Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
how do you know league scoring is way up? Sean Monahan is very likely getting 95 points this season. This is going to be a career year for so many players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
https://www.tsn.ca/huberdeau-on-trade-bait-it-s-a-rumour-1.1256987

Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau debuted on the TSN Trade Bait list at No. 20 on Monday, with TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli speculating he "could potentially be a part" of the Panthers landing Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Huberdeau has 13 goals this season and is on pace for career-highs in both assists and points with 39 helpers and 52 points through 55 games. The 25-year-old is in the second season of a six-year, $35.4 million contract with the Panthers and is without trade protection until July 1, when a full no-move clause kicks in.

He told The Athletic on Tuesday he wants to stay in Florida and said he's keeping his focus on the ice for the time being.

“Obviously, I want to stay here my whole career but I can’t control things. I’m just going to play,” Huberdeau said.

“It’s a rumour, we don’t know if it’s true. I’m just going to play here for now. We’re trying to make a push for the playoffs and I am going to do everything I can. We’ll see what happens.

“You can’t do anything about it, just play hockey. Just play the game.”

Huberdeau, 25, has spent his entire career with the Panthers since being drafted third overall in the 2011 NHL Draft. He carries a $5.9 million cap hit on his contract, equal with Aleksander Barkov for the highest among Panthers forwards.

I wonder what the team is telling him.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Seems questionable with Hart there, but it's the Flyers' goalie parade continuing perhaps.

Elliot and Neuvirth have worn out their welcome with the constant injuries, and Stolarz looks like he's topping out as an AHL goaltender at this point. They're looking for a reliable backup at worst, 1B to shoulder some of the load at best.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah Elliots about to begin a conditioning assignment at LHV, no guarantees he'll be even serviceable going forward. Need a vet to go with Hart.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pretty sure Hart and Talbot are buddies

Oilers' Keith Gretzky looking at multiple avenues to move contracts - Sportsnet.ca

The talk on Thursday had Gretzky dealing goalie Cam Talbot to the Philadelphia Flyers for a cheaper goalie, and solving his cap issue that way. We’re not sure why Philly, which has Carter Hart, Anthony Stolarz, Mike McKenna, Brian Elliott (long-term injury), and Michael Neuvirth (injured reserve) under contract, needs another goalie. But where there’s smoke…

Word is that Hart is wearing down in his first NHL season and needs a healthy backup, and Hart has a relationship with Talbot, having trained together in the summer. Hart called Talbot the night before his first NHL start, and the pair would make a good veteran-rookie tandem next season, with Talbot becoming a free agent on July 1.

My guess is that it might be Talbot for McKenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad