Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Also Poile is a guy that gets compared to our GM at times by hockey insiders, they are pretty similar guys in my opinion.

Look at the trades Poile has made over the last 5 years. Poile gets mislabeled as conservative when he's really not. If you look at the difference in how the two guys trade,it's night and day.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think he has had a wonderful career and he has had a different set of circumstances. But I mean I think it is worth pointing out while he has consistently built playoff teams, he hasn't actually had ultimate success.

Poile's never had a blank cheque like Holland. A guy taking a budget team to the playoffs more years than not is an achievement on its own. The only years Holland was better than Poile were the ones he was winning Cups, and again, blank cheques were a huge part of that (as well as an extreme stroke of luck in D and Z that will not be reproduced). Post-cap era, it's not even a contest between the two. Poile's done a much better job of team-building, both in terms of personnel and cap management.

Also Poile is a guy that gets compared to our GM at times by hockey insiders, they are pretty similar guys in my opinion.

And just to echo Frk It here, Poile's done so much more with so much less at his disposal than Holland. Poile doesn't sit on his hands, whereas that seems to be Holland's default.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Poile's never had a blank cheque like Holland. A guy taking a budget team to the playoffs more years than not is an achievement on its own. The only years Holland was better than Poile were the ones he was winning Cups, and again, blank cheques were a huge part of that (as well as an extreme stroke of luck in D and Z that will not be reproduced). Post-cap era, it's not even a contest between the two. Poile's done a much better job of team-building, both in terms of personnel and cap management. And just to echo Frk It here, Poile's done so much more with so much less at his disposal than Holland. Poile doesn't sit on his hands, whereas that seems to be Holland's default.

So Poile getting Weber, Josi and Rinne isn't a stroke of luck, too? He dealt two-time Stanley Cup winner Patrick Hornqvist for James Neal, who he then decided to let go to Vegas for free. Poile's cap management won't look so good if Weber ever decides to retire early, either.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Smith tricked them with his ungodly playoff performance... again. He is amazing in the playoffs and horrible in the regular season.

NYR should never have signed him, or at least for like half that much money.

I am so glad Smith is off the team. He was worse than Marchenko back when i was doing my scoring system.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Smith tricked them with his ungodly playoff performance... again. He is amazing in the playoffs and horrible in the regular season.

NYR should never have signed him, or at least for like half that much money.

I am so glad Smith is off the team. He was worse than Marchenko back when i was doing my scoring system.

Good thing Smith turned down the Wings multi year contract.

Reactions: Bench and BinCookin

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good thing Smith turned down the Wings multi year contract.

After New York fans were so happy with Smith after the trade it really made me question if the Wings coaching is struggling to get anything out of our blueline. Then he falls back to his normal level we saw and maybe it's just Smith. Like, he can elevate his game, but for how long? Never long, it seems.

Reactions: Winger98

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
After New York fans were so happy with Smith after the trade it really made me question if the Wings coaching is struggling to get anything out of our blueline. Then he falls back to his normal level we saw and maybe it's just Smith. Like, he can elevate his game, but for how long? Never long, it seems.

smith has always been/always will be a player with tools and no toolbox. The wings management got some dumb luck when smith turned down their offer that they never should have given to him in the first place.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
So Poile getting Weber, Josi and Rinne isn't a stroke of luck, too? He dealt two-time Stanley Cup winner Patrick Hornqvist for James Neal, who he then decided to let go to Vegas for free. Poile's cap management won't look so good if Weber ever decides to retire early, either.

Poile didn't really have much choice with the Weber contract.

It was either match Philly's monstrously front loaded offersheet or take whatever the compensation was back then.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Remember when people were comparing the Bolts to Detroit last year as far as missing the playoffs and were saying Yzerman was turrible? This may be the year, they are looking like a juggernaut.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Remember when people were comparing the Bolts to Detroit last year as far as missing the playoffs and were saying Yzerman was turrible? This may be the year, they are looking like a juggernaut.
This is the tampa team that we should have seen last season if they hadn't had all the injuries. Kind of annoyed that it led to the penguins going on the flukiest cup run in recent memory

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
back to back cup runs taking their toll

Absolutely. He's only 30-years-old and he's played 950 carer NHL games. And of course he's missed 114 games total with concussion symptoms. Not surprising to see some wear and tear finally set in. Honestly, he's one of those guys I worry about his long-term brain health, ala Franzen.

This is the tampa team that we should have seen last season if they hadn't had all the injuries. Kind of annoyed that it led to the penguins going on the flukiest cup run in recent memory

Remember all the people pushing back against the Wings wanting to sign Stamkos? He's having one of those statement years. Oh no, where would the Wings be paying a premier first line forward capable of scoring tons of points. The horrors of paying elite talent rather than overpaying several 3rd liners.

Credit to Kenny for going all in on freeing up that cap space for him. Getting Stamkos was absolutely the right move that off-season. Just wish his plan B wasn't Helm and Nielsen (who actually carry a higher combined cap than Stamkos, for those that want to feel a little depressed about it).

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Remember all the people pushing back against the Wings wanting to sign Stamkos? He's having one of those statement years. Oh no, where would the Wings be paying a premier first line forward capable of scoring tons of points. The horrors of paying elite talent rather than overpaying several 3rd liners.

Stamkos' numbers had been declining every season since 2011-12. With his injury history and reluctance to move to Wing, many were correct to question the signing. Now that's he's playing with Kucherov, sure. He looks great. But players like Johnson and Palet are suffering for it. And if you want to criticize Detroit for signing guys like Helm and Nielsen, Tampa has plenty of overpaid plugs, too, with Killorn and Callahan.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Look at the trades Poile has made over the last 5 years. Poile gets mislabeled as conservative when he's really not. If you look at the difference in how the two guys trade,it's night and day.

It is just what the hockey insiders talk about in terms of both guys. I know Holland was a lot more aggressive when he was younger. Poile has gotten realy aggressive again here recently. Maybe it is something you do when you have a team on the edge of something for both guys....

My only point was people around Detroit wouldn't be all that enamored with Poile doing what he has done in the first two stops if they love being past the second round constantly. I think he has been unfortunate but just saying there is big evidence there in terms of a lot of very good teams that struggled to put together runs. I like him, I would like to have him as a GM, but he has been at it a long time with a track record a lot of people wouldn't be going nuts over around this forum.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Stamkos' numbers had been declining every season since 2011-12. With his injury history and reluctance to move to Wing, many were correct to question the signing. Now that's he's playing with Kucherov, sure. He looks great. But players like Johnson and Palet are suffering for it. And if you want to criticize Detroit for signing guys like Helm and Nielsen, Tampa has plenty of overpaid plugs, too, with Killorn and Callahan.

Keep fighting the good fight. Shields up for Kenny! Wait, he wanted Stamkos, too. This must be confusing for you.

And other teams having "plugs" doesn't make it OK for our legendary GM to fail to ice a competitive roster. Lowering the bar isn't a great look for the model franchise.

But seriously, my only point was that Holland was right to go all in on Stamkos because he's awesome and is showing he's awesome. And I'm sad instead of Stamkos we settled for depth guys on long contracts. Come on, wallow with me.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Alex Killorn is routinely sitting around .5ppg the past four years and has 13 points in 17 games this year, while eating some notable PP and PK minutes. Callahan is a sucking chest wound for them, but Killorn has been nothing but good for several years.

Credit to Kenny for going all in on freeing up that cap space for him. Getting Stamkos was absolutely the right move that off-season. Just wish his plan B wasn't Helm and Nielsen (who actually carry a higher combined cap than Stamkos, for those that want to feel a little depressed about it).

I was wrong about Stamkos. I didn't think he could transition his game to being more of a playmaker. He still isn't good enough at the dot for me (really have been spoiled by the years of dominant centers in Detroit, huh?), but he's been impressive this year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I never thought Toews could play worse than he has for the past couple years (until he gets old)... but this season its even worse haha. I am very glad we aren't paying a 50-60 point center 10.5 million a year.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I never thought Toews could play worse than he has for the past couple years (until he gets old)... but this season its even worse haha. I am very glad we aren't paying a 50-60 point center 10.5 million a year.
watching the hawks finally implode with a bleak future is satisfying. bowman isn't looking like the greatest gm of all time now that the core is old and overpaid.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The Hawks trading of Hjalmarsson and Panarin... I think Bowman has lost his touch in Chicago.
He's got some good pieces to build around still, but bringing back Saad and Sharp seem like those lazy Ken Holland moves.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Hawks trading of Hjalmarsson and Panarin... I think Bowman has lost his touch in Chicago.
He's got some good pieces to build around still, but bringing back Saad and Sharp seem like those lazy Ken Holland moves.
Fans on this board would say it's time to blow the team up and tank for top picks. Their window to truly content is closed. They are now first and second round exit fodder.

The contracts for Keith, Toews, and Kane all end after the 2022-23 season. Seabrook's the following season. They have $33 million tied up into those four players for at least the next five years. They also have $14 million tied up for at least the next three seasons into Saad, Anisimov, and Murphy and have Hossa's LTIR of $5.2 million for the next three.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fans on this board would say it's time to blow the team up and tank for top picks. Their window to truly content is closed. They are now first and second round exit fodder.

Nah. I don't remember anyone saying the Wings needed to blow it up until Dats and Z were like 33/34 and Lidstrom retired or was in his last season. Kane and Toews are 28 and 29. So maybe in 3-4 years when Duncan Keith retires or is in his last season, you could say that.

Reactions: TheMule93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad