Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
The f***ing Blues are rocking the wild. That trade just keeps looking worse and worse. Could we really not have gotten more for ROR? That 1st will be between 24-30

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20190217_173116_Burst01.jpg

TAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: #GiraffeArmy

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

I thought dump and chase wasn’t viable anymore because of math equations and stuff. :sarcasm:

I always thought dump and chase was a symptom and not a problem of Bylsma's issues. Having his forwards sit still at the opposing blue line, while our D, in their own faceoff circles, whips pucks up to them for them to deflect in and then chase after from a dead stop, was the problem. And that teams quickly figured out that was our preferred transition method and sat on it.

Obviously you are more successful at retaining possession and thus scoring goals if you carry the puck in, but that sample size is only comprised of situations where the option to skate into the zone relatively unimpeded presents itself. Often the dump-in is a superior option, because no passing options are available and no open ice is there to skate into. It's good to be good at getting those pucks back, with all forwards on the same page with a full head of steam, to take care of all of the situations in which carrying the puck is a non-starter.

And then having a guy like Barzal for the controlled zone entries on top of that is pretty damn handy as well.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I always thought dump and chase was a symptom and not a problem of Bylsma's issues. Having his forwards sit still at the opposing blue line, while our D, in their own faceoff circles, whips pucks up to them for them to deflect in and then chase after from a dead stop, was the problem. And that teams quickly figured out that was our preferred transition method and sat on it.

Obviously you are more successful at retaining possession and thus scoring goals if you carry the puck in, but that sample size is only comprised of situations where the option to skate into the zone relatively unimpeded presents itself. Often the dump-in is a superior option, because no passing options are available and no open ice is there to skate into. It's good to be good at getting those pucks back, with all forwards on the same page with a full head of steam, to take care of all of the situations in which carrying the puck is a non-starter.

And then having a guy like Barzal for the controlled zone entries on top of that is pretty damn handy as well.
Also dump and chase is very effective when you have a Clutterbuck-Czizikas-Martin line as well.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Girgensons-Larsson dumps and chases just fine.

Eichel can chase and retrieve better than most.

But nobody else on this team can do this at all. Seriously, they’re all awful at it.

Beyond the fourth line that would be a terrible strategy for this team.

Their problem isn’t gaining the zone. It’s getting the puck to the slot when they’re in it.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Buddy of mine at Hawks/Sens tonight just text me to say he met a guy there who claims to be one of our scouts.

Also, that game is a gong show right now. It's hilarious haha.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Buddy of mine at Hawks/Sens tonight just text me to say he met a guy there who claims to be one of our scouts.

I googled "NHL scores" and saw 7-5, and my eyes popped. Then I saw "2:30 2nd period" and they popped even more.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Debrincat with a hatty to.
Did both the goalies get pulled? Did I read that right on twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad