Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I've been saying this for years, the media here is as tough on athletes as anywhere in the Country, not to mention they're just generally bad at their jobs. When it comes to negative sports coverage I used to think it was Philly and then everyone else, but at some point over the last 20 years we've probably become as bad as them. At least some portion of the fan base wants to run the bad players, good players, coaches, managers, and even owners out of town. And somewhere, you'll find a prominent member of the media that supports this concept.

It's one of the reasons I fell in love with college sports, you cheer for your school and that's it. If you have 1 win in a long season, you cheer for a 2nd win. When your players are young, you hope for progression. When your players are ready to graduate, you pull for the next kids in line. If you have a kid that doesn't cut it, you still cheer for him because he's part of the family.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I've been saying this for years, the media here is as tough on athletes as anywhere in the Country, not to mention they're just generally bad at their jobs. When it comes to negative sports coverage I used to think it was Philly and then everyone else, but at some point over the last 20 years we've probably become as bad as them. At least some portion of the fan base wants to run the bad players, good players, coaches, managers, and even owners out of town. And somewhere, you'll find a prominent member of the media that supports this concept.

It's one of the reasons I fell in love with college sports, you cheer for your school and that's it. If you have 1 win in a long season, you cheer for a 2nd win. When your players are young, you hope for progression. When your players are ready to graduate, you pull for the next kids in line. If you have a kid that doesn't cut it, you still cheer for him because he's part of the family.

Jim Kelley is rolling over in his grave at today's media.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Haha I'm not sure who you follow in college sports, but coverage of student/athletes is brutal often.

I find our media is lazy and generally rough on players, while generally being way easier on coaches and management than bigger cities.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Haha I'm not sure who you follow in college sports, but coverage of student/athletes is brutal often.

I find our media is lazy and generally rough on players, while generally being way easier on coaches and management than bigger cities.

ha, yeah that's true, there are some crazies out in the college world too, especially in the SEC football world. I'm a PSU guy, perhaps the controversies brought that community more together than other situations... I guess I tend to find that the older fans are more patient, the kids are rabid no matter what (likely due to being drunk), and the media outlets take each season for what it is, outside of the few oddballs that think crazy thoughts like Saban isn't a good coach.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Except for the company organs the media here is antagonistic towards players in a way you don’t see elsewhere.

I lived in Boston during chicken-gate the great Red Sox collapse. They tore into the team for that in a way which would be typical coverage here.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Rangers tie it up, man they are a mess though just huge mistakes after mistake it's gonna be tough to be worse than them.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
To many journalists try and push their own agendas for my liking. Guys like Harrington are just impossible to respect. I bet there's not a single colleague who'd wanna go for a beer with that guy.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
7 x $5.85m for Nick Schmaltz in Arizona. People might want to start getting comfortable with the first number of Sam’s next deal being 7.

Came here to post almost this exact same thing, I wouldn't even be surprised if it started with 8...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, Sam can get that from some other team.

8+ for a player who cannot create any offense on his own? No f***ing way. Sorry, one dimensional slow wingers who can't score more then 25 goals in a season and produce on their own are not getting 8+. The Sabres are not giving Sam f***ing Reinhart 8 mil. the love affair with him is hilarious around here.

Just because the Coyotes totally overpaid Schmaltz does not mean we need to. If Larkin got 6 per less then a year ago then Reinhart is not getting any more period.

It's funny, when Eichel and Skinner get cold notice how Sam does too? :laugh: If he is an 8 mil player he wouldn't be tied to the hip production wise to 53+9. But he is because he has to be carried period.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

8+ for a player who cannot create any offense on his own? No ****ing way. Sorry, one dimensional slow wingers who can't score more then 25 goals in a season and produce on their own are not getting 8+. The Sabres are not giving Sam ****ing Reinhart 8 mil. the love affair with him is hilarious around here.

Just because the Coyotes totally overpaid Schmaltz does not mean we need to. If Larkin got 6 per less then a year ago then Reinhart is not getting any more period.

It's funny, when Eichel and Skinner get cold notice how Sam does too? :laugh: If he is an 8 mil player he wouldn't be tied to the hip production wise to 53+9. But he is because he has to be carried period.
Please don't go back to the laughing emoji thing. They make your posts from last summer look even worse than the content alone does.

And Sam can create offense on his own. Particularly since 2019 started, he's been a better driver of play by my eye without Jack than he is with him.

And the poster said "7", not "8."

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

8+ for a player who cannot create any offense on his own? No ****ing way. Sorry, one dimensional slow wingers who can't score more then 25 goals in a season and produce on their own are not getting 8+. The Sabres are not giving Sam ****ing Reinhart 8 mil. the love affair with him is hilarious around here.

Sam has been scoring recently and was away from Eichel and Skinner too.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
The ducks are up 4-0 in the 2nd intermission. Safe to say we can't catch them. Locked in the top 6 for the lottery.

If Detroit wins next game and we lose, who has the tiebreaker?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Then I guess our genius GM should have signed Reinhart long-term less than a year ago, except he screwed up when he traded our second-best player for cap dumps that left no space.

The rest isn't worth getting into. Everyone knows Sam is as good or better away from Eichel.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Among the Wild Card teams in play, whom do people want to be in (or out) and why?

In the East, I'm assuming PIT is in as they have a home and home with DET, then close out with NYR so they likely won't be caught by CBJ, CAR, MTL. So among those latter three, what's your sentiment?

Out West, some of the Central Division order can shuffle still, but it looks bleak for MIN as they host WPG and BOS, then go on road vs. DAL to end season. I can't see both COL & ARI faltering enough that MIN makes it. DAL only need 1 point to clinch at least a Wild Card. So between COL & ARI, whom do people want / think deserves it?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Among the Wild Card teams in play, whom do people want to be in (or out) and why?

In the East, I'm assuming PIT is in as they have a home and home with DET, then close out with NYR so they likely won't be caught by CBJ, CAR, MTL. So among those latter three, what's your sentiment?

Out West, some of the Central Division order can shuffle still, but it looks bleak for MIN as they host WPG and BOS, then go on road vs. DAL to end season. I can't see both COL & ARI faltering enough that MIN makes it. DAL only need 1 point to clinch at least a Wild Card. So between COL & ARI, whom do people want / think deserves it?

East: Hope CBJ makes it and wins at least a round, and whichever one of CAR/MTL gets in loses round 1.

West: I want to see the Yotes get in so there's more egg on Botts' face when he talks about how we should be happy with the team's progress this year.

js31

Aug 2, 2005
Nico Sturm signed with the Minnesota Wild...A bit disappointed. Thought he would have been a great add as a potential big, two-way, defensive 3rd line Center that we are solely lacking right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad