Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think there's a plausible argument to be made regarding what leagues are misvalued for talent. Do we really know that Botts won't draft Russians? None were selected immediately after their selections, at a minimum no one seems to be pouncing on an 'obvious bias'.

If the Sabres analytics believes CHL defenders are overvalued, I'd be interested in seeing their data, but I could believe such a narrative. Conversely I think CHL forwards are undervalued, especially if they're 5'9"-5'11".

Team historically use 4th+7th round picks on college and Europe players due to more than 2 yr to sign periods.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Going back to last page's analytics talk, I'm not sure it's that Phil ignores/gives the finger to the analytics.

Ted Nolan's 'the only advanced stats is effort' schtick is ignoring analytics.

I think Phil just sucks at evaluating talent. Risto's boneheaded plays and pretty much everything Vlad Sobotka are examples of bad eye-test/bad analytics, but Phil keeps doing/saying things that are clearly failing.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Going back to last page's analytics talk, I'm not sure it's that Phil ignores/gives the finger to the analytics.

Ted Nolan's 'the only advanced stats is effort' schtick is ignoring analytics.

I think Phil just sucks at evaluating talent. Risto's boneheaded plays and pretty much everything Vlad Sobotka are examples of bad eye-test/bad analytics, but Phil keeps doing/saying things that are clearly failing.

I'm not sure what Housley does with whatever data he's given/requests, but his comments and the analytics of those games don't always...lets say...'agree' that often....and the GM appears to be fine with what Housley says/does as well. It's concerning about both of them.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
They don't even use the one guy they have
Exactly, this is the issue. You can spend as much you want but if nobody listens it's worthless. They can pay me like 10k a year to browse publicly available data and give suggestions. I bet I could squeeze 15 extra points out of this season even after the ROR trade. I don't care how arrogant it sounds, anyone on this board could do it.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I think there's a plausible argument to be made regarding what leagues are misvalued for talent. Do we really know that Botts won't draft Russians? None were selected immediately after their selections, at a minimum no one seems to be pouncing on an 'obvious bias'.

If the Sabres analytics believes CHL defenders are overvalued, I'd be interested in seeing their data, but I could believe such a narrative. Conversely I think CHL forwards are undervalued, especially if they're 5'9"-5'11".
This year we will probably see if he doesn't like Russians

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Main boards are roasting EDM media over their attempt to garner acceptance over a potential Keith Gretzky fulltime hire. I’m not too familiar with him outside of the fact he is Wayne’s brother? Why all the hate for him?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Main boards are roasting EDM media over their attempt to garner acceptance over a potential Keith Gretzky fulltime hire. I’m not too familiar with him outside of the fact he is Wayne’s brother? Why all the hate for him?

Might be the fact he’s been there since 2016 assistant GM and is currently the interim GM of sorts. The fans might be of the mindset of no old faces, they need a set of fresh eyes that know what they are doing.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

What a legendary career

Bob Cole, Harry Neal, Darling, Lorenz and RJ where my hockey life blood growing up. I was a lucky guy.

I'll second that and add Danny Gallivan, Dick Irvin, Dave Hodge, and Howie Meeker to the list. I learned so much about the sport from these guys (esp. Meeker....)

And an extra shout out to John Kelley.........

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

What a legendary career

Bob Cole, Harry Neal, Darling, Lorenz and RJ where my hockey life blood growing up. I was a lucky guy.

I'm saddened by this. Bob, like RJ, has slipped in the recent years. But there is something to the calls of my youth that in disappearing makes me remarkably wistful. Bob and Harry were as fun as any pair ever calling a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad