Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This is deja vu for this Orioles fan. For years, their management team said, "uhhhh, we look at analytics" while the Yankees, Red Sox, Jays, and Rays invested heavily in data and analytics. That's changing now with the O's new regime, but the Sabres are where the Orioles were about five years ago. Adapt or die, Buffalo.

Similarly, the O's new regime identified another fault that you see with the Sabres. Their new GM talks about how you cannot foreclose any avenue for available talent. For many years, the Orioles didn't participate in the international signing market. Here in Buffalo we have a GM that seemingly won't draft Russians and, now, hasn't drafted a single Canadian junior in his two drafts (WTF?!). Murray did the same with Russians (no, Vasily Glotov in the 7th round doesn't count). You can't have these bright line rules about who you will and will not draft/sign. That's what dumb teams do. Stop being a dumb team.

I think there's a plausible argument to be made regarding what leagues are misvalued for talent. Do we really know that Botts won't draft Russians? None were selected immediately after their selections, at a minimum no one seems to be pouncing on an 'obvious bias'.

If the Sabres analytics believes CHL defenders are overvalued, I'd be interested in seeing their data, but I could believe such a narrative. Conversely I think CHL forwards are undervalued, especially if they're 5'9"-5'11".

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This is deja vu for this Orioles fan. For years, their management team said, "uhhhh, we look at analytics" while the Yankees, Red Sox, Jays, and Rays invested heavily in data and analytics. That's changing now with the O's new regime, but the Sabres are where the Orioles were about five years ago. Adapt or die, Buffalo.

Similarly, the O's new regime identified another fault that you see with the Sabres. Their new GM talks about how you cannot foreclose any avenue for available talent. For many years, the Orioles didn't participate in the international signing market. Here in Buffalo we have a GM that seemingly won't draft Russians and, now, hasn't drafted a single Canadian junior in his two drafts (WTF?!). Murray did the same with Russians (no, Vasily Glotov in the 7th round doesn't count). You can't have these bright line rules about who you will and will not draft/sign. That's what dumb teams do. Stop being a dumb team.

Sigh. This is just ridiculous that we haven't been one of the pioneers.

The new owners showed up with boatloads of money, desire to win and a science background.

And somehow we don't have one of the best analytic teams....

Nothing has made me more upset about the last 5 years than the utter lacking in long term strategy or an understanding of how to best use Pegula's resources.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Analytics are great if they are used properly.
A lot of people and companies will create an analysis to fit a narrative or a direction they want to go. It is very easy to skew the data as well to push a decision. There is a fine line when it comes to analytics. That said, spending 50 million is a terrible idea and one that could lead to the above being created.

I would think, purely opinion, a 5-10 person analytics team would easily suffice for what is being used in the NHL as well as being progressive on new solutioning.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

The new owners showed up with boatloads of money, desire to win and a science background.

Nothing has made me more upset about the last 5 years than the utter lacking in long term strategy or an understanding of how to best use Pegula's resources.

There is zero evidence that Buffalo doesn’t have good analytics at their disposal.

But it doesn’t matter if the guy at the top (Housley) doesn’t understand them or care much for them. It doesn’t matter if you have a team of master black belts telling a manager to choose option B if that manager doesn’t want option B, if he’s got his own ‘stats’ guy who will fudge the tests to always give the manager what he wants to see.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Because Pegula wants to structure and run the teams as any common business would, except sports are a completely different monster to handle. He doesn't know how to be a sports owner.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Because Pegula wants to structure and run the teams as any common business would, except sports are a completely different monster to handle. He doesn't know how to be a sports owner.

Wouldn’t a “common” business include a lot of BI?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
There is zero evidence that Buffalo doesn’t have good analytics at their disposal.

But it doesn’t matter if the guy at the top (Housley) doesn’t understand them or care much for them. It doesn’t matter if you have a team of master black belts telling a manager to choose option B if that manager doesn’t want option B, if he’s got his own ‘stats’ guy who will fudge the tests to always give the manager what he wants to see.

That’s a pretty impressive indictment of Botts, good work!

Reactions: Baccus

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Exactly, the entire benefit of having a moneybags owner is supposed to be in investing in everything that’s not capped. We should have the MIT of analytics departments AND the smokiest good ol boys club of advisors/VPs/Hockey Ops people.... instead we’ve got a lockerroom, and a cool venue for other hockey stuff

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Exactly, the entire benefit of having a moneybags owner is supposed to be in investing in everything that’s not capped. We should have the MIT of analytics departments AND the smokiest good ol boys club of advisors/VPs/Hockey Ops people.... instead we’ve got a lockerroom, and a cool venue for other hockey stuff

Mike Gillis was on local radio out here. Says they were spending so much on those extra advantages outside of the CAP that teams were writing to Bettman to accuse the Canucks of cheating. I wonder if Terry would do the same if he had the right leadership around him to show him where to invest.

Was also revealing to hear Gillis talk about how they used analytics (tactics and which wingers to play him with) to turn Kesler into an offensive weapon after 2009. Wish I could hear similar things from J Botts.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Sorry mate. I do not know what you are referring to. Just came to say I hope you make it next year. Cheers.
Sabres fans in Raleigh were plentiful and, er, boisterous, when the teams met in the 2006 ECFs. Their behavior left a bad taste in Canes fans' mouths for a long time, though I know little of the details.

Really really happy for you guys, and I hope we can join y'all next postseason as well. I've enjoyed watching the Hurricanes brand of hockey for a few years now.

Reactions: Ahoy there

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sorry mate. I do not know what you are referring to. Just came to say I hope you make it next year. Cheers.

No worries! Thanks! I may have mistakenly thought you were a hurricanes fan and at one time here there was some silly intra-fan rivalries. Best of luck going forward!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahoy there
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad