JVR because they’re expected to compete now.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

he did rebuild them. they have good nucleus of young talent, many of which he acquired. don't like the JVR deal but that alone shouldn't get anyone fired. they have 3 players on the books for long-term deals on which players are 30+ for multiple years. the other two besides JVR and voracek and giroux. 4 if you count andre macdonald but that wasn't signed by hextall. there was and is no need to rebuild any longer.

his biggest mistake was not firing hakstol, if he had the chance to do that.

edit. though hextall was pretty passive as GM. JVR is the only significant NHL player acquisition he's had. looks like he wanted to build/rebuild/whatevertermonewantstouse at his own pace and holmgren/ownership didn't like it.

from theathletic

It’s too simple to state that Hextall’s exit was the result of a refusal to fire his head coach, or any other member of the coaching staff for that matter. But Hextall’s loyalty to “his guy” surely played a role, in the sense that the other voices in the organization were clearly demanding changes and the team’s GM was unwilling to execute those changes — whether that was a coaching swap or a shake-up deal or a dip into the prospect/draft pick pipeline to make a major trade addition to the NHL roster.

disconnect with team president paul holmgren was also mentioned. and homer was anything but patient, rebuild slowly guy.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I am really interested to watch the Flyers next 12-24 months

I look at their roster and am mostly insanely jealous, no crazy bad deals outside of AMac, which is expiring summer 2020. Lehtera expiring this summer, Simmonds expiring this summer (just as his play is spiralling downwards), etc.

They will have to give Konecny and Provorov pretty steep raises this summer, but otherwise they are in the clear to bid on guys like Panarin, Karlsson, Bobrovsky, etc.

They have a young wave of NHLers filling in their middle 6 Fs and their D is all mostly pretty young, they have a very full cupboard of AHL + junior F players who look to be NHLers, still have a couple of young D prospects not in the NHL with upside.

Carter Hart is seasoning still, but the area of weakness is still goaltending as usual in Philadelphia.

I am hoping Mark Hunter gets an opportunity there. He will have a lot of resources and cap space to make his mark and the team is set up for present and future to be competitive. He could bring in his own coach and then make a couple of trades and signings as the season winds down and over the offseason.

Reactions: Winger98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad