Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Can't fault his reasoning.

computers-replace-paper-try-wiping-your-ass-with-a-laptop.jpg

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Let's get him to try them / use them before we worry about relying on them. Housley treats analytics with a fear akin to risk of opioid addiction from consuming one pill.
I don't believe Housley understands and knows how to use analytics. There's probably a lot of other coaches in the same boat. It's like illiteracy. No one is going to come out and say they can't read if they can get by with faking it. Maybe what he needs is someone to show him the analytics and explain what each chart means.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Didn't anyone read the leaked NHL emails from a few years? They were barely coherent.

A bunch of jokes aren't predisposed to liking analytics. That's stuff nerds did in highschool.

It took a bunch of filthy rich stock brokers buying access to MLB teams to show how it can work.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I'd give the PhD in math the benefit of the doubt that it's the coaching staff that's not making the right actions from his work.

I don't see any reason to give anybody in management of this organization the benefit of the doubt.

People specifically have mentioned stats Housley spouts off post-game that don't match the public analytics of games. Perhaps he's just making stuff up, perhaps they are looking at very different data.

Which is why I said talking to the media, even in generalities might be a good and useful thing.

But if you feel all is well just because of somebody having a PhD, good for you.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't see any reason to give anybody in management of this organization the benefit of the doubt.

People specifically have mentioned stats Housley spouts off post-game that don't match the public analytics of games. Perhaps he's just making stuff up, perhaps they are looking at very different data.

Which is why I said talking to the media, even in generalities might be a good and useful thing.

But if you feel all is well just because of somebody having a PhD, good for you.

Funny thing about PhD's... There are two of them in one department here on campus who basically don't ever go to the same events because they get into it with one another so much that they likely will come to blows. The diametrically opposed one another on more than one topic, including grad students.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Funny thing about PhD's... There are two of them in one department here on campus who basically don't ever go to the same events because they get into it with one another so much that they likely will come to blows. The diametrically opposed one another on more than one topic, including grad students.

Sounds like the next version of Bum Fights.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I wasn't trying to be insensitive nor equating the two, apologies if I came across the wrong way. (I didn't think you took it that way; stating instead for the general board.)
It was funny, but all the opioid addicts I know started with one pill. Gives us some hope that Phil will be hooked if someone introduces him to analytics. What’s the gatewaydrug to analytics? Googling ”what is corsi”? +-?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was funny, but all the opioid addicts I know started with one pill. Gives us some hope that Phil will be hooked if someone introduces him to analytics. What’s the gatewaydrug to analytics? Googling ”what is corsi”? +-?

"High danger shots and you, a primer"?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wow, 10 minutes into the 1st period and the Blues had scored 5 goals on 9 shots while the Flyers had scored 2 goals on 7 shots.

7 goals on 17 shots 10 minutes into a game is all time horrific goaltending.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Went to Avs-Jets tonight. Some thoughts:

-Man, great atmosphere. After Winnipeg's first goal stood after replay, on a call that was questionable and roundly booed in the arena, the crowd immediately got even louder and behind the Avs. In Buffalo, it would've become a morgue. Loud. Great game presentation. Engaged crowd.

Player-specific thoughts:

Tyson Barrie - Would give a body part to have him on the Sabres. Seriously, a body part. How did no team trade for this guy when he was rumored to be available a couple years ago.

Sam Girard - Smooth. He's going to be really, really good.

Tyson Jost - Solid defensively. Good hockey sense. Just seems to be a half a step too slow in the offensive zone.

Ian Cole - What a terrible hockey player.

Patrick Laine - He was a bum. Dangerous shot, obviously. But he's a passenger. He's so unnoticeable when he's not shooting. 9 goals in his last 56 games? I wouldn't blame Winnipeg if they offered him straight up for an elite player. Chevy should call Jersey and offer him straight across for Taylor Hall if he feels like he could re-sign Hall.

Kyle Connor - Aside from MacKinnon, he was the most noticeable player. High activity. Great IQ. Always seems to be getting to dangerous places.

Bryan Little - Considering that I didn't realize he was playing until 7 minutes remained in the 3rd period, probably not a good night for him.

Kevin Hayes - Good PKer. Good in his own zone. But some team is really going to regret giving him six or seven years at $6.5m+.

Nate Beaulieu - Didn't notice him. Probably a good thing for a guy who seemed to not be playing much

Tyler Myers - Not gonna lie, I'd probably take him back if we could keep the deal around 5 years (assuming we move Risto out).

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’m not convinced our analytics department provides any input that Botts or Phil actually use.

See: Sobotka

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not convinced our analytics department provides any input that Botts or Phil actually use.

See: Sobotka

You’re assuming they would be using the analytics to WIN. If one was to use analytics to help understand the more likely situation that they would lose, I believe that how Housley has handled the bench, is evidence of the correct way to do it.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You’re assuming they would be using the analytics to WIN. If one was to use analytics to help understand the more likely situation that they would lose, I believe that how Housley has handled the bench, is evidence of the correct way to do it.

I refuse to believe any tanking concepts for any season but 2015. This root cause is stupidity, not calculation.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Of course the will. Buffalo’s one guy might want some help.

This is deja vu for this Orioles fan. For years, their management team said, "uhhhh, we look at analytics" while the Yankees, Red Sox, Jays, and Rays invested heavily in data and analytics. That's changing now with the O's new regime, but the Sabres are where the Orioles were about five years ago. Adapt or die, Buffalo.

Similarly, the O's new regime identified another fault that you see with the Sabres. Their new GM talks about how you cannot foreclose any avenue for available talent. For many years, the Orioles didn't participate in the international signing market. Here in Buffalo we have a GM that seemingly won't draft Russians and, now, hasn't drafted a single Canadian junior in his two drafts (WTF?!). Murray did the same with Russians (no, Vasily Glotov in the 7th round doesn't count). You can't have these bright line rules about who you will and will not draft/sign. That's what dumb teams do. Stop being a dumb team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad