Around the NHL 2015-16: Part VII - Campy McCamp Face Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
What confuses me is why some people seem to be flat out opposed to offer sheets. If the offer gets matched by the player's current team, so what? It's not like you've lost anything in trying. I don't understand the logic that we just shouldn't even attempt the offer sheet route. I get not relying on the plan, but I think it should still be explored and tried.

And don't give me the "it strains the relationship with the opposing GM" argument, I don't buy that for a second.
But that's the argument.

These guys don't have their jobs because they're skilled, it's because they know the right people.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That's the point, as the cap growth fails to keep up with contract growth, teams will be in more crippling situations.

Giving up picks isn't crippling either....we traded close to 4 first rounders for Oreilly, was it crippling?

I expect the offersheet damn to break in the future, whether it's this year or the next. I think the reality that top defensemen don't make it to UFA, and they aren't traded for anything short of cornerstone type players (Hall)... the offersheet route, although costly, will prove appropriate. Just as we saw it almost happen with Hamilton last year, and rumors of Trouba/Lindholm this year.

Nobody can fully predict the future as regards cap vs. contracts... however if it goes as you say then there will come a time when the Sabres are in that same situation.

Would I give up four first round picks for Lindholm @ $7.5m/per (using ROR comparison) - very probably if not definitely.

Would I give up four first round picks for Lindholm @ $10m/per ? - that's a different question.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wisniewski bought out. I'd be pretty cool with signing him (without a big commitment) and shipping Franson off to space. Better bottom-pair/PP option.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What confuses me is why some people seem to be flat out opposed to offer sheets. If the offer gets matched by the player's current team, so what? It's not like you've lost anything in trying. I don't understand the logic that we just shouldn't even attempt the offer sheet route. I get not relying on the plan, but I think it should still be explored and tried.

And don't give me the "it strains the relationship with the opposing GM" argument, I don't buy that for a second.

I'm against them because in order for them to work the contract has to be a sizable overpayment. Which can lead to cap issues as well as messing up your own salary structure.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Chiarelli showing loyalty to a fault, trying to show that his club won't be a pushover anymore. I expect Lucic to be an even bigger ----head than usual during the 1st half of the season while he fulfills his goon appointment.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Lucic really has Edmonton over a barrel. After the Hall trade disaster...everyone and their mother knows they're counting on adding Lucic. Every fan trying to justify the horrible trade says "well...its Lucic and Larsson...". He can demand whatever he wants...Chia needs a win. Even if it means doubling down on a loss.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's now the time of the year when development camps start and every team got the steal of the draft. Dubois scored two goals so he's a man amongst boys.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
FWIW Ekblad still has one year left on his ELC so this would be an extension that technically can't be signed until tomorrow and won't start until the 17/18 season.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Looking like Ladd is getting the red carpet treatment in Brooklyn and at Chelsea...
Will be interesting to see $$$ he commands. If I'm the Isles and it's in the same ballpark as Okposo I'd be inclined to resign Kyle.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Obviously different players, buts that's alot different than the Seth Jones deal. I wonder where Risto falls.

Where should he fall? Not more than Jones. What do I think Murray and Pegula pay him? Around $6m per.

I wanna punch a wall everytime someone posts a HERO chart.

I would strongly advise that you stay off Twitter after Risto signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad