Around the NHL 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

I'm hopeful Weiss and Alfredsson can breathe some life into tomorrow's stale lineup. We'll see.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Blackhawks have the 21 year-old 3rd round pick Joakim Nordstrom on their starting roster tonight. They have 23 year-old Jimmy Hayes starting. They have 20 year-old Brandon Saad starting. They won the Stanley Cup last year.

We don't have room for our 24 year-old top prospect.

**** this team.

Yeah I'm very jealous of their bottom 6, and how they let their young players play.

I put it somewhere before, but I think they have 4 players in their bottom 6 that were drafted the year Nyquist was drafted or sooner.

It's part of why they have such good team speed, and it's really nice to have energy lines with young legs in your bottom 6.

Also they said during the broadcast that Nordstrom is 6'1 and 160 or 165 lbs. Another reason why he wouldn't play for Babcock lol.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know it is just one night and still early in the season but so many goalies look to be off their angle compensating for these new pads. Think we are going to have a very high scoring season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know it is just one night and still early in the season but so many goalies look to be off their angle compensating for these new pads. Think we are going to have a very high scoring season.

Wow, just got home.

Holy crap these are some high scoring final scores. You really think it's that slight pad difference, or a lot of these guys (goalies) are just rusty?

Looks like maybe there could be a few guys over 100 pts this year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The five hole difference with the new pads is pretty significant. That shouldn't knock them off their angles, but change is hard to get used to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wow, just got home.

Holy crap these are some high scoring final scores. You really think it's that slight pad difference, or a lot of these guys (goalies) are just rusty?

The five hole difference with the new pads is pretty significant. That shouldn't knock them off their angles, but change is hard to get used to.

That difference is enough to throw off some angles, what I am seeing is guys not knowing when to cheat. They know they cannot flat out take away the bottom in a classic butterfly. You also have a bunch of guys breaking in new pads still with rebounds flying all over the place.

Some good news here, Jimmy lost a half inch or something pretty minimal as he was never a big cheater in this particular rule.

I think it is going to have some impact, especially since goalies really hate giving up five hole goals, so the fact there should be more might really play with some minds.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That difference is enough to throw off some angles, what I am seeing is guys not knowing when to cheat. They know they cannot flat out take away the bottom in a classic butterfly. You also have a bunch of guys breaking in new pads still with rebounds flying all over the place.

Some good news here, Jimmy lost a half inch or something pretty minimal as he was never a big cheater in this particular rule.

I think it is going to have some impact, especially since goalies really hate giving up five hole goals, so the fact there should be more might really play with some minds.

I think the bigger five hole played some tricks last night. There were some rather soft goals going in elsewhere instead. But I think we're only talking about an adjustment period of one or two months. Scoring might increase anyway though, who knows.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wow, just got home.

the Toronto/Montreal game was like ******* pond hockey, so that contributed. The score doesn't even properly reflect how end to end that game was. Odd man rush after odd man rush, especially in the 2nd.

I predict a lot of traditional Eastern teams getting mad at Detroit for playing "boring" hockey.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the bigger five hole played some tricks last night. There were some rather soft goals going in elsewhere instead. But I think we're only talking about an adjustment period of one or two months. Scoring might increase anyway though, who knows.
I just went through the highlights for the games I didn't watch, and I think this is about right. A lot of goals went in last night that normally wouldn't have, especially harmless-looking wristers from medium to long range.

Not that they went five hole, I mean, but I think it has the goalies a little weirded out. Maybe paranoid about their pad positioning right now.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
11. Brett Connolly, Max Domi, Jonathan Drouin, Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk are disappointed right now, but should listen to Stephen Weiss, who just signed in Detroit. After seeing how prepared the Red Wings' young players are for the NHL, Weiss said, "In Florida...a lot of times the young guys come up, they come to the big time right away and maybe they're not as ready. Maybe I wasn't as ready as I could've been at 19...You can see it [in Detroit] with these kids, they're big and strong and ready to be pros now."

15. Back to Weiss, on his biggest adjustment in Detroit: playing man-to-man defence after a lifetime of zone coverage. During an exhibition loss to Pittsburgh last week, he said he was "looking to play the zone and then thought, 'Wait a minute, I gotta find somebody here.'"

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...-kessel-others-set-market-for-nhls-elite.html

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The Leafs could have kept Mikhail Grabovski... Instead they pay Tyler Bozak a crap ton of money to be an offensive inhibitor. HAH!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
re: Leafs cap situation

$17,450,000 tied up between Kessel, Bozak, and Clarkson til '17-'18, just realized that. Wow.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm not convinced Dion will get a raise. I think he will take slightly less or the same. $6.5 is 1st pair money nowadays, and I don't think his play has caused anyone to believe he needs anything more than he is getting.

Kadri will likely be due for quite a raise, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad