Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Except for Nylander not getting close to 138 games nhl experience.

Given that PoolParty hasn't done much in those 138 games, that wouldn't add much trade value.

The fact that PoolParty was drafted ahead of Nylander and has better AHL stats might, though.

My guess is that if he moves, the Oilers might need to have him be the sweetener to unload a contract.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Goaltending is almost always the most important factor in a teams long term success. Blues would be bottom feeders if this kid didn't come up and save their season. At least so far.

The skaters turned around their play right around the time Binny came up, he's been great but they're playing lights out in front of him too.

They've out shot 21 of the last 22 opponents so they actually have been playing well for a while now and are finally getting the goaltending to match.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The skaters turned around their play right around the time Binny came up, he's been great but they're playing lights out in front of him too.

They've out shot 21 of the last 22 opponents so they actually have been playing well for a while now and are finally getting the goaltending to match.
The Blues had one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL. They are now getting unreal goaltending from a kid. So yes goaltending is a huge reason for the turn around and that kid saved their season. Unless you're looking to make the crazy argument that Allen/Johnson would have gotten the same results in those 13gms because the team was playing better.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
The Blues had one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL. They are now getting unreal goaltending from a kid. So yes goaltending is a huge reason for the turn around and that kid saved their season. Unless you're looking to make the crazy argument that Allen/Johnson would have gotten the same results in those 13gms because the team was playing better.

He was the spark no doubt josh. My point is that he isn't the only reason they're flat out dominating teams. Look at the underlying #'s and you'll see this team was already showing signs that its results could be much better if they got quality tending.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He was the spark no doubt josh. My point is that he isn't the only reason they're flat out dominating teams. Look at the underlying #'s and you'll see this team was already showing signs that its results could be much better if they got quality tending.

I'm well aware the Blues have been playing great team hockey for some time. I'm also well aware of what a dumpster fire the goalie tandem of Allen/Johnson was. There is no way in hell the Blues go 11-1-1 in the 13 games Binnington started if they were the goalies. Thus my point about him saving their season.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Given that PoolParty hasn't done much in those 138 games, that wouldn't add much trade value.

The fact that PoolParty was drafted ahead of Nylander and has better AHL stats might, though.

My guess is that if he moves, the Oilers might need to have him be the sweetener to unload a contract.
that was my point that we have seen 140 games from poolparty and nylander hasnt even come close to that much nhl time so i dont think he has less value then PP

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I'm well aware the Blues have been playing great team hockey for some time. I'm also well aware of what a dumpster fire the goalie tandem of Allen/Johnson was. There is no way in hell the Blues go 11-1-1 in the 13 games Binnington started if they were the goalies. Thus my point about him saving their season.

Agreed, he really did.

Reactions: joshjull

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Except for Nylander not getting close to 138 games nhl experience.
I’m not sure if that’s a positive or not. It’s actually one of the things that makes me hesitate in wanting to trade Nylander for Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi’s entry level contract expires after this year and he loses his waiver wire exempt status when he hits 160 NHL games played (22 more games).

Nylander’s ELF just kicked in this year (it slid the last 2 seasons) and has only played 7 NHL games. So he is nowhere near losing his waiver exempt status yet, and still has 2 years left on his ELC before needing a new contract (which I also believes he has more RFA years of team control left. After this season i believe it’s 4 more years for JP and 6 more years for Nylander)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd do Pulju for Nylander. I think the most likely outcome for the players involved is Pulju being an an above-average mid-line player. I don't think Nylander has a great ceiling, and I'm concerned about what his floor may be.

I would too. The problem is Edmonton.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I’m not sure if that’s a positive or not. It’s actually one of the things that makes me hesitate in wanting to trade Nylander for Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi’s entry level contract expires after this year and he loses his waiver wire exempt status when he hits 160 NHL games played (22 more games).

Nylander’s ELF just kicked in this year (it slid the last 2 seasons) and has only played 7 NHL games. So he is nowhere near losing his waiver exempt status yet, and still has 2 years left on his ELC before needing a new contract (which I also believes he has more RFA years of team control left. After this season i believe it’s 4 more years for JP and 6 more years for Nylander)
I meant it as a negative for JP, still have a little more hope for Nylander.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad