Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oilers fire GM, president of hockey operations Peter Chiarelli - Sportsnet.ca

Only one person can truly answer as to why Spooner is here. Or why the Oilers relieved Chicago GM Stan Bowman of his biggest mistake from last summer — the Brandon Manning contract. Or why Drake Caggiula was dealt away for Manning. Or why 20-year-old prospects Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto are having their souls crushed nightly in Edmonton, rather than being properly developed in AHL Bakersfield.

And that man has done his last interview as the Oilers GM. Or as a GM of any NHL team, we’d wager.

It's too bad that Botts couldn't have pulled off a deal with Chia that landed one or both of them...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What goalie has done that for the last 5 years? Consistently year in and year out.

Vasilevski, Gibson. We are kinda at a changing of the guard where guys like Price/Lundqvist/Luongo/Quick who were always elite goalies have kinda fallen off because of age. But, having one of those guys in their prime always gave there teams the chance to win.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think UPL is probably the only one with franchise potential. Hutton is probably a low end starter, Ullmark could probably be a mid range starter.

I don’t think you’d ever have a chance to win a cup with Hutton as the guy.

So we have a low end starter /great backup. A young mid tier starter plus a guy in the system with franchise goalie potential... Sounds like a good situation to me.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Vasilevski, Gibson. We are kinda at a changing of the guard where guys like Price/Lundqvist/Luongo/Quick who were always elite goalies have kinda fallen off because of age. But, having one of those guys in their prime always gave there teams the chance to win.

I’m not sure I would agree on either guy. Gibson sort of has a resume, but neither has shown to be the Roy, Hasek or Brodeur of the future

But that’s kind of my point. The league isn’t built around those guys, because the depth of talent is huge now in net, and system defense covers a lot of the gap.

I mean realistically, 80% of goalies in the league can have a hot streak or put together elite play for a few months at a time.

Consider this. What would Ulmark’s numbers look like if you switched him with Vasy?

Can you honestly say that there would be much of a difference at all?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’m not sure I would agree on either guy. Gibson sort of has a resume, but neither has shown to be the Roy, Hasek or Brodeur of the future

But that’s kind of my point. The league isn’t built around those guys, because the depth of talent is huge now in net, and system defense covers a lot of the gap.

I mean realistically, 80% of goalies in the league can have a hot streak or put together elite play for a few months at a time.

Consider this. What would Ulmark’s numbers look like if you switched him with Vasy?

Can you honestly say that there would be much of a difference at all?

I like Ullmark, Vasilevski is clearly a far superior goalie. I don’t really care what it would look like if they switched teams.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Anybody else rooting for matthews and marner to score each night? Really make it difficult for Toronto sign both for decent contracts

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I doubt Leafs fans care about what the Islanders do
They cared enough to do nonstop trolling on the main board, the Isles board and all over the internet. They did nothing but taunt and mock those fans and how losing Captain Pajamas was going to make them worse than Ottawa. I love seeing schoolyard bullies get punched right in the face and have to eat crap.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You have no idea just how angry and disgusted I am seeing the Habs begining to run away with a playoff spot. Their roster is in no way better than ours and they have no forward even close to as good as Jack or Skinner. What they do have is a really good coach. Meanwhile we continue to employ by far the worst coach in the league, a guy who is in completely over his head, a guy who takes the talent he has been given and manages to utilize them in a way that gets as little value out of them as possible, a guy who is completely incapable of making in game adjustments so that if a team has us figured out in the first period the game is pretty much done and a guy who if there was a WAR for coaches would have a negative number about as large as the positive one Barry Trotz has. Seeing us throw a playoff spot straight into the garbage just makes me sick. The fans of this team deserve so much better than this total nonsense.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You have no idea just how angry and disgusted I am seeing the Habs begining to run away with a playoff spot. Their roster is in no way better than ours and they have no forward even close to as good as Jack or Skinner. What they do have is a really good coach. Meanwhile we continue to employ by far the worst coach in the league, a guy who is in completely over his head, a guy who takes the talent he has been given and manages to utilize them in a way that gets as little value out of them as possible, a guy who is completely incapable of making in game adjustments so that if a team has us figured out in the first period the game is pretty much done and a guy who if there was a WAR for coaches would have a negative number about as large as the positive one Barry Trotz has. Seeing us throw a playoff spot straight into the garbage just makes me sick. The fans of this team deserve so much better than this total nonsense.

Amazing to think the Habs fired Therrien at a time when they were 31-19-8 for no better reason than a huge upgrade became available to them. Could you see Buffalo firing its coach if it had a similar record? Never. Meanwhile, we're likely going to give Housley the start of another season in 2019-20 because of a single 10-game sample surrounded by 154 games of turd sandwich.

Reactions: sabremike

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Housley isn't the worst coach in the league. He is however, not the coach needed for this team. He doesn't have that leader of men type quality. It never seems like the guys play a full 60 for him.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I like Ullmark, Vasilevski is clearly a far superior goalie. I don’t really care what it would look like if they switched teams.

I mean, you kind of have to care if your point has any value, no?

I mean if we want to argue the finer points of elite technical ability or athleticism or style points, I’m positive I don’t know enough at the professional to have an opinion.

But for the purposes of the value a goalie gives to a team, it seems to matter if that technical ability/style translates to more wins.

So forget about Ulmark doing something in Tampa, how many more wins does Vasy or Gibson provide the Sabres if we switched them with Hutton and Ulmark?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
They cared enough to do nonstop trolling on the main board, the Isles board and all over the internet. They did nothing but taunt and mock those fans and how losing Captain Pajamas was going to make them worse than Ottawa. I love seeing schoolyard bullies get punched right in the face and have to eat crap.
That's just how they act always though, I don't think the success of the Islanders will faze them at all.

We'd need the Islanders to beat them in a playoff series, particularly this spring.

Reactions: sabremike

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Vasilevskiy is an average goalie propped up by a stacked team in front of him. Ben Bishop 2.0

And that's how you build a great team.

Gibson is insanely good though.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Amazing to think the Habs fired Therrien at a time when they were 31-19-8 for no better reason than a huge upgrade became available to them. Could you see Buffalo firing its coach if it had a similar record? Never. Meanwhile, we're likely going to give Housley the start of another season in 2019-20 because of a single 10-game sample surrounded by 154 games of turd sandwich.

Different expectations among franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad