Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly think Dahlin is going to be a legit Franchise Player, in the 60-80 Pt range, but I also think he is going to disappoint many this season as far as Pt Totals are concerned. I think many are expecting 60+ pts right out of the gate, and if he was on Pittsburgh or similar I could see it, but Buffalo is Buffalo and they have a lot of question marks on their team. Even Eichel injuries or not, hasn't been what you could call dominant in any of his three seasons. So far he is a pt a game player, which is great and all, but not equal to his reputation so far. I think he too will get there, but he isn't yet.

I also think while it is good to let Hutton see if he can be a starter, it can just as easily turn into a very good backup being exposed like Scott Darling was. You hope for Raanta like experience, but those are hard to come by.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is the same as when Yzerman got Oates shipped out of town. Now is Mittelstadt going to turn into Fedorov?

But if ROR and Eichel aren't seeing eye to eye that is a pretty easy choice and honestly I still like what Buffalo is. They won't be good next year, but they are basically what people are begging for us to become. They have tanked and played the living **** out of their young players. They finally have the young core that looks like they might run the league. We will see. Dahlin, Risto, Eichel & Mittlestadt is the best young cornerstones in the league in my opinion. Now they have to go out and prove it. But I don't think there is a single team with that much young talent.

Those four are going to run our division at some point. Mostly because they have the two pieces on the back-end already sorted. We will have to see if the Leafs figure that out when they trade Nylander until they do I cannot say it will be them.

What do you mean, by Yzerman got Oates traded? I have never heard of Yzerman demanding Oates be traded.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Yzerman manages to land Karlsson (even if it's just for 1 season) and doesn't give up anything of consequence, I won't even know what to think. He's been a trading wizard these last few seasons.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
What do you mean, by Yzerman got Oates traded? I have never heard of Yzerman demanding Oates be traded.
Just to chip in,,,In those days teams had 1 really good line & 3 checking lines. Y got hurt & Oatsie did a great job as #1 C. That Yser wasn't happy with another good C was a rumor at the time because they traded Oats shortly (maybe worst RW trade ever) for Bernie

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
really annoys me to think about how the Wings could realistically be in on this Karlsson thing right now if they had started rebuilding sooner like they should have

feels like such a missed opportunity,a 28 year old future hall of fame Defenseman like him would be just the thing for capping off a rebuild that was farther advanced

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I am not sure how to link it, but @Jesse Montano said this on Twitter:

"Friedman said that he was told Karlsson is only willing to sign an extension with Tampa at this moment. Between that, and reports from the Ottawa Sun beat writer.. it sounds like EK65 is likely joining Victor Headman to create an absolutely terrifying top pair."

Joe Smith, the Tampa beat writer, and a beat writer out of Ottawa have been echoing this... I can't imagine what the return will be but I'm honestly pretty excited to see that Tampa team if this happens.

Edit: Friedman is now saying that it may not be true that Karlsson Will only sign in Tampa. They may still be the front-runner.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Hearing that Weber is out for another 5-6 months, Holland should call Bergevin and offer up Jensen. Doesn't solve the Weber deal, but it gives them another RHD.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly think Dahlin is going to be a legit Franchise Player, in the 60-80 Pt range, but I also think he is going to disappoint many this season as far as Pt Totals are concerned. I think many are expecting 60+ pts right out of the gate, and if he was on Pittsburgh or similar I could see it, but Buffalo is Buffalo and they have a lot of question marks on their team. Even Eichel injuries or not, hasn't been what you could call dominant in any of his three seasons. So far he is a pt a game player, which is great and all, but not equal to his reputation so far. I think he too will get there, but he isn't yet.

The one thing speaking for good point production out of the gate would be that he has little competition in regards to being the guy on PP, but Buffalo just doesn't have a lot of good forwards so I can't see them scoring a lot of goals. ½ point per game would be a good season on that team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The one thing speaking for good point production out of the gate would be that he has little competition in regards to being the guy on PP, but Buffalo just doesn't have a lot of good forwards so I can't see them scoring a lot of goals. ½ point per game would be a good season on that team.

They had the top PP in the league a couple years ago, even while they were bad.

Reinhart is actually pretty good on the PP and I think a full year of Eichel should help a ton. Buffalo was top half the league with him in the lineup if I remember right and just barely outside of the top 10. Buffalo has a lot of talent to roll over the boards on the first unit. That also ignores what Dahlin himself brings to the Sabres PP. My guess is that is a top 10 unit. But if Buffalo doesn't learn to play better five on five that is where his point total will get hurt.

I think if they play Dahlin with Risto 22+ minutes a night as a pair he is going to flirt with 40+ points. I know that is a lot, but Dahlin is a special player and I think his situation like when Ekblad had his big rookie year to get minutes and prominent roles right out the gate should have serious impact on his point production.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

"Friedman said that he was told Karlsson is only willing to sign an extension with Tampa at this moment. Between that, and reports from the Ottawa Sun beat writer.. it sounds like EK65 is likely joining Victor Headman to create an absolutely terrifying top pair."
That would be legitimately fun to watch. Two Norris caliber d-men like Detroit had for a minute with Lids and Cheli and Anaheim had for a nice little espresso shot with Pronger and Niedermayer.

Git 'er dun, Captain! :yo:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Joe Smith, the Tampa beat writer, and a beat writer out of Ottawa have been echoing this... I can't imagine what the return will be but I'm honestly pretty excited to see that Tampa team if this happens.

Edit: Friedman is now saying that it may not be true that Karlsson Will only sign in Tampa. They may still be the front-runner.

Imagine he could have skipped all the trouble and already hung a Stanley Cup banner if he just went Seth Jones over Drouin. Yes I cannot promise that, but I do believe that with every fiber of my being.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Yzerman is going all in on that Cup, the right move to make in my opinion, and the lightning have the prospects to give up.

Gonna be real interesting to see how he made this work with the cap, and what he gives up.

Lightning are instant cup favorites no doubt.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yzerman is going all in on that Cup, the right move to make in my opinion, and the lightning have the prospects to give up.

You give up what it takes to get Karlsson. He's one of the biggest difference makers in the league. Unreal that Yzerman pulled this off IN THE DIVISION.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Yzerman is a god if he doesn't give up Sergachev, though I wouldn't blame him if he did, gotta think Cal Foote+++ is going out otherwise.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
June 2017, Toronto Maple Leafs fan brushes dust off golden lantern:
"You have summoned the genie of the north. I can grant you three wishes to take place over the 400 Earth days. What are your wishes?"

"I want John Tavares to sign with the Maple Leafs. Oh and to a reasonable contract."
"It will be done."

"I hate Montreal. How about Trade Galchenyuk, and Sergachev. Hmm and hurt Weber too."
"It will be done."

"I hate Ottawa too. Make them completely disfunctional. Locker room nightmare, empty stands. Trade away Hoffman, Karlsson and anyone else that's good. Win the lottery without a 1st rounder. Just ruin them."
"It will be done. I bid you goodbye."

And in classic genie fashion the Karlsson trade is going to result in Tampa beating Toronto in the playoffs every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad