Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Based on what's available and what we see, it seems clear the Sabres don't put any weight in advanced analytics.
Housley doesn't seem like the type of guy who relies too much on analytics, while i think Botts values them higher.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Housley doesn't seem like the type of guy who relies too much on analytics, while i think Botts values them higher.

Housley regularly coaches like a throwback - mitigates risk instead of leveraging advantages.

Botterill... who can say? He has sat on his hands when Smith or Pilut had good numbers yet Housley held them out of the lineup. If he values them, why do we not see it show up on the ice? Seems like more easy defense for the big headed one.

Reactions: Baccus

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think any interview of Housley for the position originally should have shed plenty of light on his willingness/interest in using analytical data. I mean he could pay lip service to it, but if Botts is actually a proponent on any level it would take about 5 minutes of conversation to find out if Housley/whomever actually puts weight on data vs eye test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I fixed it for you.

I just can't see McDavid being OK with a trade to Buffalo if he wants out of Edmonton.

Actually I believe McDavid would be beyond thrilled to come to Buffalo. Between himself going to many Sabres and Bills games , as well as his Billet family being Sabres fans, I think he would like it very much. Not to mention a little closer to home.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Actually I believe McDavid would be beyond thrilled to come to Buffalo. Between himself going to many Sabres and Bills games , as well as his Billet family being Sabres fans, I think he would like it very much. Not to mention a little closer to home.

Not if his reason for wanting out of Edmonton is frustration at the direction of the franchise and he wants to win.

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not if his reason for wanting out of Edmonton is frustration at the direction of the franchise and he wants to win.

I don't even think we're that far off . A competent coaching hire would do a world of difference on the main roster here. Not just on the ice, but in the room.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's the thing - at the four year mark, the Penguins with Sid were winning a Cup. McDavid's been in the playoffs once, Jack not at all and neither team looks remotely close to making it at the moment.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Yes some of the people on twitter breaking down what Housley says about shots and such seems highly concerning. Granted coach speak to the media and what not isn't gospel. But highly concerning.

Obviously you can't tell what data is given/provided versus what Housley or Botts actually use or ignore.

I think Stimpson mentioned on one of his podcasts that when he came to the Athletic he tried to contact the Sabres (apparently one and only) analytics persons that's listed and was told no. Not unusual, but it's not like they couldn't talk generalities.

With the oncoming player tracking stuff, it's pretty concerning that the Sabres will not only be behind, but be behind for years.

There was an interesting Athletic article on the Yankees and how much they and other MLB teams spend on analytics and how far ahead certain teams are. It's not something you can just magically catch up on either.

Stimpson is an embarrassment to analytics. He just has an audience.

Buffalo has a PhD in Math, former D1 hockey player running their analytics team. They don't need the advice from these hacks who delve into Rsq=0.03 pretending they have something

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's the thing - at the four year mark, the Penguins with Sid were winning a Cup. McDavid's been in the playoffs once, Jack not at all and neither team looks remotely close to making it at the moment.

It's often underappreciated how big a role Mario played in Sid/Malkin. These new young superstars almost never get to come to a team with a bonafide legend to revere and learn from.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's often underappreciated how big a role Mario played in Sid/Malkin. These new young superstars almost never get to come to a team with a bonafide legend to revere and learn from.

It's all okay, Jack had the Ice Cream Man to room with.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
Stimpson is an embarrassment to analytics. He just has an audience.

Buffalo has a PhD in Math, former D1 hockey player running their analytics team. They don't need the advice from these hacks who delve into Rsq=0.03 pretending they have something

Thanks for the hot take on Stimpson. I'm sure I'll take your word for it, you come across very reasonably.

I never said the Sabres analytics person should get advice or anything else from him or anybody else, I said there's basically no reason not to talk to the media at least in generalities about what if anything they are doing. Because what they are doing does not seem to be showing up on the ice at all, or in what the coach says about the team.

You also have no idea if it's one dude or an actual team which would be a good question if they responded to any media inquiries. There's a massive influx of data coming next year, it would be nice to know if they were up to speed, even if it's just general blather.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yes some of the people on twitter breaking down what Housley says about shots and such seems highly concerning. Granted coach speak to the media and what not isn't gospel. But highly concerning.

Obviously you can't tell what data is given/provided versus what Housley or Botts actually use or ignore.

I think Stimpson mentioned on one of his podcasts that when he came to the Athletic he tried to contact the Sabres (apparently one and only) analytics persons that's listed and was told no. Not unusual, but it's not like they couldn't talk generalities.

With the oncoming player tracking stuff, it's pretty concerning that the Sabres will not only be behind, but be behind for years.

There was an interesting Athletic article on the Yankees and how much they and other MLB teams spend on analytics and how far ahead certain teams are. It's not something you can just magically catch up on either.

Terry Pegula is very analytical. :D

Pegulas a diverse family with many interests
For one, he's incredibly smart but has only the barest knowledge of computers. He doesn't do e-mail, can't use a mouse with any proficiency, or even scroll down a computer screen.
It's not that he can't figure it out, Michael explained. He's just not interested.
"He's an engineer at heart, so he's very analytical," he said.
He's not a gadget guy. His "personal digital assistant" is an 11-by-17 inch leather-bound book, with all the contacts and phone numbers he needs listed in alphabetical order, Kim said. The phone numbers he needs most, he's memorized.
He did finally break down and learn how to text from his phone, primarily because that's the easiest way for him to stay in touch with his family.
He refuses to use a GPS but can plot the shortest distance between two points on any map – accounting for traffic signal delays – and will argue with his kids if they try to take what he considers "the long way.

Reactions: Dingo44

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
How can somebody not be able to use a mouse?

That thing reads like "oh he's a genius! he just can't walk in a straight line because he's thinking of other stuff!"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How can somebody not be able to use a mouse?

In a former life, I was training people prior to the Y2K thing and one of the guys I was working with actually picked the mouse up off the pad and put it to the screen when I said to move it to a location on screen. It was then that I got super-super basic on how-to communications for all things tech.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Phail has mentioned analytics plenty of times in interviews. My question is what the hell kind of analytics are they using? On more than one occasion, Housley has referenced Sabres stats saying we matched or even out-chanced opponents in games where we very clearly did not (and where the publicly available versions of those metrics vehemently disagree with what Phil is saying).

Like, who are our stat people, and why are they either dumb or sugar-coating this stuff?

Edit: Phail was obviously a typo, but I like it, and I'm leaving it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
Terry refuses to learn how to use automatic doors.

PYg1SOv.gif

Reactions: MrMaster

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for the hot take on Stimpson. I'm sure I'll take your word for it, you come across very reasonably.

I never said the Sabres analytics person should get advice or anything else from him or anybody else, I said there's basically no reason not to talk to the media at least in generalities about what if anything they are doing. Because what they are doing does not seem to be showing up on the ice at all, or in what the coach says about the team.

You also have no idea if it's one dude or an actual team which would be a good question if they responded to any media inquiries. There's a massive influx of data coming next year, it would be nice to know if they were up to speed, even if it's just general blather.
I read all of their presentations from their meeting last year. They would get me fired if I presented the same quality of work wrt the statistical tools and conclusions made.

Phil has mentioned analytics in nearly all of his interviews. It is out in front of them. But analytics are just that-- and ultimately it is on the coaches to take actions on conclusions from them, not the analytics department. In my job day to day I will see wildly different opinions coming from the same, sound statistical argument daily. Some people are good at ignoring their biases, and others really aren't. I'd give the PhD in math the benefit of the doubt that it's the coaching staff that's not making the right actions from his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad